Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Sneak Preview

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Two negative reviews against thousands of positive ones and my own experience aren't going to change my view of the company. I have a more important question:
Is it Oh-ppo or Ah-ppo?
I'm told they pronounce it Oh-po

Jim

P

Ptss

Audiophyte
If an upgrade in power cord is no benefit it should go into Ripley's.

I

IVR

Audiophyte
Wow so many Oppo loyalists and so much negativity. I paid a lot of money for my Oppo and now it is basically junk. So many Oppo nuts said contact the company save your Oppo! Sent it off for repairs, came back, worked for week now nothing. I don't care about the money so much but compared to a much less expensive component that I bought at the same time and that still works, the Oppo looks inferior. I stand by my words: I won't buy another one.

J

Jersey Jim C

Enthusiast
If an upgrade in power cord is no benefit it should go into Ripley's.
If an upgrade in power cord benefits sound quality, the component that needs replacing is the building. ;^) (not trolling)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW my oppo bluray failed right outside of warranty with a video corruption issue and they straight up refused to service it without a charge. For $500 it should have at least a 3 year warranty if not 5 year.
Also depends on what exactly the issue is and the reason for denial. I had a 970HD back in the day and it failed after they stopped making them. They allowed me to pay the difference and get the new model. My BDP-83SE was out of warranty for about 6 months and I sent it in for repair and they did it free of charge.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Also depends on what exactly the issue is and the reason for denial. I had a 970HD back in the day and it failed after they stopped making them. They allowed me to pay the difference and get the new model. My BDP-83SE was out of warranty for about 6 months and I sent it in for repair and they did it free of charge.
I get the feeling that there may be more to the story than the OP is letting on here. Just doesn't seem to jive with 99% of the other Oppo user experiences.

S

seaside1

Audioholic Intern
Hi, i'm interested in upgrading from my current Sony Blu-Ray to something of very high quality such as the Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player. I just want to make sure that it is compatible with my Denon AVR-1912? I don't currently own a 4K TV, I have a Panasonic Plasma, but I know the BDP-203 will upscale.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Hi, i'm interested in upgrading from my current Sony Blu-Ray to something of very high quality such as the Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player. I just want to make sure that it is compatible with my Denon AVR-1912? I don't currently own a 4K TV, I have a Panasonic Plasma, but I know the BDP-203 will upscale.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
It is compatible with your receiver. UDP mean universal disc play so it'll play anything that your current Sony will plus 4K discs as well. I have a Panasonic plasma as well. The UDP-203 cannot upscale more than your television is capable of rendering but when you upgrade your television, you will not need to upgrade your blurry player if you get the Opportunity UDP-203

Macauley86

Macauley86

Audiophyte
Can I use this player as an outboard DAC from my HDTV to my Yamaha A-S1000 analog amp?

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
Just curious. I recently purchased an Oppo 203 from a dealer at list price. I notice many of the same item are being sold on Ebay at insanely inflated prices, even today. Why would anyone pay almost 70% more than list price to buy this on Ebay over a local dealer? Has the world gone completely insane?

J

Jersey Jim C

Enthusiast
Just curious. I recently purchased an Oppo 203 from a dealer at list price. I notice many of the same item are being sold on Ebay at insanely inflated prices, even today. Why would anyone pay almost 70% more than list price to buy this on Ebay over a local dealer? Has the world gone completely insane?
"BRAND NEW In BOX !! 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY PLAYER !!
100% REGION-FREE PLAYBACK of BLU-RAY DISCs & DVDs!

"UPGRADED HARDWARE ALLOWS for FIRMWARE UPDATES !!
100% Guarantee our advanced hardware upgrades will work for the life of your machine !!"

When you ask specifically what hardware components were upgraded; their English is not so good.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I notice many of the same item are being sold on Ebay at insanely inflated prices, even today. Why would anyone pay almost 70% more than list price to buy this on Ebay over a local dealer?
Two reasons:
  • The eBay seller will ship to you in a location where the product is otherwise unavailable or expensive due to taxes anyway.
  • The eBay seller is performing a value-add like switching out or modifying hardware to allow for region-free playback.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis