cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Not that any of that matters to fans of front-heavy cars with huge V8 engines. Such engines do produce large amounts of torque at low RPM, but they pale compared to the amount of torque produced by the electric motor(s) in an EV, at any RPM.
But my wife could make it to Lexington SC ( Lake Murray) from Palm Coast Fl on a tank of gas in her Lexus while I had to stop in Orangeburg SC and hunt for a place to charge my Model S. BY the time I got to her, she already had lunch, unloaded her car, put the boat in the water from the lift and had a nice beverage. All that torque in my S did squat except to pass a few semi's, :)

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I recently came home after a 700 mile round trip to Winston-Salem, NC. It took me 2 charging stops each way, plus another charge up while I was there. The EV ran nicely and was comfortable during my first use of air conditioning during a long trip. On this trip, each charging stop was a bit faster, 45 minutes instead of 1 hour.

The drive home was marred by enormous traffic jams on I-95 in Virginia, between Richmond and Washington. Normally a 2-hour drive, it took me 4 hours yesterday. There had been frequent downpours of sometimes heavy rain. Even though people drive smarter cars than they did in the past, they still forget how to drive in the rain :(!

The only good news from that is that when you're stuck in grid locked traffic in an EV, you consume very little battery juice, as compared to idling cars that burn gas. The backed up traffic made me get home 2-hours later than expected, but I had more left in the battery than if I had driven home at highway speeds.

Since my last post about on-the-road charging, I've signed up for a promotion from Volvo of America for a 3-year deal with Electrify America (EA). I had originally signed up for EA's plain vanilla plan where each charge costs 48¢/kWh and no monthly fees. Now, I have EA's Plus+ plan where each charge costs 36¢/kWh plus a $4 monthly fee. Volvo and/or EA pay the monthly fee for 3 years, and I also get 250 kWh charging at no cost. Once I use up that free 250 kWh charging, I still pay no monthly fees until 3 years is done.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yesterday, while stopped to charge up, I did see a Rivian pick-up for the first time. It had 4 doors and a covered bed in the back. I thought it was boring looking – boring features and boring charcoal gray color. Maybe boring to me, but probably not to most pick up truck owners.

Can you charge up your Tesla Y at a non-Tesla fast charger? Is there an adapter for that?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Can you charge up your Tesla Y at a non-Tesla fast charger? Is there an adapter for that?
It came with an adapter. So, yes. ;)

The Rivians aren’t really my cup of tea. We have a bunch around here and the owners seem very happy with them. But they do seem to be more of a car than not, like most modern trucks (big cab, small bed).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I wonder when Volvo, and other European EV makers (besides VW/Audi) will make a similar agreement with Tesla. VW of America owns Electrify America.

I'm all in favor of EVs & EV chargers using the same plugs & sockets. Can you imagine the chaos if gas pumps required different adapters for different cars?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am wondering when Volvo, and other European EV makers (besides VW/Audi) make a similar agreement with Tesla. VW of America owns Electrify America.

I'm all in favor of EVs & EV chargers using the same plugs & sockets. Can you imagine the chaos if gas pumps required different adapters for different cars?
One of the earlier articles I’ve read regarding the adoption of NACS emphasized the importance of Tesla’s commitment to building out such an extensive network here in the US. No other entity has put so much focus on this as Tesla as best I can tell. This is why I took this position in that earlier post.
It will be interesting to see what might happen in Europe. I don’t know what extent of infrastructure Tesla has committed to over the pond thus far, though for EU to expect Tesla to adapt a different standard over there I would expect there to be a “good” reason for it.
Regardless, I suspect this difference in US vs EU should be pretty minor. If not, well, Elon can afford it. ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It came with an adapter. So, yes. ;)

The Rivians aren’t really my cup of tea. We have a bunch around here and the owners seem very happy with them. But they do seem to be more of a car than not, like most modern trucks (big cab, small bed).
I like the Rivian R1S, which looks like a 4 Runner, much more than the R1T. We see a LOT of R1Ts here, but I agree, more of a tall car / SUV than a true truck.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rivian announced the R2, a smaller SUV targeted for the $40-60k segment in 2026.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yesterday, while stopped to charge up, I did see a Rivian pick-up for the first time. It had 4 doors and a covered bed in the back. I thought it was boring looking – boring features and boring charcoal gray color. Maybe boring to me, but probably not to most pick up truck owners.

What's with the current trend in grey cars? I've spotted a lot of these (colors) lately and it has to be one of the most boring car colors that I have ever seen.

Lions Club had a classic car show in our neighbourhood yesterday. Should have snapped some photos. There were some real beauties there. They even had people from Michigan drive up for the rally. No classic EVs, though. ;)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

$250 CCS-1 adapter

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It will be interesting to see what might happen in Europe. I don’t know what extent of infrastructure Tesla has committed to over the pond thus far, though for EU to expect Tesla to adapt a different standard over there I would expect there to be a “good” reason for it.
Regardless, I suspect this difference in US vs EU should be pretty minor. If not, well, Elon can afford it. ;)
I know that the European Union insisted that Tesla conform to the single recharging plug/receptacle system already adapted among European EV makers, the SAE J1772/CCS plugs & receptacles. But I don't know what details Tesla agreed to. I had thought that Tesla agreed to use the EU standard that already exists. If so, it doesn't make any sense to do the opposite in the USA, to adapt the so-called North American Charging System (NACS), previously known as the Tesla plug.

Even though my EV uses the J1772/CCS plug, I don't really care whether the J1772 or Tesla plug system becomes standard, as long as there is one standard plug. Yes, the Tesla plug came first – there was no other existing plug at the time. But until recently, Tesla had made it exclusive for Tesla EVs. Now that Tesla has real competition, it wants to sell licenses for access to it's large network of Fast DC chargers. This Elon Musk-induced argument is as dumb as the various format debates (Mac vs. Microsoft Windows, Betamax vs. VHS, and the various Blu-Ray vs. what were those other formats?) we've seen in the past. It benefits only corporate executives & lawyers, while delaying the use of one common charging plug system.

Below are diagrams of some of the various charging plugs: the SAE J1772 (standard for Level 1 or 2 AC charging on all but Tesla until recently?), CCS1 plug (combines J1772 with 2 large contacts for Fast DC charging), Tesla Supercharger (combines AC and Fast DC charging), and the CHAdeMo plug (seems to be fading away).
1687359965418.png

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
What's with the current trend in grey cars? I've spotted a lot of these (colors) lately and it has to be one of the most boring car colors that I have ever seen.
I agree that its boring & it's ugly too.

But I'm happy to see the trend away from metallic paints, especially in black, charcoal, dark blue, or white. I've been tired of that colorless metallic look for many years. I think the new non-metallic looking paints do contain (smaller?) metallic particles, but the overall appearance is smooth, creamy, or milky. And real colors have come back My new car is a creamy pale green. I've seen other cars with that similar look in bright & dark blues, tan, and other colors.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Lions Club had a classic car show in our neighbourhood yesterday. Should have snapped some photos. There were some real beauties there. They even had people from Michigan drive up for the rally. No classic EVs, though. ;)
These "flat" colors go through their style trends like anything. Out here on the West Coast, Subaru has been widely popular in those colors over the a several year span recently with a tan, blue, and orange color especially. There is a local new Land Rover in a flat celery-green color.
When the Audi TT first came out I seem to recall Audi running these colors also.

*shrugs

No accounting for taste. ;)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
agreed 100%, mostly young folks that I've seen. Looks like primer with a couple coats of clear applied !

of these start up EV companies, wonder which one will be the next Studebaker ??

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I know that the European Union insisted that Tesla conform to the single recharging plug/receptacle system already adapted among European EV makers, the SAE J1772/CCS plugs & receptacles. But I don't know what details Tesla agreed to. I had thought that Tesla agreed to use the EU standard that already exists. If so, it doesn't make any sense to do the opposite in the USA, to adapt the so-called North American Charging System (NACS), previous known as the Tesla plug.

Even though my EV uses the J1772/CCS plug, I don't really care whether the J1772 or Tesla plug system becomes standard, as long as there is one standard plug. Yes, the Tesla plug came first as there was no existing standard at the time. But until recently, Tesla made it exclusive to Tesla EVs. Now that Tesla has real competition, it wants to sell licenses for access to it's large network of Fast DC chargers. This Elon Musk-induced argument is as dumb as the various format debates (Mac vs. Microsoft Windows, Betamax vs. VHS, and the various Blu-Ray vs. what were those other formats?) we've seen in the past. It benefits only corporate executives & lawyers, while delaying the use of one common charging plug system.

Below are diagrams of some of the various charging plugs: the SAE J1772 (standard for Level 1 or 2 AC charging on all but Tesla until recently?), CCS1 plug (combines J1772 with 2 large contacts for Fast DC charging), Tesla Supercharger (combines AC and Fast DC charging), and the CHAdeMo plug (seems to be fading away).
View attachment 62408
The adapters are coming. ;)

I can't imagine it will take long for them to hit mass market at this point. I saw one article that says GM is already planning to make such an adapter available to current owners of their cars for free.

As to the conversation about the merits of a Standards Battle... well, I agree. Its silly and pointless and doesn't help the consumer.

Here in the US, Tesla chose to aggressively build out their charging network which is something no one else did. In a way, that gives them leverage here that they likely don't have in the EU. I'm not taking a values position on this. The likelihood of me taking an extended road trip in my Model Y is relatively low right now, and the most likely places I would go will likely have Tesla infrastructure in place. I've seen other Non-Tesla charging stations as well in many places locally (no superchargers in town, for example) but I've never stopped to even inspect them.

The adapter I have from Tesla, still unopened with my front license plate frame, is a j1772 to nacs plug. If I were to go road tripping, it would behoove me to get a CCS1-NACS adapter just in case. Tesla sells one for $175, and looks like Amazon has one for ~100.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis