Enter to Win: 20% off SVS order!

What is your preferred speaker topology?

• Direct Radiator

Votes: 91 79.1%
  • Bipole/Dipole

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Line Array

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Truncated Line Array

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brucewoodington

Audioholic Intern
Always seem to like the sound of the direct radiators the best. Shopping now. Listening to lots of speakers.

G

gboehm

Audiophyte
just personal preference, I prefer direct radiators. I do not have experience with surrounds but I did try some bipoles for my fronts and I returned them.

P

Puppetz

Audioholic Intern
I prefer direct radiator speakers for my home theater. I've used bipoles for my mains in the past and prefer the sound of direct radiators (maybe it was just the acoustics of that particular room). Dipoles are my choice for the surrounds, but I prefer the sound of direct radiators for all other speakers.

I'm not familiar with line array speakers for home applications; I associate those with the massive hanging towers of speakers you see at concerts.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Direct radiator gives great "Bang for the buck" and comes in all shapes and sizes.

SBF1

G

Geek-from-TX

Audiophyte
I voted for the direct radiator because it is the type that I am most familiar hearing.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
I went with direct radiator. I have not acquired the money to try any of the others and direct has been around for ages!

B

Berty52

Audioholic Intern
Direct radiator is the most common type, that's probably why I bought mine. Never try or heard dipole for surround.

R

Rik

Audioholic
Direct radiator speakers for mains for me until line arrays come down in price.

B

Buckles

Audiophyte
Still debating on most of my new system although it will be a mix of direct radiator as well as dipoles for my surround. The only component that is 100% decided upon for me is the SVS PB12-NSD/2.....perhaps the PLUS/2 with a 20% voucher :) I will be ordering within 3 months and cannot wait!

J

jonnyb567

Audiophyte
I voted for the bipole/dipole option, because i believe that after listening between the bipoles and direct radiators in the surrounds in particular, I just felt more immersed in the music and home theater viewing.

My only complaint about bipole speakers is that you need an enclosed room in order to get optimum sound, but i feel in optimal conditions, they sound better than direct radiating speakers.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
I am a fan of a true to life "old school" direct radiating type speaker. I have tested and played with many others and have found that even though there is a definitive sweet spot for the lidtening position nothing else comes close to the real live imaging you get from a good quality direct radiating speaker desing. I am not for the sound everywhere pitch that has many a person who is easily turned to the dark side.

M

moodyda

Audioholic Intern
:cool: I definately prefer direct for in your face 2 channel stereo. I also like Bipoles for surrounds for that spatial sense as opposed to the in phase alternatives.

V

vbguy01

Audiophyte
I like the direct but I'm just a noob and don't really know too much about all the others. :confused:

H

hondof1

Audiophyte
Direct radiator best bang for the buck

Although every type of speaker has it's pluses and minuses, direct radiators seem to be the best value. I enjoyed my ESS's with their Heil air motion tweeters, but now I'm very fond of my Phase Tech PS 3.1 II's soft dome tweeters.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I am not sure (or rather not up to answering the question)
As I have entered tons of these contests (just about every one up till now), and have never won.

Where my friend majorloser (whom I brought to AH, has won at least 5-6 times)
And I started entering way before him.
(I am wondering if it (the contests) are rigged, or that the random drawing looks for particular names)

And usually I give IMO what are great replies. Even the one that wanted help with their website - I gave honest opinions.
However - I am done with that...

But so I can say I at least now will try 50%. I have at least entered the thread...

H

Hutzal

Audioholic Intern
I am just not scoping out my HT system & I really looked forward to using axioms QS8s (bipole/dipole).

I have heard great things about them and can't wait to test trial them!

S

Shortsord

Audioholic Intern
Direct radiator. I've never been pleased with anything less, and I can hardly see how it can be improved. Set them towards me, and I'm happy.

B

bigjohnstudd

Audiophyte
bigjohnstudd

Dipole. By the way I am new here - what up????

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I currently use Direct radiator for all 7 speakers.
I would like to hear and evaluate di-pole speakers. I've heard good things said about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis