Enter to Win: 10-Outlet Surge Suppressor from Impact Acoustics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bluecaps

Enthusiast
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?
I am using APC backup/surgeprotector 550ER system.

Does your surge protector also condition and filter power?
Yes

Is this a feature you feel is important?
Very important.

Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
EVEryday normal use

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic

A basic TrippLite

No

Yes and No: In low end systems it's not as big a deal unless you're in an area which has serious brownout issues.

However, if and when I am able to upgrade my gear to mid-high range I would give serious consideration to a decent affordable surge-protector that also conditions and filters.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

I have Tripplites everywhere, but would like to do better. Power is neither filtered or conditioned...I DO feel it's important. My area is very rural and has tons of brownouts. I would consider conditioning/filtering for all my delicate electronics!

jasoneuc

jasoneuc

Audioholic Intern
Contest Questions:

I use a Panamax surge suppressor coupled with an APC UPS batter.

Only in the event that the APC UPS kicks in.

Yes, strength of the feature depends on the reliability of the power in a user's locality.

If my power were routinely suspect. Also, if the price were not outrageous (< $100).

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Martiad3

Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
I currently use a cheap/generic surge protector for my system that doesn't condition or filter power. For my current system, I don't feel these features are too important. But I do think I'd get a higher quality surge protector that filters/conditions when I upgrade my components. I don't brown out very much in my area, so it was never too important.

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Impact Acoustics is giving away a 10-Outlet Surge Suppressor valued at $99.99 to three (3) eligible forum members.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Note this contest ends on December 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
Monster HTS 3500 MkII
condition & power
Yes, it is important here in Florida
I would consider a unit for the video part of my system

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FLMike

Audioholic
Surge Protection

What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Panamax 4-KSU
Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Does some noise filtration, but no conditioning
Is this a feature you feel is important? Yes, to a point
Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering? Lower cost than what I have seen fo good results. Since I am in Florida (read: Lots of lighting and short power outages), I am more likely to put in a good commercial UPS that offers power conditioning and filtration as well as backup power.

M

Mike613

Audiophyte
An RCA surge protector that I purchased at Wal-mart

I don't believe so.

Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
Probably is important but I don't know enough to answer accurately.

D

dmattern

Audiophyte
I currently (pun intended) use a Panamax protector. It provides some conditioning, but not much. I'm unsure how important this is and would like to see some "real world" comparisons by an independent party such as Audioholics.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i use a 20 dollar surge protector with a $100,000 warranty

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Currently use a Panamax surge protector that reduces EMI/RF interference. I will always purchase intereference filtering equipment, but as for serious power conditioning, I would have to have some serious power problems.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I currently use an el-cheapo (Tripp-Lite). Unfortunately, it does NOT do any power conditioning. Personally, I believe that power conditioning is a very useful because of fluctucations in voltage as well as changing power demands. That is, the warmest part of the Summer and the coldest part of Winter always places huge load demands on our power grids throughout the US. Thus, having power conditioning helps to keep things running much smoother as well as protecting my equipment. For example, during the last few years my area (as well as many others) has seen a lot more dangerous storms that is always accompanied by lots of lightning. One good strike is all that is needed creating a power(voltage) surge and thus destroying my equipment. However, I do plan to obtain better protection in the very near future.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Surge protection survey

Response: I have a variety -- indeed, an abundance -- of power conditioners, not surge protectors, in my HT system. I have two from Monster Power, four from PS Audio, and four from Quantum. I have tried a wide gamut of "tweaks," such as power conditioners, because the theory behind the latter makes sense enough to me to invest in them (perhaps much more than necessary). If I create another HT system, a power conditioner will be a necessary accessory.

R

rhfjr

Audiophyte
I do not have any surge protectors for a HD TV, HD PDR & DVD. After getting these items I neglected to get a surge protector and need to get one. My money however is going for the holidays.

MCJunkie

Audiophyte
I have one of them Family Dollar store strips which I know is not at all good, I have my Sony 50 inch TV and Surround Sound plugs using it. I unplug it all when its storms out cause I get scared that it will knock out my HOme Theater and I will have nothing. Yes I think its important to have the right surge protecter. Mine does not do any filtering or conditioning, I really never knew there was such a thing. To consider it? I already am.

F

fattyboombah85

Enthusiast

I use a cheap Surge Protector. I bought it at Target. To be honest, I don't know much about power filtering or anything like that or even the risks my system could come into without it. I feel that if my system was expensive enough it would probably be worth it and so that I could really get the most out of it. But I am uneducated in this matter really.

P

Pianoman84d

Audioholic
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

I currently use generic surge protectors from Office Depot. They do not condition or filter power. I do feel this feature is important and will get a power conditioner when finances are agreeable.

R

reptilezs

Audiophyte
i use the cheap 10 dollar surge strips. they do not provide any conditioning. i think conditioning is only needed for dirty power or power sags from turning on other equipment

D

djsHTnut

Banned
Surge Protectors.

Currently I have a cheap $15 surge protector from Wally World

No, it just protects from power surges.

Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

I'm not sure of the importance but I have been researching a little and wouldnt mind trying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis