William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No mullet here! shitt Fukk cuntt dikk a$$ Fukk titt shitt dildo likker anal candy
Btw. Wassup Treb and RynoDino? If I must be put down, then make it quick. And please let me have a BJ when it’s going down.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If I only had a nickel for every time I've heard that one... Oh to be young again.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
One concerning thing about EVs though, it seems insurance companies see higher liability with them. You cannot trust an EV's battery pack after a collision, so the even a minor fender bender can result in a total loss. Something I never considered.
Thanks! I did notice how large my auto insurance bill got since I got my EV, but I hadn't considered what you pointed out – until now.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks! I did notice how large my auto insurance bill got since I got my EV, but I hadn't considered what you pointed out – until now.
Welcome to the world of Li-ion batteries. :)

Li-ion batteries pack a big punch and a thermal runaway is a real concern with them. In a serious car crash with a gasoline motor one can make sure that the car will not combust in a fire afterwards, but not so easily for a Li-ion battery pack.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the world of Li-ion batteries. :)

Li-ion batteries pack a big punch and a thermal runaway is a real concern with them. In a serious car crash with a gasoline motor one can make sure that the car will not combust in a fire afterwards, but not so easily for a Li-ion battery pack.
This is the reason. In the event of an accident, it could cause a fire. Even if a fire does not occur, a sufficient amount of shock could cause the pack to fail later and the insurance companies don't like that risk.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
This is the reason. In the event of an accident, it could cause a fire. Even if a fire does not occur, a sufficient amount of shock could cause the pack to fail later and the insurance companies don't like that risk.
Exactly, and the owners should also care about the thermal runaway danger IMO, along with any other safety protections the EV manufacturer has provided.

I've a few flashlights using 18650 cells, but all of them are single-cells from a flashlight manufacturer of an good reputation for safety features (ZebraLight.com) and 18650 cells sourced from a reputable dealer (eu.nkon.nl) along with chargers from a reputable company (XTAR). All of that sourced from the same dealer.

The only multi-cell flashlight I got is using four Eneloop AA cells, but I do have a number of AA single-cell flashlights that I let other use unsupervised unless I'm sure I know that they know what they are doing.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Battery replacements are also required when even the slightest scratch or ding to one results from an accident. The car must be towed to an authorized dealer after diagnosing a damaged battery at a repair shop, if not already at a dealer's shop, and have the battery removed. Then, it is towed back to the repair shop to finish repairs. And, after repairs, it is again towed to the dealer for the new battery installation. This is how we had to do it just a few years ago to satisfy safety regs though I've been out of the business for a bit. The supplements to the original estimate could really add up and be quite higher than the same repair to a comparable gas powered vehicle.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I had just read an article discussing that very thing... I think they said something about the Model Y battery costing ~20K to replace, so coupled with pretty much any amount of body damage, it easily overwhelms 50% the value of the car.
I'm curious how Tesla Insurance will treat these issues as they are charging so much less in premiums. But like I said, they also know their vehicles and technology the best. So for them, the risk is abated somewhat whereas other Insurers see it as too risky. *shrugs

There is definitely something to be said for modular batteries that are not built into the frame of the car as Tesla is doing.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I had just read an article discussing that very thing... I think they said something about the Model Y battery costing ~20K to replace, so coupled with pretty much any amount of body damage, it easily overwhelms 50% the value of the car.
I'm curious how Tesla Insurance will treat these issues as they are charging so much less in premiums. But like I said, they also know their vehicles and technology the best. So for them, the risk is abated somewhat whereas other Insurers see it as too risky. *shrugs

There is definitely something to be said for modular batteries that are not built into the frame of the car as Tesla is doing.
The Tesla Auto Pilot has some issues, just saying, with respect to safety.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The number of shops who can repair a Tesla are far and few, even here in the hometown of Tesla. When they first came out, you could ONLY send the car to Tesla for repairs, and after a few years they started to certify shops that can repair them.

I understand why Tesla chose to make the battery pack a structural element, but there are definitely tradeoffs to that decision. $15-20K for the battery sounds about right considering they were about $10-15k for the Prius when it originally came out and those are not structural.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Once in a while I watch the Wham-Bam-Teslacam channel on youtube. The repair times and costs are definitely something to consider. Watch the Honda bump!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Monday should be Wall Charger installation day.

I have access to a 14-50 outlet in my landlord's workshop and have already charged her up part way using the Mobile Charger. It is plugged in again and should finish coming up to 90% tonight. I'm testing out the scheduling function. It should start at midnight, which will be off-peak hours.

Once we get set up at our place I think we are going to try the EV TOU rate plan. 4-9pm are the highest rates, slightly lower outside that window from 3pm to 12am. The rest of the time is all off-peak.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Monday should be Wall Charger installation day.

I have access to a 14-50 outlet in my landlord's workshop and have already charged her up part way using the Mobile Charger. It is plugged in again and should finish coming up to 90% tonight. I'm testing out the scheduling function. It should start at midnight, which will be off-peak hours.

Once we get set up at our place I think we are going to try the EV TOU rate plan. 4-9pm are the highest rates, slightly lower outside that window from 3pm to 12am. The rest of the time is all off-peak.
How far are you typically driving from home these days on a daily/frequent basis?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Most days probably less than 40mi total. A trip into town is 10.
So much depends on work needs, though. If I have to run errands, that can add up fast. My little area isn’t that big, but touring the closest 3-4 other towns/cities can get you.
I was filling up the CRV every 7-10 days, and getting around 230 miles on a tank.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis