Enter to Win: 20% off SVS order!

What is your preferred speaker topology?

• Direct Radiator

Votes: 91 79.1%
  • Bipole/Dipole

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Line Array

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Truncated Line Array

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

briansmith

Junior Audioholic
I have no idea but I sure would like that coupon.

T

tbag

Audiophyte
Speaker Preference

Maybe I'm a simple man, or maybe I like the idea that fewer drivers per speaker means that each driver is of higher quality, either way, I'm a fan of direct radiators.

D

Diablo

Audioholic Intern
I prefer the fronts to be direct radiators and the surrounds to be dipoles or bipoles

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
Direct Radiator type speakers can sound superb and are often cheaper in cost than more exotic types.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
What is your preferred speaker topology?

What is your preferred speaker topology? Response: I prefer bipole speakers because the bipole design, to quote Definitive Technology -- whose bipole, powered-towers I own -- provides "room-filling, three-dimensional sound." I think the in-phase rear reflections of my four bipole Def Tech speakers -- used for my two fronts and two surrounds in conjunction with my direct-radiating center speaker and one back rear speaker in my 6.1 system -- create a wider, more spacious soundstage in my dual-purpose family room/home theater, which has plenty of curtains, room corners, chairs, and rugs.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Direct radiator because, well, it's the only type I have heard and I like it a lot.

J

jdbwolverines

Audioholic Intern
I chose bipole/dipole simply because I love the way they create such a surrond sound atmosphere. I do prefer direct radiators for my mains though. One day I would love to have the funds to try out a sweet line array setup

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
5 timbre matched direct radiator speakers, all toed toward the sweet spot slightly, with surrounds elevated from listening position 1-2ft.

Good balance between HT and DVD-A preferred setups.

Also, the most versatile when upgrading. A direct radiator surround could do duty as a L/R in a smaller system, where di/bipoles are stuck in surround duty.

~Josh

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Direct radiator, mainly for value and simplicity. Dipole surrounds are nice though..

morrone

morrone

Enthusiast
Direct, with dipoles for surrounds

I like direct for mains. Nice and simple. For surrounds for movies, I like dipoles. However I'd like to try directs for good surround music from good DVD-Audio or SACD recordings. The dipoles don't do quite as well with music.

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
Direct radiator because I believe it is the most efficient (less drivers) and therefore cheapest to make. Dipoles are for surround sound.

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Like my Omni-polars thank you very much

I like my Mirage omni-polar speakers just fine. I also like directs but I like the omni-polars best.:)

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
I choose Direct!!!!

BTW if I win I promise to buy two of the tall plus powered cylinders within 2 weeks of the end of the contest.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Direct radiatiors for mains and center. Quad-pole for surrounds.

For the mains and center you want directionality. For the surrounds you want the "envelope" effect.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Long Live the Horn!

As everybody here on the forums know, I prefer horns for their efficiency, low distortion, controlled dispersion, lack of time and phase alignment issues due to multiple drivers, and most importantly, the quality of the sound with little power.

S

segway

Audiophyte
Direct radiators for me because of the cost/sound factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis