Edge of Tomorrow - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How particularly different to just using DSU with an older disc I wonder?
Probably not super different. But the thing that separates them is that one is channel based and one is object based(somehow converted from the original stems afaik). While DSU and DTSnx are great at what they do, IME, a great object based mix that moves sound in such a different way is just really hard to beat. I don’t believe height/top speaker activity dictates a good or bad Atmos mix. It’s how they all work together.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am really excited for this but need to find time. Ugh!!!!! I will definitely be sharing my thoughts.
Edit: I was thinking about renting this from Apple but not convinced the streaming version will satisfy in the same way.
I don’t know if the old streaming version is the same as the new streaming version. But the old streaming version was not this good. The new BD version seems a lot better for ATMOS.

I recall back when EoTomorrow came out and someone (director or sound engineer?) said that the ATMOS sounded amazing in the movie. But when I saw the streaming 4K/ATMOS version, I didn’t think it sounded that good.

So the director or engineer must have been talking about the ATMOS of the BD, not the streaming. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Probably not super different. But the thing that separates them is that one is channel based and one is object based(somehow converted from the original stems afaik). While DSU and DTSnx are great at what they do, IME, a great object based mix that moves sound in such a different way is just really hard to beat. I don’t believe height/top speaker activity dictates a good or bad Atmos mix. It’s how they all work together.
Hey, where does X-Men Dark Phoenix rank in terms of bass?

I am rewatching this movie and the bass is INSANE. Some Atmos scenes are INSANE also. But some not - chopper scene could’ve been awesome.

Difficult to say which movie has THE BEST Atmos and bass just based on memory. But I would say Dark Phoenix has much better bass than Edge of Tomorrow.

Edge of Tomorrow might have more overhead sound effects due to the nature of the scenes. But in terms of BEST ATMOS scenes individually, I think Dark Phoenix is difficult to beat.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry for the bump to this old(er) thread. I bought an LG (Meridian) sound bar last year and, for fun, played the opening of E of T (I purchased the streaming version on Vudu when it came out) and there was absolutely no bass note. I figured it was just the crappy sub that came with. I just hooked up my SVS 3000 Micro to my 2-channel system and thought this would be a great test of its capabilities! Much to my surprise, no bass… I guess Vudu must have updated their Live, Die, Repeat file. I found the opening on YouTube from eight years ago and it’s there! The quality (sound and picture) is crap, though. I guess I need to find a regular Blueray version that hasn’t been neutered!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My bigger complaint with it was they didn't keep at it with the low bass in more parts of the movie :) Too bad they sanitized it (for soundbars? hand held devices?). I do have the regular bluray of this and it's fine.
You have that right. They must have had complaints about blowing up those awful Atmos sound bars and dumb subs. I say blow them all up. It is absolutely nuts to even contemplate an Atmos sound bar, let alone actually build them.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Best Atmos ever (atmos effects all the time-not just once in a while) has to go to this. Anytime someone asks to hear what my system can do...this is what does it.
Edge Of Tomorrow is pretty awesome though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
T
You have that right. They must have had complaints about blowing up those awful Atmos sound bars and dumb subs. I say blow them all up. It is absolutely nuts to even contemplate an Atmos sound bar, let alone actually build them.
Then again in the intro and outro to that movie, the test tones were a torture for even decent subs....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis