Enter to Win: 3-Play system from Impact Acoustics

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The Impact Acoustics team wants you to win. To that end, two (2) random winners will be selected from folks discussing the topic described below to receive a complete 3-Play system including one 3-Play High Performance Component Video/Digital Audio Selector, four 6ft Velocity Component Video Cables and four 2m Velocity Toslink Optical Digital Cables (valued at over $280)! Click here for more information on the 3-play system.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
  1. What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?
  2. What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?
Note this contest ends on March 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
The Impact Acoustics team wants you to win. To that end, two (2) random winners will be selected from folks discussing the topic described below to receive a complete 3-Play system including one 3-Play High Performance Component Video/Digital Audio Selector, four 6ft Velocity Component Video Cables and four 2m Velocity Toslink Optical Digital Cables (valued at over $280)! Click here for more information on the 3-play system.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
Note this contest ends on March 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!
CL3 rated to be able to go behind drywall. A professional look. Oxygen free.

IMHO wire should be rated when you buy what maximum lenght is recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

talannar

Junior Audioholic
Cost. Absolutely cost. I prefer terminating my own wire, so I like to buy in bulk. Second to cost would be wire gauge...12AWG or 10AWG preferred.

I'd like to see something along the lines of a bend measurement....I mean, how far can I bend this wire? In some situations I might need to bend it 90 degrees (or pretty close).

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
3-play

Cable quality, price, performance, durability, and customer serivice.

Cable R C and L measurements at DC and over the audio/video frequency range. Other scientific measurements and reviews from competitent sources like AH. Where the cable is manufactured. A product perfromance gaurantee.

T

Tritonman

Junior Audioholic

Cost of course. How well the company stands behind their product and there reputation in the Audio/Video community

Distance vs signal degradation. Non-hyped performance measurements done in a "real world" scenario

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic

Cost is the primary factor - to rated max distance specs with no performance-effecting signal degradation.

Distance vs real-world signal degradation - I could care less about loss, VSWR, etc. I just want to know what QUANTIFIABLE impact it will have on video or audio quality. Better is only better up to the point that you can detect it with human senses.

~Josh

S

sy527x

Audioholic Intern
Cost, first-and-foremost. Quality of the cables is a close second.

Not meaning to copy the previous post, but I think signal degradation-to-cable length measurement is a good thing to know.

Y

Youzer

Enthusiast
!. Cost then quality....there has to be middle ground!
2. Scientific data on measurements produced by analyzing each cable

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Cost & Quality

Distance vs real-world signal degradation - I could care less about loss, VSWR, etc. I just want to know what QUANTIFIABLE impact it will have on video or audio quality. Better is only better up to the point that you can detect it with human senses. (sorry wilkenboy, I lifted this because I couldn't say it better!):eek:

SBF1

K

kli

Audiophyte
In Again

1) Cost, Quality, Mfr reliability/cs/rep
2) Whats the real world perf. diff btwn different brands.

cajun600

cajun600

Enthusiast
1) Look at cost almost completely. A conductor is a conductor

2) I would like to see bending restraints as to how far and how much a wire can be bent.

B

Bobby2x

Junior Audioholic
Customer Service and reputation.

I'd also like to see something about bend measurement.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
connnector plating/base metal, strand #, gauge and metal composition

2. What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you.
resistance, inductance, capacitance/ unit length
actual amount/type of plating on connectors and the actual purity of wire - not just a BS statement of "ultra-pure OHFC" or something of that sort...

H

HiJon89

Audioholic

The biggest factor is price to performance ratio. I don't need the absolute best cables since my equipment isn't very high-end. I just want a solid cable at a budget price.

I want to see some scientific, inarguable data that shows that very expensive cables perform better.

R

Rutlanda

Junior Audioholic
Answers

Cost and build quality. I prefer to buy a cable that offers both reliable preformance and good asthetics

The real truth about performance...do any cables really offer anthing better. Are we just paying for the name and the techflex?

Senior Audioholic
1) Price, construction quality

2) specifications of the wire type

Bodymechanic

Bodymechanic

Junior Audioholic
Factors: Size and shielding

Info I'd like to know: I'd like to see a graphic representation of degredation of signal over distance. Some runs can get quite long.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?

Quality of the cable (i.e. no snake-oil claims) which basically means a cable is good at what it does unless the manufactuer is saying it is better than other cables for some crazy reason. And price.

Typically, this means I buy Hosa and Home Depot cables.

What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?

Technical support that can help solve my problems, and not just an answer like "this cable will get rid of the noise" or "balanced power will make everything better". I recently spoke with an engineer at Furman Sound and he was extremely helpful and honest. That is the kind of help I'm looking for.

Measurements that back up cable performance is also good. Like Blue Jeans having tested DVI cables at their longer runs to transmit video without degredation.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

Price is most important. Of course, it must be able to do what is needed (i.e., transfer the signal without perceptible degradation), or it is worthless, so quality is important, but I don't need wire filled with magic pixies or blessed by the pope.

What are the real differences, if any, between their wire and other wire? Again, I am not interested in magic pixies or wire blessed by the pope. I want wire that gets the job done (i.e., transfer the signal without perceptible degradation), and I don't want to waste any money on anything beyond that.

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic

Price, quality, appearance & customer service.

What are the real differences, if any, of a particular cable. I'm only interested in perceptible differences in audio or video quality and don't care about esoteric measurements that don't impact the final experience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis