Enter to Win: 20% off SVS order!

What is your preferred speaker topology?

• Direct Radiator

Votes: 91 79.1%
  • Bipole/Dipole

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Line Array

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Truncated Line Array

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ETTsiAWD

Audiophyte
Irradiated!

I voted for direct radiator, as I suppose I'm a stereo snob at heart ;) A good recording on good speakers in a reasonably well set up room sounds completely 3-dimensional on its own, without requiring the "non-directional fill" effects of bipole/dipole. I actually have Axiom's "quadpolar" surrounds and they do an admirable job of providing enveloping ambiance in movie mixes, but for music listening I still prefer a well-mastered stereo performance with the "enormous room" soundstage :)

S

smorlan

Audiophyte
Pick me SVS

I suppose direct radiators are the speaker of choice with most people because of cost, not necessarily because of sound. I however love the tight punch these speakers generate.

J

jc1carter829@ho

Audioholic Intern
I like to have the use of direct sound from my rears speakers, especially for music in 5.1 surround sound!!!! Makes for a better presentation.

Jest

Audiophyte
I voted Direct R.

Not sure I completely understand the question "speaker topology?" :confused: but here goes :

I personally prefer (in my current room) to have direct radiators for my front three channels & bi/di spreaders for the rears. This gives me the ability to enjoy both movies & 2 channel sources. I've been thinking lately that i may add a second set of bi-polar speakers above my front L&R channels wich I could switch to when watching movies... hmmmm :rolleyes: i may have to experiment.

Anyway, I gave my vote to D.R.'s overall because of thier simplicity and more importantly thier
versatiliy....

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
if im limited to one of the choices then id chose direct because they sound the best seperately

if youre talkin about surrounds then id switch it to bi/dipole

M

minnichs

Enthusiast
I prefer direct radiating for the front LCR and Dipole/bipole for surrounds.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I prefer the traditional direct radiator. Heck, as old as I am, I haven't graduated to anything else. ;)

E

eltorrente

Audiophyte
I voted for direct radiator. I am a little leary about fancy approaches to speaker design. Direct Radiators all the way.

D

daggerNC

Audiophyte
I voted "Other" because the main preference for me is Direct radiator. However, the last/best "audiophile" speaker system I owned were dipolar electrostatics - and just loved the sound I could achieve for 2-channel audio. But, these didn't work in a Home Theater environment, so currently on the direct radiator page (though planning on upgrading to a ribbon tweeter technology as a compromise solution). Line arrays can sound awesome, but are difficult to design and execute correctly, require the very best drivers and thus dictate very expensive speakers (and lots of floor space)....

daggerNC

G

G-force

Enthusiast
I too vote for direct for all the same reasons I found my fascination for speakers and subwoofers way back when I was about 14. I just love the familiar look of foward firing speakers, and the subtle movement (sometimes extreme;) ) I've always had a thing for the asthetics of subwoofers themselves from the cone depth to the dustcap and a nice thick surround. Everything about the appearance of them makes me grin. To the point where I've been known to buy beefy car subwoofers and just let them sit in my room to gawk at, and inspect. I remember when I was a kid building model cars, I would disassemble headphones and mount the speakers in the cars I built just so I could have scale subwoofers in my models. Of course now just about every toy car in the stores has both amps and subwoofers in them, but that's not nearly as cool as the ones my toys had.

T

Tolli

Audiophyte
direct radiator - because of their flexability they can work in many setups.

A

akline

Audiophyte
direct radiator, there is a reason they have been around so long...I think they have the best sound for the price.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
Direct Radiator, it's the only kind I own, and the only kind I'm familiar with.

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
I chose direct radiator, mainly because its simple in design and is easy enough for an audio enthusiast like me to setup in multiple room scenarios without tweaking too much, or worrying about crazy room modes that come with all those angled drivers.

R

radchad3

Audioholic Intern
I am in the majority on this one. I like the direct radiating speakers. I think they sound very nice with the setup I have and feel they give a more in-your-face sound which is what I was looking for! Very happy with this design concept! Thanks!! Chad

H

h0mestar

Audiophyte
I voted for Direct Radiator; They're what I own and know. Also direct radiator speakers are what most speaker vendors in my price range produce. I do plan on adding a set of dipoles for surround on a new room I am setting up.

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
I'm old school.I like my music direct......just like at a concert:D

D

DrPainMD

Audioholic Intern
I prefer the Direct radiator bookshelf speakers. Im used to it and cant teach a old dog new tricks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis