Enter to Win: 20% off SVS order!

What is your preferred speaker topology?

• Direct Radiator

Votes: 91 79.1%
  • Bipole/Dipole

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Line Array

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Truncated Line Array

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gromitXT

Audiophyte
I definitely prefer direct radiating for the most part. While I currently have direct radiating all around, I'd be willing to experiment with dipoles for surround speakers. I don't think I'd use Line Array unless I were (re)building a home theater from the ground up, which isn't too likely for me.

g

D

dannv

Junior Audioholic
my prefered speakers are direct radiating tower speakers, this may be because i only listen in stereo though.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I've always had direct radiator, so i guess i prefer it because i've never had anything else. I wouldn't be opposed to dipoles for surrounds though.

H

hogfan

Audioholic Intern
All I have ever owned were direct radiating but I would love to own ANY Martin Logans & have a svs pb12-plus2 in my room.;)

K

kgb540

Audioholic
I have owned virtually of the designs mentioned and I have been most satisifed over long periods of time with the direct radiating speakers.

T

TonyWright

Audiophyte
I have always had the best luck with direct radiators. Could be a result of the rooms I have my gear in, but that has been my preference through the years.

A

Arland Rae

Audiophyte
Discount

I voted for direct because it is one of two choices that I know about. I realy don't understand the question I just want a chance to win something. I like any speaker that sounds good.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I like direct for the mains and center, dipolar for the surrounds and direct for the rears (7.1).

P

Phillip Tran

Enthusiast
what do these different speaker types mean?

I think the technical description of each speaker type should be explained. Unless, the purpose of poll is testing voters' knowledge.

I voted direct for main speaker. For surround speakers I need to do more research.

Goodluck everyone,

W

Walbodiddy

Audiophyte
I tend to lean towards direct radiators, likely because they are both versatile and familiar.

T

Tumara Baap

Enthusiast
Di/Bipolar speakers would be a superior choice in a strictly 2 channel or 2.1 system. Implented well they can really contribute to imaging, ambience and spaciousness. Most of us however are now using our rigs for 5.1 or 7.1 systems. Whereas I would strongly consider bipoles/dipoles as surrounds in a 5.1 system, I'll stick with high quality (very) wide dispersion direct radiators for 7.1 ... I'd want all loudspeakers very closely tonally matched, and if possible to be identical. Following implementation of proper diffusion treatment in the room, "monkey coffins" are indeed the ones with most promise for 7.1 setups.
Tumara Baap

Loner

Loner

Audioholic Intern
If money wasn't an issue, I'd say the line array, something like the Epiphany's. Infinity use to have a large line array model also, don't know if they still do. There's something very special about very large, heavy speakers.......must be all that power.....:eek: :cool:

K

kwadswor

Audiophyte
Visually, I like the looks of line array speakers. but I've never heard a set so i'll have to vote for direct radiators over the rest of the crowd.

N

NMEU

Audiophyte
give me a coupon

All of my speakers are direct radiating because that was what was in the budget. Man i want one of those SVS subs. The article on them is so awesome.

G

Greygown

Audiophyte
I agree with the mob here. Direct radiator for fronts and Dipole for surrounds. I like line array but the expense and size are impractical for me. I don't think you can create a successful line array without major cash. I would prefer a single direct radiator with high quality drivers than a large line array using cheaper drivers. If I had a large theatre room, and an extra 10K, the I would jump at a great line array set up...

M

maxcooper

Audiophyte
Direct, but I haven't had much experience with the other types.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Because of the room

My response (direct radiator) is based on the fact that I have a well treated room that would be considered moderately dead.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Just want that low cost - near field sound.

Direct radiator all the waaayyyy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis