Enter to Win: $100 off VTF-3 MK2 Sub from Hsu!

Where in room is it practical to place your subwoofer(s)?

• Front left corner

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Front right corner

Votes: 35 38.0%
  • Rear left corner

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Rear right corner

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Front center

• Nearfield right of couch

• Nearfield left of couch

• Nearfield behind couch

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Other-Please describe in the forum

Votes: 11 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
The room is 24'L x 14"W x 9'H. The right side of the room opens up into the kitchen and dining room, giving the sub a little over 650 sqft x 9"H to fill with base. I'm thinking that the front right along the 6' wall would be best. But I may change my mind after the initial setup.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
My room is 13x10x8', with an open 7' pocket along the left 13' wall (used to be a closed that i opened up). My sub is currently in that pocket.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My room is 19x20 with a high vaulted ceiling, peaking about 15ft. It is open to the kitchen and a hallway, so the room is quite large. In one corner is the fireplace, and the other is the kitchen, which leaves me with only the other two corners to place my sub. I have my setup in the right front corner so that I could get a good spread on the mains while also moving the first reflections furhter out. This also allows me to benefit from the fireplace because it is off to the side rather than behind as it would be in a conventional setup. This means the logical place for my sub is behind the system in the corner

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HT room

14 x 23 x 8-10 ft. vaulted ceiling. The back half of the room is open to a dining and entry way on one side. Possible sub locations include the front corners and front center.

J

Jottle

Audioholic Intern
My room is 14X10X10. There are two open doorways on either end and I have hardwood floors that aren't really covered with anything but one slim rug. Two doors enter into the room, thus the sub can only be placed (reasonably) on the front right or left as I don't have any wall sockects on the adjacent wall.

R

RoroCo

Enthusiast
My room is huge, but It is wide open on the left side and the right side has a door and a bay window... Front left is the only spot I have...maybe..maybe the rear right too. But drawing the wires back their would be a pain.

L

Legairre

Audiophyte
My room is 13'x24'x7'.4". I have a 4' opening that has french bi-fold doors to cover the entrance so the room can be sealed off. My theater is in the basement and while a single VTF3-MK2 + HO turbo (thats right VTF3-MK2 + HO turbo :) ) currently rocks the house another VTF-3 MK2 would be soooooo sweet. Then maybe I could find another HO turbo too.:cool:

Last edited:
hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Approx a 12'x12' square with 8 ft ceilings, the floor is nearly totally covered with a very heavy rug. There are two windows, about 4'x30" with heavy drapes on them. On the right hand side, there are two large tables with a lot of radio equipment on them, making that wall mostly inaccessible, except for surrounds mounted about 6' off the floor. The room is fairly bright sounding now, but measures will be taken to deaden it soon.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Contest Question: What are the approximate dimensions (HxWxD) of your music/home theater room (describe in detail any open floorplans, unique room features, etc).
My room is a 25x15x8. All carpet.
Sub is in the corner behind a recliner.
Not ideal but the place to really put it. Stupid apartments.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
Currently the best placement is in the front left corner. This provides the best response with some boost for the listening area.

My HT listening area is 8'X12'X15' which is in my basement. I call this a listening area because the back of my HT seating is at 15' and listening area opens up to the rest of the basement. So really I have three solid walls, left, front, and right. Then the rear opens up to the rest of my basement.

Kono

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Contest Question: What are the approximate dimensions (HxWxD) of your music/home theater room (describe in detail any open floorplans, unique room features, etc).

8x15x13 (living room) viewing position is 12' from screen (ie width of room).
Room opens into kitchen (5' opening) 8'x25'x7' and hallway. hardwood in living room and tile/granite in kitchen.

Biggest issue is aestectics requirements from wife. So.. lack of sound damping material (ie. no popcorn ceiling, a few paintings, drapes and that's it.)

Is there any way to make the sub look like a beatiful side table?? :D

Only placement is beside/behind couches.

EDIT: BTW, I don't want to win... I can't afford a $600 sub.... I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
M

muzakluver

Enthusiast
My room is 13.5'w x 22'l x 8'h. It has a stairway leading up and out, but the resulting ceiling stairstepping equals no change in room volume. It has 3 doors which have exterior grade construction and quality gaskets. Concrete floor with VERY plush carpet. Smooth drywall with 1/8 inch plaster over coat, 3 walls are exterior and well insulated.

Front stage is along the shorter wall, and the center is offset about 1.5 feet from the room center-line. I have my 2 TN1220:eek: subs placed directly behind my floorstanding speakers right at the front wall. With the dual subs and some minor luck, I have very few room modes around the main seating positions which is about 11.5 feet from the screen and 13.5 feet from the front wall. Not sure where I'd place the VTF-3...maybe directly behind the couch on the room center line about 8 feet from the rear wall.

My recent addition has been a Samsung HLS6188 DLP RPTV. WOW! It doesn't affect my bass performance, but it looks darn good! :cool:

Dr. Hsu Rocks! (can't wait to hear the HB-1s!!!) and to pit the VTF-3 against the TN1220s.

Cheers

Mark

M

muzakluver

Enthusiast
My room is 13.5'w x 22'l x 8'h. It has a stairway leading up and out, but the resulting ceiling stair-stepping equals no change in net room volume. The room is closed, and has 3 doors which have exterior grade construction and quality gaskets. Concrete floor with VERY plush carpet. Smooth drywall with 1/8 inch plaster over coat, 3 walls are exterior and well insulated.

Front stage is along the shorter wall, and the center is offset about 1.5 feet from the room center-line. I have my 2 TN1220:eek: subs placed directly behind my floorstanding speakers right at the front wall. With the dual subs and some minor luck, I have very few room modes around the main seating positions which is about 11.5 feet from the screen and 13.5 feet from the front wall. Not sure where I'd place the VTF-3...maybe directly behind the couch on the room center line about 8 feet from the rear wall.

My recent addition has been a Samsung HLS6188W DLP RPTV. WOW! It doesn't affect my bass performance, but it looks darn good! :cool:

Dr. Hsu Rocks! (can't wait to hear the HB-1s!!!) and to pit the VTF-3 against the TN1220s.

Cheers

Mark

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
My HT Room (living room in home under construction) is 18'W x 20'L x 12'H. The HT is shifted to the right side of the room, while the left side of the room has doorways to two other rooms at the front and back. A stone fireplace is also on the left wall, climbing the entire 12ft wall.

In-wall subwoofer jacks are in the back two corners, allowing the sub to be placed in eithe corner (or to let me have 2 subs!).

G

gstarr

Enthusiast
I have a 15 wide x 22 long x 10 foot high media room. It would be great to get 2 subwoofers to put in each of the front corners. I currently have a pair of Monitor Audio GR10's in both the front and back, along with a Monitor Audio Gold center channel speaker. My current MA subwoofer is definitely the weak link in the system and would be great to replace with one or two HSU subwoofers.

majorloser

majorloser

Hmmmmm

I have three powered subs covering all front locations. I could always add more :rolleyes:

Right now I want a VTF3-HO (or two) to replace them all :p

(wife wants hers back in the bedroom)

Two rosewood's would also work nicely

B

blockparty

Audiophyte
room description

I have a large living room with a high end 2 channel music system at the end of the room on the short wall. No sub necessary with my Von Schweikert VR4 speakers. The theater is on the long wall and I can put a sub to the left or right of my front speakers. The long wall is about 36' and the short wall is 20 ft. The ceiling is 22 ft tall with a very steep pitch. Acoustics are quite good in the room. I've wanted to purchase a HSU sub for the surround system so a discount coupon might seal the deal. Thanks!

Kevqtmn

Audiophyte
My HT room dimensions

My room is 20' x 20' x 8'.
There are french doors along the left wall.
Sub (after I hopefully win the coupon) will be placed in the front right corner.

I am so close to buying my sub. I have been very patient buying all of my components and a quality sub and center are next on the list. Hopefully I can pickup the VTF-3 MK2.

J

jmcmann

Audiophyte
Finished basement - open floorplan - Approximately 1200 sq. ft w/ 8.5 ft ceilings.

The media section of the space is approximately 15 by 18 with some knee-walls and ceiling soffits to delineate the space.

Sub output is a concern though, as I have a large volume of space to fill. The output varies noticeable based on the seating position's proximity to the sub. I'm thinking of going the dual sub route to adress the situation.

A

AAD

Audioholic Intern
My dedicated theater is 7'-4" H x 14' W x 20' D. It is carpeted with two rows of seating( Rear raised 8") and two upholstered wall panels on each side. The room has one 36" upholstered door in the rear corner. I am looking to upgrade to dual subs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis