panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, we got off track on the EV discussion. So to get back in that direction would the hybrid vehicle be the smart answer at this juncture ? Given that EV charging infrastructure still has a ways to go ?

I know of two friends that are planning that type of purchase this year
What would be really smart is to let the vehicle's rotating tires recharge it while it drives. No idea why this isn't common, but someone modified theirs to do just that.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Cool conceptual idea for sure, although the sited example won't last very long.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

The short version sourced from reddit is:
"It absolutely can have a wheel charge a battery It's called regenerative braking. But doing so slows down the car. What you cant have is one battery motor driving the car faster and another one charging and slowing the car."

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Cool conceptual idea for sure, although the sited example won't last very long.
Of course, not meant to be real world, but still points out a big downside in how these EVs are made. They could be better than they are.

I'm sure when the infrastructure catches up these things will 100% be the future of cars, but there are still many areas where things can improve dramatically.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
What would be really smart is to let the vehicle's rotating tires recharge it while it drives. No idea why this isn't common, but someone modified theirs to do just that …
When I saw the photo in the link you posted, it made me think of Physics exams I had back in college. Each 1-hour test had 4 problems to solve, plus an extra-credit problem, if you had the time. Those extra-credit problems always presented some clever looking solution to a common problem, such as how to chill beer cans when you don't have a refrigerator or ice. The question was always, 'does this work?' And you had to provide math reasons to explain why or why not. They always ended up being a complex variation of impossible perpetual motion machine, or perpetual energy devices.

That modified Chevy Bolt that recharged its batteries as you drove it looked just like one of those extra-credit problems. It's possible in theory – but never in practice.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Enough tech talk; we are audioholics so should buy cars solely based on the sound system they include. My present vehicle is a Lincoln with a Revel system and the two previous Genesis vehicles had Lexicon.

jinjuku

jinjuku

So do you think Audio Quest will come out with some enhanced charging cables for EV's?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
So last evening while going through the latest of Motor Trend along with Car & Driver another concern with EV's became quite apparent........ weight ! Like so many Americans they are heavy, some cases really heavy(GM's EV Hummer for example). Two immediate areas of concern........

1) given the distracted driver issues we all face, crashes with lighter vehicles will have even greater consequences

2) infrastructure, it's not good and with the increase payload on our highways and byways(especially here in Pennsyltucky) this will only worsen an already bad situation

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So last evening while going through the latest of Motor Trend along with Car & Driver another concern with EV's became quite apparent........ weight ! Like so many Americans they are heavy, some cases really heavy(GM's EV Hummer for example). Two immediate areas of concern........

1) given the distracted driver issues we all face, crashes with lighter vehicles will have even greater consequences

2) infrastructure, it's not good and with the increase payload on our highways and byways(especially here in Pennsyltucky) this will only worsen an already bad situation
TX will be OK. My truck weighs around 8k unloaded, and I'm far from the only one that drives something that heavy. Wife's Durango is around 5500 or so.

Wonder how much of an increase we'd see from EV versions of what is already out there? The Ford Lightning should be a good clue, but they started making everything out of aluminum so there's already a weight savings there.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I think a lot depends on you. At this point I wouldn't own only an EV. I would own a gas-powered vehicle for longer drives. A plug-in hybrid is surely an option. Keep in mind even if there are EV fillup stations, you're probably looking at an hour minimum break while it charges. It's not like filling a tank and going.

My GF has Bolt. She loves it for traveling around town. Of course, she has a Camry for road trips. It hardly gets used. The Bolt is actually nice to drive around town. Amazingly zippy. I would love a plug-in hybrid Miata or S2000! I had a Miata years ago and would get 35ish mpg on the highway (at 75-80mph). Couple that with the zippy EV for around town and it could be a great vehicle.

One thing I'm not sure you're aware of from the original post is how these EVs drive. You can drive with only the gas pedal. You do not need the brake pedal. In fact, this is the recommended way as it optimizes recharging/recovery while breaking/slowing down. This would be similar to driving with a stick and using engine braking to slow down.

There is also a "normal" driving mode that you use the gas pedal and break. This is like driving a regular automatic. I tend to use this mode when driving to my gf's chagrin, only because it's not as abrupt when you lift off the gas pedal (go pedal?). It still goes into a recharging mode, but just not as effective.

I'm sure over time I would get used to driving in the recommended mode. But for now, I tend to be a little jolty when lifting of the gas pedal. Kind of like abruptly downshifting a stick...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Batteries are heavy, and the truck weighs about 6,500 pounds, roughly 1,000 more than the same truck with the 3.5-liter engine. The batteries alone weigh about 1,800 pounds.
That aluminum frame and body make up for a lot of that. That's really not all that bad for a truck.

This is an interesting part of EVs I hadn't considered yet. I'm going to have to check a few others to see what the weight is.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
GM's EV Hummer ...... 9000#'s !

my point is simple, vehicle type to vehicle type EV's are heavier. Simple laws of physics apply. Will technology help in the succeeding generations, probably so.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
After the military implementation of the Hummer, there is nothing remotely responsible about the design, regardless of how it is powered!
*shrugs

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Great review of the Tesla Model S Plaid. Yeas, it is mind blowingly fast - in a straight line...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis