ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wall Charger successfully installed. 60a circuit, so getting the max 48a charge capacity on that line.

That was a lot of work, and now I have a proper mess to clean up. :)

Now if only I can get the landlord to up the priority on upgrading the Household Mains to 200a, we'll be set.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Wall Charger successfully installed. 60a circuit, so getting the max 48a charge capacity on that line.

That was a lot of work, and now I have a proper mess to clean up. :)

Now if only I can get the landlord to up the priority on upgrading the Household Mains to 200a, we'll be set.
Ryan, are saying you have a single 60 amp circuit installed on a 100 amp panel ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ryan, are saying you have a single 60 amp circuit installed on a 100 amp panel ?
Yes.
If you add up the total of the breakers in that service panel it is way over capacity of the mains breaker.
While my landlord didn’t do the installation, he advised and is well aware of the “situation.”
I have requested on a few occasions now that he upgrade the household service to 200 Amps.

I think with his last visit to the panel, he got the message.

The only time the car will charge is probably between midnight and 5am. Whether we switch to a TOU rate plan or not, it just seems smart to run the charging when everything else is pretty much off.

As a test, I did top off the charge last night while the house was lit up and The Lady was watching some shows and running a space heater. Everything worked.

Regardless, I bumped into my Landlord at the hardware store in the middle of the project as I was looking for s few items we needed different from what I bought in preparation. While we were chatting and he was helping me find some parts in Electrical, he mentioned something about the sub panel we installed. So I showed him we bought there at his favorite hardware store and not some other place that he doesn’t like…
Anyway, long story short, I asked him what panel he would install for us when he upgraded the mains. ;) He showed me the ones he liked for it. :D

Now I just have to force the issue a bit.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Ryan, FWIW having individual breakers cumulative ratings exceed the main breaker is quite common. For the simple reason that 'never' would all circuits be drawing max current at any given time. Typically the panel box size is tailored to the 'Main'. I have a 200 amp service and have 1 remaining slot left in my panel.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ryan, FWIW having individual breakers cumulative ratings exceed the main breaker is quite common. For the simple reason that 'never' would all circuits be drawing max current at any given time. Typically the panel box size is tailored to the 'Main'. I have a 200 amp service and have 1 remaining slot left in my panel.
Indeed, and I totally get that.
From an academic standpoint I would love to learn how to calculate how much current we draw on an average day. Perhaps it will be easy to see that when we switch to a TOU plan.
Our current arrangement with PG&E doesn’t really give us any worthwhile info.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Fed to announce which vehicles will qualify for the tax credit for 2023 on April 18. Apparently, there will be more changes for 2024.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
^
Musk seems to be certain the Model Y will pass muster but expects the Model 3 to fall off the approved list.
Either way, I'll be fine as I took delivery before the policy change. :D

;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It sounds like the RWD 3 will either have a reduced tax credit or fall off completely. The dual motor and higher models will still get it. Sounds like the Y won't be affected.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@ryanosaur , as well as anyone else:

The IRS has a 30% tax credit for the purchase of home charging station for an EV. Keep your receipt for that purchase.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The push to Electric vehicles will slow.

The German car manufacturers are now opposed to electric vehicles, and the German government is supporting them. This is causing a row with Brussels.

The issues are what I suspected.

The cars take too long to charge. As a consequence you just can not place enough chargers, and the cost or real estate mitigates against building charging areas over large urban areas.

They have determined that supplying the rare Earth metals is not sustainable, and China is a major source. In addition, mining these metals is environmentally destructive.

The vehicles are too heavy and already increasing road damage. In addition they have now done the calculation that current multistory car parks will not support the weight of these vehicles as numbers increase.

It will never be possible to power long range aircraft, ships, and trucks with electricity. Electrification of rail is already way ahead of the US in Europe. This is very much due to geography and climate.

The electric infrastructure to sustain this degree of electrification is not sustainable, quite apart from the generation.

So it is clear that liquid fuels are going to be required in perpetuity.

So the plan is synthetic fuels. This could be accomplished by huge investment in nuclear power, for the generation of hydrogen from water, and capturing CO2 from the atmosphere.

This seem to me a much more sensible and eco friendly solution. In addition hydrogen can be used to heat homes, and can be fed down existing networks with minimal infrastructure changes. Gas appliances would need to be replaced, but this would be less costly than electric heat and heat pumps. The latter work poorly in any event in colder regions.

This sounds to me a much more sensible and practical approach. I personally have never thought that electrification on a massive scale was practical or cost effective. That is before we get to the practicality of doing with from windmills and solar panels which can not sustain reliable base load in any event.

The long and short of it is that we have been on the wrong track.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting analysis. FYI, VW is building a large battery manufacturing facility in SW Ontario not far from my town. Canada is also looking to increase graphite mining as 80% of the supply is currently Chinese.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I don't care what vehicle you are looking at, Electric or Gas, it is the absolute worst time to buy a car. Lease and loan rates are terrible. I cancelled my I4 50 order when the money factor was at .00375 (9%) w/tier 1 credit. Went back to look at a Mercedes AMG C43 Sedan, which was fun to drive, but same deal with financing. My 21 BMW X5 M40I with only 20k miles on it due to come off lease in October and I am just going to buy it.

1-2 Years when all these people who overpaid, have negative equity and are defaulting on their loans, the dealerships will be begging for business. This is just like sub-prime lending in the mortgage industry.

I guess this should be in the rant forum LOL. That being said, when the economy and auto market readjust, I will be first in line to get a new electric car. If I had to buy one now it would be a Tesla, by far the best lease and loan rates and prices. They keep teasing me and lowering the price of the Model S Plaid, I may weaken and get that one next ;)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have a tough time reading something so clearly biased.
The campaign by the Western elite in the U.S. and Europe
Sorry - what? I don't feel like I'm elite. I feel like I commute 50 miles round trip a day plus some weekend travel and I'm dropping $60+ a week on gas. All of which goes away if I go electric. So, $33,000 for a new EV (out the door) is well worth it. Call it a drop to $20 a week. Maybe less if I can charge at work. That's a $2,000 savings annually on fuel. More importantly, I won't ever go to a gas station. My wife has a gas SUV, so I guess we are 'elite' because we each own a car? Seriously, that type of terminology just shows ignorance of why people are actually buying EVs right now.

Saying that manufacturers are making EVs due to government demands ignores that most dealers don't have a single EV in stock and they are on constant backorder for almost all dealers. This seems to indicate that there actually is a demand... and not just a little bit of it. It's a false narrative to say that consumers don't want them. It IS accurate to say there aren't a ton on the road yet. But, considering that 7% of ALL vehicles sold are EVs... in a nation that isn't at all geared up yet for powering them, is something that the article uses to push it's own point of 'never electric'. It's just a false argument.

Their second reason literally points to an article that says that by 2050, 60% of all vehicles on the road will be electric. Huh? That directly goes against what their key argument in the article leads with. When 60% of all vehicles are electric, then the majority of vehicles will be electric. Math is apparently hard for this writer.

The final argument is valid about battery production being a major issue. It is, and it is hard to believe that some slumbugger like him doesn't see the capitalistic approach to what lithium demand will actually do in the world. It will just drive nations to mine the crap out of the product. It is exactly what this nation has done very well for many, many years... meet the demand and make some profit.

Strangely, not one mention of the electrical infrastructure that needs vast improvement. Or the lack of EV charging stations for so many out there (renters especially) in this nation.

The terminology used in the article is very much directed to generate emotion over actually giving valid reasons. It uses contradictory statements in a very poor manner. It ignores real hurdles in favor of fantasy.

It also ignores that technology will progress, but likely at a very slow rate. Battery charging hasn't drastically improved in the last 20 years. That's a major hurdle for those who take long trips and need to charge up.
Battery storage is a major issue. 300 miles is nice, but for those who regularly make long trips... it's not enough.
Battery price/replacement is huge as well. Batteries deteriorate, and we haven't figured out a fairly inexpensive way to swap battery packs on cars yet.
Cost of cars I think is artificially high on some models still. But, right now, the entry point for many EVs is far higher than most can afford. Maybe that's why he considers those buying EVs 'elites'. But, I'm not sure how much that will be the case in another decade when EV production ramps way up.

The article was just too tough to read because of the incredible bias of the author, which is fully supported by the website itself. It is a Fox News level of bias from page one and ignores science in favor of opinion, which just makes it really a gross misrepresentation of what is really going on.

What does the author say in 2050 when 60% of the vehicles on the road actually are EVs? Will he say "See! That's what I quoted!!!" - Or will he admit that the headline was just BS, before he gets in his EV and drives away?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Battery AND motor technology are changing rapidly. Lucid has cars capable of 500 mi range, however that is still extremely costly. So the capability is there, just need to bring the cost down. New battery chemistries and new types of motors are being developed to reduce the reliance on lithium and rare earth elements, so yes, within 5 years, things will improve and in 10 they will drastically change.

Hot swap batteries are another potential as it takes less than 10 minutes to swap and then you have a full charge. This is already in testing in Europe with the public and will likely become more common as it is easier to deploy than charging infrastructure. The "downside" to this is, you effectively lease the battery, you do not own it, but if it catches on, it will both minimize charging times and could eliminate range anxiety.

I don't know about other places, but chargers are popping up everywhere around me. I also looked at the tax credit. I was under the impression that if I got a refund, I would not be able to claim the credit. I read it again and it says if you claim it and get a refund, they will add the tax credit to your refund.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I may not be in the EV camp yet, but I did just replace all my lawn equipment with Ego stuff.

Got a mower, edger/weed eater (detachable heads) and a leaf blower. Not too bad on price either.

My current mower has a Honda motor that has been one of the best motors I've ever used in anything. However, the cheap mower it's attached too just doesn't mow worth a damn anymore. It did it's job for 15 years without any issues at all so I very much got my money's worth.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For California, we can apply for an additional state rebate for EV purchase. For the two cars I am looking at, would bring my total to $9500.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis