cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
At least local electric power companies are subject to some kind of state or local government approval or regulation. How effective that is can vary widely around the USA. But voters, if they're highly motivated & organized, can have a say in this.
In Fla, voters don't have a say, its the Fla Public Service Commission that's approves the rates.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I saw yet another survey about public attitudes in the USA about owning electric cars. I think this one is interesting enough to post here.
America passed the EV ‘tipping point’ — but many buyers still want gas
Once EVs cross 5% of new sales, they generally take over. U.S. hesitation could hinder that.

There is a theoretical, magic tipping point for adoption of electric vehicles. Once somewhere between 5 and 10% of new car sales are all-electric, some researchers say, huge numbers of drivers will follow. They predict then electric cars sales will soar – to 25%, 50%, and eventually to close to 80% of new sales. Early adopters who love shiny new technologies will be replaced by mainstream consumers just looking for a good deal. Last year, the United States finally passed that elusive mark – 5% of all new cars sold in the fourth quarter were fully electric. And earlier this year, all-electric vehicles made up about 7% of new car sales.

But even as the nation’s EV market appears to be teetering on the edge of an electric takeover, a hesitant American public – and a still-subpar charging infrastructure – could still hold the country back. A Washington Post-University of Maryland poll shows the current limits of U.S. enthusiasm for the new vehicles, with nearly half of adults (46%) saying they prefer to own a gas-powered car or truck. That compares to 19% who want a full-electric vehicle, 13% who want a plug-in hybrid and 22% who want a traditional hybrid vehicle.
1695048744423.png

Part of the hesitation to go electric is driven by a partisan divide. Republicans are much more likely to want to stick with gas-powered cars – two-thirds of them say they prefer those vehicles regardless of cost. Democrats, on the other hand, are less attracted to running on gas; a quarter of them prefer gas-powered cars to other vehicles. There’s little partisan gap in ownership however, with 9% of Democrats and 8% of Republicans saying they own or lease a fully-electric car.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It's funny how the partisan divide is only in the survey results and not born out in ownership stats.

A little off topic but anyone else read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell? Interesting read.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It's funny how the partisan divide is only in the survey results and not born out in ownership stats.
I wondered about that too. It suggests that something else besides partisan divide may have had a more direct influence. Its easy to guess where people live may have a large influence on deciding between gas/diesel vs. electric.

People who live in more crowded urban or suburban areas will have better access to recharging than people who live in more rural areas. And, generally speaking, where people live is also reflected by their political preferences. That may be enough to explain those partisan divide results.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tesla dropped their lease prices last week on the model 3 to $6/mo lower than Hyundai due to increasing inventory. Hyundai responded this week by lowering the base lease $50/mo for both the Ioniq 5 and 6, now $249 and $229.

No doubt this is because everyone has seen the new "Highland" Model 3 refresh coming as soon as this month, so nobody wants the current version. And then there is this also:

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Tesla dropped their lease prices last week on the model 3 to $6/mo lower than Hyundai due to increasing inventory. Hyundai responded this week by lowering the base lease $50/mo for both the Ioniq 5 and 6, now $249 and $229.

No doubt this is because everyone has seen the new "Highland" Model 3 refresh coming as soon as this month, so nobody wants the current version. And then there is this also:

I also read that Lithium prices have fluctuated quite a bit as of late, recently tumbled .....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I also read that Lithium prices have fluctuated quite a bit as of late, recently tumbled .....
Tesla introduced a new chemistry battery that is more stable with the new model and it is less expensive to produce. Toyota's planned new EV will also have a new chemistry.

I understand Lithium has dropped because various countries have either "identified" sources of lithium or just finally told people about them, so the price has dropped significantly since last year.

We are starting to see quite a few Cybertruck mules running around here. Yep, it is ugly.

I saw a camouflaged Nio ES7 last week. Looks to be about the size of a Porsche Cayenne.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Tesla introduced a new chemistry battery that is more stable with the new model and it is less expensive to produce. Toyota's planned new EV will also have a new chemistry.

I understand Lithium has dropped because various countries have either "identified" sources of lithium or just finally told people about them, so the price has dropped significantly since last year.

We are starting to see quite a few Cybertruck mules running around here. Yep, it is ugly.

I saw a camouflaged Nio ES7 last week. Looks to be about the size of a Porsche Cayenne.
I read Toyota wasn't using Lithium batteries anymore? Is this that new chemistry?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I read Toyota wasn't using Lithium batteries anymore? Is this that new chemistry?
They won't release whatever the new chemistry is until the new EV comes out. They have only teased this car (pics, no specs) and have not mentioned what the chemistry of the solid state battery is. The claim they made about it though is that it charges to 750 mi in 10 min.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
They won't release whatever the new chemistry is until the new EV comes out. They have only teased this car (pics, no specs) and have not mentioned what the chemistry of the solid state battery is. The claim they made about it though is that it charges to 750 mi in 10 min.

Now we're talking actual competition with ICE vehicles.

If I can get 750mi out of a 10 min charge, then the only thing left that needs to happen is charging stations need to appear out in the boonies where nobody lives.

However, if capacity gets high enough, that won't even be an issue. Very interesting.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Now we're talking actual competition with ICE vehicles.

If I can get 750mi out of a 10 min charge, then the only thing left that needs to happen is charging stations need to appear out in the boonies where nobody lives.

However, if capacity gets high enough, that won't even be an issue. Very interesting.
agreed, next 5-10 years should prove interesting .....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

That’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen!!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
While I've been keeping an open mind to the design of the Cybertruck, having seen some of the concept drawings for the vehicle, admittedly I must quite thoroughly question Musk's sanity. He even said recently that they basically dug their own grave with that design...

And all he had to do was be first to market with a working Pick-Up.

Instead, the wheel needed to be reinvented. And this was what he came up with:
1697923286990.png

SMDH

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
While I've been keeping an open mind to the design of the Cybertruck, having seen some of the concept drawings for the vehicle, admittedly I must quite thoroughly question Musk's sanity. He even said recently that they basically dug their own grave with that design...

And all he had to do was be first to market with a working Pick-Up.

Instead, the wheel needed to be reinvented. And this was what he came up with:
View attachment 63845
SMDH
Lmao!!! This is truth!
It’s not a Fukkin stealth bomber for crying out loud…

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've just posted a new thread about the new VinFast electric vehicles from Vietnam:
They're not new, just new to public market. I've already seen a few on the road already. That company went SPAC then lost 80% of their value, not unlike Rivian. It will take some time for them.

Rivian is getting close to profitability already though, and much faster than Tesla. They don't have the cash to compete with the likes of Tesla, but they are doing pretty well now. Their truck isn't fugly like the Cybertruck either.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Still hoping Canoo pulls it out! :)

Been seeing many Genesis up here in Wine Country lately.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They're not new, just new to public market. I've already seen a few on the road already. That company went SPAC then lost 80% of their value, not unlike Rivian. It will take some time for them.

Rivian is getting close to profitability already though, and much faster than Tesla. They don't have the cash to compete with the likes of Tesla, but they are doing pretty well now. Their truck isn't fugly like the Cybertruck either.
Friend of ours just bought a rivian. Pretty cool, looks alright. Kinda like a bronco lol. It’s not for me, but I like it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis