Emotiva XPR-1 1kwatt Mono Amplifier Review

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum! Your photo links aren't working, btw. I've seen your youtube videos of your set up before though, it's nice stuff :)
Thank you for the welcome! Uh oh--links aren't working, eh? Is there a way to directly upload? ah you've seen the vids? awesome--I uploaded an update with a Legacy Focus SE/Marquis HD setup. Audioholics review of the Focus SE's made me grin, although I hadn't come across the review until after I already ordered them.

Especially that BDP-95 you sold me :D
Hey, how are you liking your BDP-95??? Do you use its XLR outputs or do you stick with HDMI?

ENJOY.... Probably quite many people envy you now :p (me included, LOL)
LOL--the XPR-1's are already priced VERY well--but Emotiva is currently having a sale that makes it an absolute MUST buy. I was going to get five of them, one for each speaker, but then figured that I only have two 20 amp circuits and the cost to run another three would be provibitive. I ended up getting an XPA-1 for my Marquis HD center channel, and an XPA-200 for my surrounds. (I lived with an Emotiva XPA-5 since 2010, but I sold it to help with the amp upgrade since it couldn't unleash the Legacies with their 500wpc recommendation.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, how are you liking your BDP-95??? Do you use its XLR outputs or do you stick with HDMI?
Both actually. I'm using the HDMI for movies to one receiver and the XLR to a dedicated 2 channel receiver. The BDP-95 is performing double duty and doing it really well :D

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast
Both actually. I'm using the HDMI for movies to one receiver and the XLR to a dedicated 2 channel receiver. The BDP-95 is performing double duty and doing it really well :D
Nice! Do they both feed the same speaker set via switcher? That sounds like an interesting setup indeed!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Nice! Do they both feed the same speaker set via switcher? That sounds like an interesting setup indeed!
The two channel receiver is connected to a Threshold S/300e which is driving a pair of Philharmonic 3's, while the HDMI feeds an Onkyo 3009 which is connected to an 11.3 rig. The room is too small the placement isn't ideal, but heck, I like it :D

Your own setup is pretty awesome if I do say so myself and is much much cleaner looking.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
The two channel receiver is connected to a Threshold S/300e which is driving a pair of Philharmonic 3's, while the HDMI feeds an Onkyo 3009 which is connected to an 11.3 rig. The room is too small the placement isn't ideal, but heck, I like it :D

Your own setup is pretty awesome if I do say so myself and is much much cleaner looking.
Ya, he should definitely post some pictures in the pro and joes gallery :) it's a beautiful set up, IMO.

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast
Here's my second attempt at posting photos of these absolutely amazing Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks:

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast

That sounds pretty awesome! All that matters is, when you sit down to enjoy music or movies, your ears begin smiling. The teeth are sure to follow :D

I appreciate the kind words on the theater man--this is a very fulfilling journey!

Ya, he should definitely post some pictures in the pro and joes gallery :) it's a beautiful set up, IMO.
Pros and Joes? Oh! I must investigate at once!

S

Skiman1

Audiophyte
I just ordered a pair of XPR-1s. What sealed the deal for me was the switched inputs, rather unique for an amp. I am adding a pair of these monoblocks to my existing home theater surround system so that I will essentially have a separate stereo setup integrated in to a 7 channel surround powered by a Gemstone Blue Diamond. I emailed Emotiva to ensure that connecting two active preamps (one being a Marantz prepro) to each XPR-1 is O.K. via the switched inputs. The stereo preamp is a Pass Labs X 1, which has no shutoff (by design). They responded that this is fine. But Gene's comments concern me:

Switching between two-channel and multi-channel systems was as easy as flipping the XPR-1 backpanel switches from unbalanced (two-channel) to balanced (multi-channel). I would caution any end-user connecting two preamps to the XPR-1 in this fashion to ALWAYS turn off the unused preamp. I measured the switch to provide about -60db of isolation, but it’s still a good idea to only have one active preamp powered on when connecting multiple preamps to a common amplifier via its various input connectors.
I imagine Gene is just being extra cautious, but what is the purpase of having switched inputs if not do just this? Even turning off a preamp leaves it in idle mode. Has anyone connected two preamps and left them powered on?

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast
I imagine Gene is just being extra cautious, but what is the purpase of having switched inputs if not do just this? ?
Greetings Skiman--I hope you're enjoying your XPR-1's immensely by now! I think the purpose of having switched inputs is to just offer consumers the flexibility to use whatever interconnects they already own, and the opportunity to switch interconnect types in the future. for instance, when I was using an Integra DHC-80.2, I only had RCA interconnects lying around so I used those with my Emotiva XPA-5. After a while, I wanted to use XLR instead, so I bought some XLR's and flipped the amp switches to XLR. I think it's more for flexibility than dual system use.

Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Enthusiast
Great review Gene. Based on your measurements/comments and JJ's I went ahead and ordered three XPR1s for my main L/C/R channels. Looking forward to trying them out. Also ordered a XPA-2 for my surrounds as the XPR2 wouldn't fit in my rack.

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast
Great review Gene. Based on your measurements/comments and JJ's I went ahead and ordered three XPR1s for my main L/C/R channels. Looking forward to trying them out. Also ordered a XPA-2 for my surrounds as the XPR2 wouldn't fit in my rack.
You are going to absolutely love these XPR-1's. Their sound quality is effortless and top-notch and their physical presence is unmistakeable. I have no doubt they will make your S8's sing...loudly...very loudly, but more importantly, cleanly.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Added benefit.... You probably don't need any heaters in your house too now :D

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast
For anybody interested, below is an unboxing video of the Emotiva XPR-1 monoblock amplifer. (Ignore the terrible thumbnail shot):

[video=youtube;iQn_9rC05N0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQn_9rC05N0[/video]

Last edited:
Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Enthusiast
You are going to absolutely love these XPR-1's. Their sound quality is effortless and top-notch and their physical presence is unmistakeable. I have no doubt they will make your S8's sing...loudly...very loudly, but more importantly, cleanly.
Thanks for the comments Brolic. Enjoyed your unboxing video, seems we have a lot of common gear in our setups. Loved those amps stands you had in there so I just ordered three! I'll snap some pics when I've done the install. Won't be for a couple weeks though. Love your Seaton video, my new HPs have been one of the best additions yet to my room. :cool:

Kris

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
^^^

Hi Kris,

So are these your replacement amps ?

- Rich

Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Enthusiast
Hey Rich,

Yes, I am going to give them a run in the room for a bit. Hopefully they'll live up to the hype.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Gene, where's your comparo between XPR-1 and the big guys (amps) I mean?

jinjuku

jinjuku

For anybody interested, below is an unboxing video of the Emotiva XPR-1 monoblock amplifer. (Ignore the terrible thumbnail shot):

[video=youtube;iQn_9rC05N0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQn_9rC05N0[/video]
Nice setup and nice addition to the setup. What is the track? I must have it.

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments Brolic. Enjoyed your unboxing video, seems we have a lot of common gear in our setups. Loved those amps stands you had in there so I just ordered three! I'll snap some pics when I've done the install. Won't be for a couple weeks though. Love your Seaton video, my new HPs have been one of the best additions yet to my room. :cool:

Kris
Awesome--glad you enjoyed the video; those VTI amp stands will blend very well with the decor in your room. Seaton Submersives are a special kind of subwoofer--infrasonic performance is a mind-blower when done right. I'm most certainly looking forward to seeing the pics of the XPR-1's in their natural habitat (in my mind, the natural habitat for a monoblock is on an amp stand :))

Nice setup and nice addition to the setup. What is the track? I must have it.
Thanks man-- I definitely appreciate it. The track is called "Bass & Drum" Solo by Lars Ulrich. This track is from an audio show disc, so it's possible that it might be called something else on an actual Ulrich album.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Seriously.... Gene and all you other guys in here made me get a big wish to get a pair of XPR-1's, just a big stretch with the costly shipment overseas.

Perhaps the Krell KAV 400xi will have a rest?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis