Enter to Win: 10-Outlet Surge Suppressor from Impact Acoustics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dennisdxl32

Enthusiast
My current gear is worth less than a $1000, so I only use a couple of $10 power strips (obviously, no line conditioning or filtering). Once I upgrade to a real HT system, I alsp plan to upgrade to something with at least some line condition and filtering to reduce the risk of damage to the components. If it helps the components to perform better, then that's icing on the cake. But protecting the equipment is the main reason for the conditioning/filtering.

C

CharlyD

Enthusiast
Surge Supressor/Filter

I have a Monster filter/surge supressor. Filtering of line voltage better assures the sound/picture will not be degraded.

porziob

Audioholic Intern
AC Protection

CharlyD said:
I have a Monster filter/surge supressor. Filtering of line voltage better assures the sound/picture will not be degraded.
I use a Tripplite Ultra8 Isobar which conditions & filters. Maybe there was a slight improvement in my video. No change was noted on the audio end.

Totoro

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
I don't have a surge protector at all on my HT system since it is new and I haven't gotten around to it. I use a cheapo power bar with surge protection for my stereo system. This is the kind that you find in department stores for about $10. I don't know how important it is because my house was hit by lightening a few years ago and the surge protection didn't work at all and several electronic components were fried. I didn't know how to put a claim into the surge protection company, so I just paid up and replaced the components myself. No more than $300 damage. My new HT system is worth a LOT more, so I probably should have some protection.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
I am currently using a Monster Power HTS 1000 MkII for my family room TV system. While there is no true active power filtration going on inside it (i.e. line voltage stabilization) there is a definite imporvement in video from its filtering. I have not had the opportunity to demo a difference with good filtering on my audio system yet, though I do believe it can improve AC problems which can definately effect sound quality and longevity.

caseybarker

Audiophyte
I just purchased an APC J15 for use with my system. Indeed, the UPS guy should deliver it today. I chose the APC for its battery backup feature. In the lightning capital of the world (Florida), good surge protection and battery backup are paramount.

This box does have noise filtering, which I ordinarily wouldn't consider critical, but it is a feature I expect on this class of device (>$100). I'm not sure that AC noise filters really impact the quality of my A/V, but when you're protecting $15K worth of gear, you might as well protect it from little bucks and boosts as well as the giant lightning-induced spikes. Damage to the downstream gear is my only real concern.

Casey

E-6

Audioholic Intern
I have an old Belkin surge strip. Have looked into a conditioner/surge combo but due to limited space most are a component alone. Would prefer a none component surge/conditioner due to size. "As your A/V investment grows so should your effort to become safety and performance conscious."

2lego

Audiophyte
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

I use the $25 Leviton strip you can get at the electronics store. Better than the $10 splitters, but not as good as the Monster Power that I sold with our last house (needed a reason to upgrade).

The strip doesn't do any condition, which I don't really need right now. I believe it is important when you have the equipment to actually appreciate the results. I'm not too worried about my 27" CRT (sold the projector too) at this point so I don't feel the need for power conditioning yet.

I would definately get power condition the minute I upgraded to front projection again with a more expensive receiver and loudspeaker setup. I think the power conditioning is relative to the value of the equipment being used in the setup. Kind of like a percentage of cost, so my $500 setup doesn't really warrant the upgrade right now.

D

drdoan

Audiophyte
I use a Monster HTS 3500 MII surge protector (I got it cheap on a close out at a wholesaler). Yes, it has both (it doesn't stabilize the input ac power,tho). Yes, I feel both are important. I would use both especially because of all the rf signals floating around and the poor regulation from the power companies. Dennis

Last edited:
A

adamrc

Enthusiast
I use a Monster power unit. It supposedly conditions and filters the power for better audio and video quality. I do think it makes a slight difference. Anything that helps filter out noise from audio/video is worth considering.

S

samandnoah

Enthusiast
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?
- A Monster surge protector (do not recall model number)

Does your surge protector also condition and filter power?
- No

Is this a feature you feel is important?
- Not today

Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
- Environment where these benefits can be demonstrated to add value

B

brianjof

Audioholic Intern
Surge protector

What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? - Currently I am not using any...
Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering? - I am not sure how much impact these actually make to picture and sound so have not been willing to spend the money on it yet.

K

kli

Audiophyte
Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

Home Theater: Belkin PF40L 12 port Power Conditioner
Media Center: APC PF11VNT3 Performance SurgeArrest 11
Desktop: APC Professional SurgeArrest 8 Outlet

Yes all filter power, but only the home theater has power conditioning capabilities. Its definitely important, particularly for people who live in areas where theres a lot of noise in the electrical line and want to clean up the performance of their setups.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
I currently have a cheap $20 surge supressor for my equiqment that isn't a conditioner. I would consider conditioning when I have all of my equipment upgraded to a place where I don't want to upgrade anymore (right now I still have an entry level reciever, and a 32" crt tv for my system that would need to be upgraded first). Then a conditioner might squeeze out that last little bit of performance. It isn't important that the surge protector and conditioner be one unit.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
APC Line-R plugged into an APC UPS.

Yes.

Yes.

Always.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?
Monster HTS 3500

Yes.

Yes.

Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
Home theater and Stereo Hi Fi.

G

greenhill

Audioholic Intern
Surge protector: Tripp-lite HT10DBS. (for Home Theater)
Filtering: YES, EMI/RFI line noise filtering.
Importance: YES.
Conditions: with delicate, high-end, (expensive) electronics.

K

kluvlaw

Enthusiast

Monster HTS-2000 (I think) and I believe it does power conditioning and filtering. I felt I got a good price and it was worth it for the protection. If your $99 model does the same things I may pick one up for my 2nd system (unless I win of course, :) ).

M

Mike JL

Audioholic Intern

I have a quality surge suppressor in place. It does not condition or filter power. I don't think such filtering is necessary with the level of components I am using. If I upgraded to some high power separates, I might might change my mind.

J

Joel47

Enthusiast
I have two surge suppressors, and neither one filters power. I didn't use to think it important, but I now have an analog EQ sitting between my receiver and my sub that picks up electrical spikes (fans and washing maching turning on and off), sending thumps through the sub. Therefore, I'm considering some kind of power filtering in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis