Enter to Win: 10-Outlet Surge Suppressor from Impact Acoustics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Impact Acoustics is giving away a 10-Outlet Surge Suppressor valued at $99.99 to three (3) eligible forum members.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

Note this contest ends on December 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jhanley

Junior Audioholic
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

Currently I have an inexpensive Belkin surge protector.
I'm in a bit of a problematic power area and would like/
need a better unit with filtering. I've encountered brown-
outs and times when some appliances work
and some don't. Not a good thing for A/V electronics.
As equipment becomes more sophisticated better protection is needed.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I currently use a variety of panamax products

Basement HT - 5510 (yes filtering and conditioning)
Living room HT - DBS 500 (no conditioning)
Computer - Panamax strip.

Is it important?- it depends on where you live and how clean your power is.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Surge protection

I currently use a small APC UPS for surge protection and batery backup.
I would like to upgrade to an APC H10 (surge, filtering, and line regulation) for my HT gear. I am considering the APC product due to superior surge protection and filtering that could potentially improve video quality.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I'm currently (no pun intended) using a Monster Powerbar 2100 for my HT set up. This piece is a filter as well as a surge/spike suppressor, and I would consider filtering and conditioning for my HT at all times; my computer equipment as funds permit.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have two surge supressors.

The first is a Monster HTS-2600 which I use on a smaller equipment rack in the family room.

The second is a Monster HTS-7000 which I use for my main rack down in the basement.

Both pieces condition and filter the power and the incoming house cable feed is fed through the HTS-7000 to help eliminate ground loops.

I consider these devices to be a standard part of any system. After spending $1,000 or $10,000 - or more - on an A/V system, to not provide at least a bit of decent power conditioning and surge protection seems crazy. Especially since most 'decent' surge supressors can be had for under a few hundred bucks. It just makes sense!

B

BobBart

Audioholic
I use a panamax dbs 500. No filtering. It has worked fine. I have very few outages. I would only use a filtering product if I could here it across the speakers or see some kind of interference.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?

My main HT system utilizes two separate power conditioner and surge suppressors. The Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF31 is used for most of my components (receiver, amplifiers, source, TV) while a Tripp Lite HT10DBS Isobar Surge Suppressor solely accommodates my subwoofer.

Does your surge protector also condition and filter power?

I believe the Belkin provides this feature, however I am not sure about the conditioning feature on the Tripp Lite.

Is this a feature you feel is important?

It is dependent on the wiring of the household you plan to use it in, so while I believe it is a good feature, I don't always feel it is completely necessary.

Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

Older housing that my have questionable wiring that in turn could have noise in the power supplied. Also would expect this feature in higher priced power surge units. -TD

Last edited by a moderator:
T

talannar

Junior Audioholic
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?

I've got everything hooked up to a Belkin PureAV PF40L.

Does your surge protector also condition and filter power?

I think it filters, but it doesnt condition.

Is this a feature you feel is important?

I think the filtering helps...at least it helped a slight bit for my house. As to conditioning, if you live in a place where the power fluctuates, I'd say it is important.

Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

If the power coming into the house is inconsistant, I'd go for both.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I have 2 no-name surge protectors on 2 circuits that split the load between electronics (TV/receiver/DVD/STB) and Sub/amp. I've had no problems, but I'm sailing through the fog, hoping nothing is going to fry...save me and pick my name.

salad 419

salad 419

Audioholic Intern
Tom Andry said:
Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
I currently use a CHEAP Wal-Mart 6way "surge protector". However during a lightening storm, my TV blew up while plugged into a similar model. I doubt my surge protector does anything but allow me to plug more things into one receptacle. I think surge protection is important. I'm about to move into a house that has "city" electricity. You can only imagine how accurate the cycles and voltage are going to be. If I get my Home Audio System when I move, I'll be sure to get a quality power conditioner/filter.

B

Bigfishe

Junior Audioholic
haven't really had much gear to worry about,
but now with the new home theater purchase, etc...
I think it is going to be a must, have been researching my options.

only down fall I have seen is extra cables necessary.
but for protection you do what you have to.

I have already installed dedicated circuits for my HT setup , and using my cheap APC battery Backup in the time being, doesn't have any "line" options just power.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I currently have a Monster HTS3500mk2 that i got for pretty cheap. Everything is plugged into it except my two monoblocks which are plugged directly into the wall (and left on 24/7) The monster unit does also filter the power, While I havent even bothered to see if it makes an audible difference I can see how it could. Its certainly not some phoney baloney snake oil they made up. Just L and C filters. I currently have my own transformer to feed my house, along with living in a somewhat rural area line noise might not be as big of an issue. I still like the filtering part of the unit. And the power meter :)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ive got an APC unit that accepts power cords and a cable line, but no phone line. It seems to do the job, but I don't think it conditions power. We have a lot of power surges, so a good unit is important in our home.

Matt34

Matt34

Yes, a Belkin PureAV PF30. It says it conditions but I really didn't notice a difference, as far as filtering the power I have no idea.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

A ten outlet surge protector with 5 seperated banks.
your surge protector also condition and filter power? yes
Is this a feature you feel is important? no in a surge protector because I do not think it does a good job at it. I believe you need a seperate signal conditioning equipment to do it right.
Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering? Any stuation where you have multiple electronic components connected in one area.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Tom Andry said:

I currently have an AR Surge Suppressor. It protects against surges, i'm not so sure about conditioning and filtering.

To be honest, i know very little about conditioning and filtering or why they're important. My main reason for getting one was to protect against lightning strikes. Some people have dirty power, brownouts, etc, but it doesn't seem to be a problem here.

W

Wabbit_Swayer

Junior Audioholic

I use an HTS2600 as my current HT suppressor/filter. I don't need conditioning where I live, and I think its unnecessary for me. If for some reason the location I lived at experienced frequent power issues or somethings I would consider power conditioning.

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? just a regular surge protector

Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Unfortunately no.

Is this a feature you feel is important? yes, i've been looking into one for a while

Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering? If i had the $$ to get some

S

sandtrap

Junior Audioholic
I have an unknown brand hardware store power strip with a fuse.

I am pretty sure there is no filtering or conditioning in the powerstrip.

At this time power equipment is not high on my priority list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis