Enter to Win: 20% off SVS order!

What is your preferred speaker topology?

• Direct Radiator

Votes: 91 79.1%
  • Bipole/Dipole

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Line Array

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Truncated Line Array

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
SV Sound wants your opinion!

SV Sound is offering five (5) 20% off coupons redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (August 31st, 2006) to eligible forum members.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Respond to the poll above and explain your response below in this contest thread.

Note this contest ends on August 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
I guess I am a tradionalist. I just like two normal speakers pointing at my head! *grin* I suppose the other types have their uses, but in my home theater, I use all direct radiating speakers, even for my surrounds.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker preferences

I prefer the Direct radiator bookshelf speaker topology, but I don't mind bipole or dipole speakers for the surround channels. For now, large line array type speakers don't meet the budget and WAF requirements of my HT/living room.

S

squire.10@osu.e

Audioholic Intern
I guess I'm only checking the speaker type that it in use in my own system. I really would like to obtain bi/dipole speakers for my surrounds, but right now everything is direct-radiating. It saddens me to say that I'm not too familiar with the other setups, but I'm willing to try out anything that will be a noticeable improvement in my system. Love my SVS 20-39pc+!!

nyf

Enthusiast
I voted direct radiators, because I'm renting right now and don't want to deal with hauling some huge line arrays around. But I will definitely try out line arrays in the future.

K

Kyle_D

Audiophyte
Direct radiators are the most flexible and will function well in just about any speaker position.

M

Mat_M

Audiophyte
Can I do both? Direct radiator and Line Array :cool:

As stated above, DRs are the most flexible, and Line Arrays are just plain cool

Last edited:
amagiri

amagiri

Enthusiast
Traditionalist

Direct radiating fits the budget and most rooms. Dipole/bipole are best for surrounds.

A

aybates

Audiophyte
Like others, I voted for Direct Radiators because they offer the most flexibility for a wide-variety of set-ups. If I could design my own listening room, however, I would probably go with Di/Bipoles.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
My vote is on direct radiator speaker simple because they seem to offer the most over value. Bipole/Dipole may be good for surrounds but not mains. Line arrays may sound the best overall but they are typically very high end and may not be worth the extra cost.

Kono

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
My thoughts are . . . why mess with a good thing.

B

blkgto

Audiophyte
The Bi/Di seem somewhat gimmicky and seem to have intermittent results based on the nature of the surround effect. Direct is the "tried and true" setup for most situations.

K

kens

Enthusiast
I voted for direct rather than Di/Bi since I prefer them for music and I think they work just as well for movies. To be honest I haven't heard line arrays (though I have heard good things about them).

dwayland

dwayland

Audioholic
Although I am a current traditional speaker user, I chose "Line Array." I find the technology behind these concert blasting beasts awesome. The engineering behind them to make a truly great live performance in a HUGE open area is simply staggering. If you consider all of the things going against achieving good clean loud sound at a concert, these speakers, when designed, built and placed correctly can sound simply amazing. Without them we would be still watching live concerts with stacks and stacks of monitors shoving tons of distorted, cancelled out harmonics right into our ears, but with the advent of line array we can now hear clear, loud sound without having to listen to the wave form battle going on all around us. No matter how pure we like to listen to our music on a sweet 2 channel tube amp, don't we all still LOVE to go to a live concert? After all, isn't that we are all trying to achieve anyway? The sound of actually being there?

Last edited:
HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
My choice is...

Direct radiating is what i voted.

They may not be high on the cool factor but they seem to do the job just fine in my setup. I agree with previous statements, they probably offer the most placement flexibility.

M

mdy

Enthusiast
For my home theater I prefer direct radiators up front and bipole/dipole for the surrounds.

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Direct radiator, easiest to find, good to great quality, and low to high prices. You can find something for every budget and every room in them.

Steve

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Radiator. Tried and true. Oh and a Senns HD580 for late night listening.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis