Emotiva XPR-1 1kwatt Mono Amplifier Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The different tones and scales makes it difficult to compare but I do not think that makes them invalid.

For AH, that sounds like an interesting measurement. Of course, if performed in a standardized manner, results *should not* change from reviewer to reviewer. Some sites like HomeTheaterMag have a measurement staff that *should* be reviewer independent.

- Rich
The frequency bins chosen do matter and there is a science to it. Just randomly combining a multi-tone test is not a good idea IMO. I do all of the amp measurements and I am currently working with my local University to train a PHD EE student over the summer to help do these for me. My tests using the APX-585 HDMI analyzer are very consistent.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The frequency bins chosen do matter and there is a science to it. Just randomly combining a multi-tone test is not a good idea IMO. I do all of the amp measurements and I am currently working with my local University to train a PHD EE student over the summer to help do these for me. My tests using the APX-585 HDMI analyzer are very consistent.
Freaking lucky student!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
logarithmic, Oops :p
Not to worry. Of course I would note IMD is considered more troublesome than THD because the distortion products are typically not related to the musical content and consequently harder to mask.

Last edited by a moderator:
internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
So let's go back to the review; and since you've had a good cross-section of amps at different price ranges to "compare" what we're really talking about here is you're getting 1k monoblocks at +/-$3k/pair that rival the amp offerings of products 2-4x the price. That's a very serious statement. And, since the measurements are what you're saying, you can step down to the XPR-2 and get the same performance up to 600wpc for +/-$1600 that can drive any real-world speaker load for speakers costing $60k or more. That's just nuts.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
So let's go back to the review; and since you've had a good cross-section of amps at different price ranges to "compare" what we're really talking about here is you're getting 1k monoblocks at +/-$3k/pair that rival the amp offerings of products 2-4x the price. That's a very serious statement. And, since the measurements are what you're saying, you can step down to the XPR-2 and get the same performance up to 600wpc for +/-$1600 that can drive any real-world speaker load for speakers costing $60k or more. That's just nuts.
That's sound about right.
I know it might be redundant, but it would be great if the XPR-2 and XPR-5 are also reviewed.
Especially, the XPR-5.

- Rich

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Multi-tone Distortion Testing - continued

Guys;

I'm building a 32 tone multi-tone test suite in the APx585. This will most closely simulate music program material. I need to run some tests to make sure its a good tactic before I implement it into our standard.

Keep in mind however that if Amp A does better than Amp B for a 1kHz FFT test (industry standard) than it should also do better for the multi-tone test too. That's my hypothesis which I plan on testing this summer.

multi-tone.jpg

Attachments

RichB

RichB

^^^

That is ground-breaking. I love it.

- Rich

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Finally a big product review that I've been waiting months for! What took you guys so long? :p
Emotive nailed the coffin shut with the XPR 1. Fantastic build quality, even more fantastic price....I said this before and I'll say it again, if I had the monies I'd be all over Emotivas high end offerings without a doubt

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Finally a big product review that I've been waiting months for! What took you guys so long? :p
Emotive nailed the coffin shut with the XPR 1. Fantastic build quality, even more fantastic price....I said this before and I'll say it again, if I had the monies I'd be all over Emotivas high end offerings without a doubt
Nothing wrong with your enthusiasm, now you got something to save up money for :p

Good luck :D

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
With the XPR5....Who needs 400W into 5 channels? What's the point?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Horsepower sells. I agree 99% out there need nothing like this. May be that there is enough 1% for Emotiva to make a go of it for the home market.

RichB

RichB

With the XPR5....Who needs 400W into 5 channels? What's the point?
My Revel Salons would not complain.
I have driven them with a Sunfire 7400 with similar power ratings and with an ATI 3000 which is close.
At -3 the ATI clip lights came on. It was damn loud but it is nice to know the AMP will not clip.

There is nothing wrong with good clean power.

- Rich

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
I have driven them with a Sunfire 7400 with similar power ratings and with an ATI 3000 which is close.
At -3 the ATI clip lights came on. It was damn loud but it is nice to know the AMP will not clip.

- Rich
I agree with Rich, if all you're doing is playing low volume, then that's fine, but some full range speakers or some speaker designs--Magnepan, for example, absolutely sound better with good, raw power.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief

- Rich
But I mean for the surrounds though?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Horsepower sells. I agree 99% out there need nothing like this. May be that there is enough 1% for Emotiva to make a go of it for the home market.
I understand that some main towers could benefit from this power but I just don't get why Emo would waste money and implement this into the rear or even centre channels. Wouldn't it make more sense to spend that money on the build quality on something like what Gene talked about putting a thicker lid on the box?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis