Enter to Win: 10-Outlet Surge Suppressor from Impact Acoustics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bearearz

Junior Audioholic
Surge Suppressor

"Power Sentry",(power surge protection only).(I guess something is better than nothing).I haven't as yet heard what "conditioning" does to improve the sound/audio, however I feel is important,(the more I read the the more I see a need.) I would love to win this "Surge Suppressor" as I feel it would protect my equipment from spikes in power as well as condition/filter.. I truly need this product as I live in a very old home(70years+) with extreamly old wireing.

Last edited:
R

rl168

Enthusiast
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

I have one that I bought from wal-mart for my a/v equipment. It is just a plain surge protector with no other features.

I think the conditioning and filtering features are good. Especially after I spent quite a bit of money on my a/v equipment.

R

rushwj

Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Impact Acoustics is giving away a 10-Outlet Surge Suppressor valued at $99.99 to three (3) eligible forum members.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

Note this contest ends on December 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
I currently have a monster power surge protector/conditioner. i feel the conditioning is a good feature to have and can be very useful depending upon your power supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?
APC H15

Does your surge protector also condition and filter power?
Yes

Is this a feature you feel is important?
I feel like it has increased the performance of my system greatly.

Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
All! But the money to put high end type conditioners at every area in the house is something I just cant afford to do. So other areas in the house just use simple/cheap surge protection power strips.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief

Monster HTS 3500

Yes

I do.

I don't want to make any assumptions when it comes to relying on the power co to make sure my power line is nice and clean. Also, I live in an older house with lots of other electronics in it, so there's sometimes a little noise in the line if there's a heater running in the adjacent room, so I can use all the powerline cleaning I can get. Also, if you have a new car's worth of money invested into your electronics, a few hundred dollars to provide a little extra protection for them is a no brainer. course, lightning hitting the house would probably fry everything anyhow...

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
I currently use a Monster product for surge protection as well as power filtering. I don't notice a difference with it but it does provide a piece of mind and I got a good deal on it. Most home supply lines are less than desireable so its not a bad idea for high-end equipment.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
APC Surge Arrest - pretty generic surge protector - commonly used with computers
No
I'm uneducated on power line conditioning so currently I would say no.
This I would consider if I was building a system off of a reasonable budget. Currently I can't imagine spending money on a surge protector + line conditioning when I want every last penny to go into the components that make the sound happen. In fact, with my mediocre system now i don't really believe that running conditioned power would make any difference ( I could be totally wrong :p).

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic

Tripp Lite surge protector.

No.

Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

As an audiophilic newbie, this isn't something I've investigated yet, so I'll answer that it's not important to me. I'd consider it if I discovered that power conditioning and filtering are not snake-oil claims.

Chris

S

Shortsord

Audioholic Intern
I have an APC H15 for the important things and a few monster surge strips around for everything else. The APC filters and conditions, the monster strips are only sure protectors. While I think that surge protection is the the absolute ultimate goal of a power strip, power filtering is undoubtedly a boon to the system. For anything component in a home theater system, or a computer set up as well, filtering is necessary. The improvements in quality are noticeable and well worthwhile.

PC2

PC2

Audiophyte
* I use a generic GE power strip (for DVD/Cable Box/VCR/Tivo) and a Belkin PureAV PFHD 3-outlet(for TV/Receiver/Sub).

Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important?
*The belkin does condition and filter.I see a little better tv picture, but the sound I can't notice any difference. So, it is important.

* You should always use a conditioner/filter, i can see a difference and they cost peanuts compared to other equipment.

M

maphiker

Enthusiast

I have been using a Tripplite HT10DBS 10 outlet surge protector. I just purchased a 4 outlet version for my AV receiver because it can pull 10 Amps and I don't want to over load the HT10DBS.

EMI/RFI line noise filtering only.

Yes. The power conditioning is much less important.

I think that power conditioning is not necessary and thus is a lower priority to me. I suppose I would consider it if I had nothing else to spend my money on.

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
I use 2 APC surge protectors that do not have Filtering.

Power conditioning and filtering are important and I wish to replace my current protectors with some that offer it.

In my area battery backup is very important as well.

R

rem003

Audiophyte
I have used surge supressor/filters from tripplite etc but much prefer my accuphase clean power supply ps1200v units with voltage regulation and reserve power. Prior to employing these units voltage sags would shotdown my subwoofer amplifiers during peak transients. The accuphase units have eliminated this problem.

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
Q1. What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?
A1. Belkin 10 outlet surge strip.

Q2. Does your surge protector also condition and filter power?
A2. No.

Q3. Is this a feature you feel is important?
A3. Not here.

Q4. Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
A4. If I lived in Florida.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
HT Monster HTS5100
2ch RGPC1200S and ExactPowerSP15A
Yes
YEs
Yes
audio and video - all the time

rntshy

Audiophyte
Entering the contest

Q1:Isobar 10 outlet

Q2:No it does not condition, I am not sure about filtering

Q3: I am sure it is important, but I need to research to make sure its not another "oxygen free copper" gimmick.

Q4: If my equipment were more expensive

J

jlindsey86

Audioholic Intern
Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

Right Now I am using two generic power strips from Walmart. My so called "protection" does not condition or filter, although this is a feature that I do feel is important to have. I would consider power conditioning/filtering in basically type of condition, it can only do nothing but help.

P

PAW

Audioholic Intern

A Monster surge protector. I can't remember the model. No conditioning or filtering. I'd use these if I knew I had bad power.

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?​

For my Home Theater, I have a Liebert 3Kva UPS system, which provides clean filtered power to all my devices. I used to live in Florida where we had a lot of lightening, power surges and brown outs. But the UPS continuously provides steady power to all the devices. Also, when the power goes out, I can continue to watch that movie!

Last edited by a moderator:

Senior Audioholic

Generic power strip with MOV's

No

No

Only needed if you have noisy power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis