haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You're referring to the resistance of the US to adopt the Metric System? Ignorance and resistance to change.

OTOH, US-built cars have used Metric fasteners for a long time.
It´s a big step :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
As far as I'm aware, there is no "Veterans Day", as such, in any Commonwealth country - certainly not in Canada or the UK. Remembrance Day is specifically dedicated to our war dead. Still, every November 11th, much of the talk I hear is about "veterans", which grates on me - call me pedantic. Poppies are generally associated with Commonwealth countries, especially the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
In the USA, Nov. 11 was originally called Armistice Day – the same as in Canada & the UK. At some time, it became Veteran's Day, probably not long after WW2.

Memorial Day was at first created to remember the war dead from the American Civil War – on both sides of that war. Probably after WW1, it became a remembrance day for all American war dead.
Anyway, apologies for the thread derailment.
Not to worry! Right now, there's little new to say about EVs. We've already diverted to smart phones, USB plugs, national holidays, and more. When there is something new to say about owning or buying an EV, it will be easy to resume that original topic.

When your boat made that visit to NYC some 25 years ago, I hope someone (armed) stayed behind to guard it. In NYC, they love visiting tourists for a wide variety of reasons. I wonder what a slightly used Canadian submarine would have sold for?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So, your car has that USB-C type of outlet in the dash someplace?
Yes. It has 4 of them, 2 in front on the console between the front seats, and 2 more for the rear seats. It also has a wireless charger for a smartphone in the front, plus 2 more 12V sockets, 1 in front & 1 in the back.

There's seating for 4 people, and all can charge up their phones, plus a few extra :). I haven't figured out what I'll do with those 12V charger sockets :rolleyes:.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yes. It has 4 of them, 2 in front on the console between the front seats, and 2 more for the rear seats. It also has a wireless charger for a smartphone in the front, plus 2 more 12V sockets, 1 in front & 1 in the back.

There's seating for 4 people, and all can charge up their phones, plus a few extra :). I haven't figured out what I'll do with those 12V charger sockets :rolleyes:.
If those 12V charger sockets are of the "cigarette" heating type, there are a number of "PSU" that uses those to supply USB power. Works very well.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
In the USA, Nov. 11 was originally called Armistice Day – the same as in Canada & the UK. At some time, it became Veteran's Day, probably not long after WW2.

Memorial Day was at first created to remember the war dead from the American Civil War – on both sides of that war. Probably after WW1, it became a remembrance day for all American war dead.
Not to worry! Right now, there's little new to say about EVs. We've already diverted to smart phones, USB plugs, national holidays, and more. When there is something new to say about owning or buying an EV, it will be easy to resume that original topic.

When your boat made that visit to NYC some 25 years ago, I hope someone (armed) stayed behind to guard it. In NYC, they love visiting tourists for a wide variety of reasons. I wonder what a slightly used Canadian submarine would have sold for?
There's always a duty watch of several crew members onboard in port and it's a larger group in a foreign port. But, us poor, trusting, naive souls don't carry arms under such circumstances. :D If there was a specific threat or it was wartime, that would be different...

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Some subs were purchased "used" so "slightly used" could be a stretch. :D They are looking to procure 12 new ones, which is long overdue. Mind you, most everything is long overdue lately when it comes to the Canadian military. Took them decades to commit on fighter aircraft but we're finally supposed to get some F-35s by 2026.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Then you'd need a cable with that USB-C type on both ends?
Do you have regular USB for a flash drive for music perhaps?

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Some subs were purchased "used" so "slightly used" could be a stretch. :D They are looking to procure 12 new ones, which is long overdue. Mind you, most everything is long overdue lately when it comes to the Canadian military. Took them decades to commit on fighter aircraft but we're finally supposed to get some F-35s by 2026.
That visit was in an O-Boat, which was purchased new. Purchased new in the 60's, mind you, but still...:p

highfigh

highfigh

It´s a big step :)
If the US hasn't adopted the Metric system by now, I don't know how it can happen faster- we have MPH/KPH on speedometers and highway signs, soft drinks are in 1 and 2 liter bottles, lots of things are measured in mm but ask people to understand it? Not happening, unless they're already in a technical field or a new school program, as we were in this district.

People really don't like to be mentally challenged here, unfortunately.

highfigh

highfigh

Why don´t we count distance in light years? like how far to drive New York to Orlando?
or maybe Ligtmilliseconds.... or AU, or Parsec

As far as I can see........
Driving from New York to Orlando is the distance of 5.7 Lightmilliseconds :rolleyes:
Driving from New York to Orlando is the distance of 0.00001157 Astronomical Unit
Driving from New York to Orlando is the distance of 0.000000000182966844 Lightyears
Driving from New York to Orlando is the distance of 0.000000000056124799 Parsec

Just thinking which unit to use on the navigator?
Somehow I have trouble on the navigator to set it to use lightyears or parsec as the distance unit o_O
And neither Google maps nor Apple maps support AU, Lightmilliseconds, lightyears or Parsec :mad:
Angstroms?

highfigh

highfigh

FWIW, most of the time I spent in the store was waiting for them to transfer all the data from my old phone to the new one.
You got lucky. I had a tech support guy (said his name was Steve, but I sincerely doubt it) who told me that they would send someone to check the cable between the pole and my house. I had explained that the problem was purely WiFi since I heard a click that coincided with the yellow cloud over the WiFi icon on my computer and the connection was broken but when I hard wired the computer, it worked fine- as soon as I heard another click, the WiFi was on and back to their
n o r m a l speed. That call easily lasted an hour.

I was told by an ATT installer that they keep people on the phone and drop the calls intentionally, so the customers will stay with ATT.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There's always a duty watch of several crew members onboard in port and it's a larger group in a foreign port. But, us poor, trusting, naive souls don't carry arms under such circumstances. :D If there was a specific threat or it was wartime, that would be different...
I'm not surprised to hear that. But if your boat was moored overnight in da Brooklyn Navy Yard, you should have had a heavily armed duty watch.

What looks awesome & sexy in a recruiting poster …
1685591330571.png

Looses it's luster after it's stolen, taken for a wild joyride, and left abandoned and rusting.
1685591419669.png

Or worse, if it's found jacked up on cinder blocks, near the New Jersey Turnpike, after the nuclear reactor was stripped & stolen.
1685591613231.png

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, we all know the infrastructure and various aspects are not where they need to be, but the industry is in it's infancy. With tech today, it will speed up and grow far faster than ICE car development and manufacturing did once it becomes more widely adopted. I cannot guarantee EVs are the real path forward, but it does seem that way for a while, a generation or so at least.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis