Edge of Tomorrow - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I was planning to buy this until I read the reviews. It's apparently just an upscale of the 2K version, and they applied a 30 Hz high pass filter to the audio track:

>>>Sadly, in spite of how incredibly amazing this object-based mix is, there is one area where it sorely drops the ball when compared to its DTS-HD Master Audio counterpart. And that is the bass . . . because it's all about that bass. To be fair, the low-end on this 3D track is plenty powerful at providing the visuals with some wall-rattling, couch-shaking oomph, particularly during the beach siege and the attack at the Louvre. However, the bigger disappointment comes at the opening sequence when the pulsating radio frequency, which made the Blu-ray a reference disc for the DIY bassheads because it drops down to 10Hz at loud decibels (bass chart), was suddenly missing on this UHD edition. Much like they did with War of the Worlds, a high-pass filter has been applied to the mix, maddeningly cutting off the low-end at 30Hz (bass chart) for the entirety of the movie.<<<

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/106082/edgeoftomorrow4kultrahdbluray.html

Has anyone else bought this? Off hand, I'm having a hard time seeing how this is an improvement over the 2K Blu Ray with TV upscaling.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Well that sucks! The opening bass note is the best thing about the movie - it signals that we are in for a wild ride!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I was planning to buy this until I read the reviews. It's apparently just an upscale of the 2K version, and they applied a 30 Hz high pass filter to the audio track:

>>>Sadly, in spite of how incredibly amazing this object-based mix is, there is one area where it sorely drops the ball when compared to its DTS-HD Master Audio counterpart. And that is the bass . . . because it's all about that bass. To be fair, the low-end on this 3D track is plenty powerful at providing the visuals with some wall-rattling, couch-shaking oomph, particularly during the beach siege and the attack at the Louvre. However, the bigger disappointment comes at the opening sequence when the pulsating radio frequency, which made the Blu-ray a reference disc for the DIY bassheads because it drops down to 10Hz at loud decibels (bass chart), was suddenly missing on this UHD edition. Much like they did with War of the Worlds, a high-pass filter has been applied to the mix, maddeningly cutting off the low-end at 30Hz (bass chart) for the entirety of the movie.<<<

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/106082/edgeoftomorrow4kultrahdbluray.html

Has anyone else bought this? Off hand, I'm having a hard time seeing how this is an improvement over the 2K Blu Ray with TV upscaling.
It's not that bad. I own both Blu Ray and 4k editions. People are getting upset about 10 seconds in the opening of the movie. It literally still shakes the house, it just sounds more refined than before. The Atmos is definitely worth the upgrade. Don't let 10 seconds ruin the rest of the 2 hour movie.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely the SALIENT reason to own “Edge of Tomorrow“ on 4K/Atmos is because of the WRITING and DIRECTING. :D

Sure, the 4K/Atmos doesn’t change the writing and directing. :D

But the movie deserves the respect of receiving the elite treatment.

The movie was shot using 35mm analog films, so 4K isn’t going to look much better than 2K. That is too bad. It should have been shot using the 4-8K digital cameras like the Sony Venice Camera.

Atmos soundtrack is very nice. Apparently the BASS is not as nice as the DTS-HD 2K BD, but it still sounds very nice.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Definitely the SALIENT reason to own “Edge of Tomorrow“ on 4K/Atmos is because of the WRITING and DIRECTING. :D

Sure, the 4K/Atmos doesn’t change the writing and directing. :D

But the movie deserves the respect of receiving the elite treatment.

The movie was shot using 35mm analog films, so 4K isn’t going to look much better than 2K. That is too bad. It should have been shot using the 4-8K digital cameras like the Sony Venice Camera.

Atmos soundtrack is very nice. Apparently the BASS is not as nice as the DTS-HD 2K BD, but it still sounds very nice.
The 20 first seconds on repeat is all that is needed to fully enjoy my subwoofers as well as the movie. More than 10 seconds is needed so that I can have a few moments of relative quiet. This will make the repeat much more impactful.

Just saying and don’t shoot the messenger for telling the truth.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My bigger complaint with it was they didn't keep at it with the low bass in more parts of the movie :) Too bad they sanitized it (for soundbars? hand held devices?). I do have the regular bluray of this and it's fine.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
My bigger complaint with it was they didn't keep at it with the low bass in more parts of the movie :) Too bad they sanitized it (for soundbars? hand held devices?). I do have the regular bluray of this and it's fine.
Which is terrible to do. Basically what Disney is doing with their physical releases. Neutering them for people with sound bar setups and people who watch on mobile devices and pads can “enjoy”…. While giving people with real setups subpar sound quality.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Sorry for the BEQ graph. But the dotted line is the graph for the new Atmos version. Haven’t seen an overlay of the Atmos over DTSHDMA track, so this is all I could share. 40hz??? Wtf?
Fukk soundbar mixes…

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Sorry for the BEQ graph. But the dotted line is the graph for the new Atmos version. Haven’t seen an overlay of the Atmos over DTSHDMA track, so this is all I could share. 40hz??? Wtf?
Fukk soundbar mixes…
They don't want to kill any more crappy subs! WHY NOT? Generate some sub sales for those speaker companies lol. After we had been talking about it in the other thread I threw it in just to hear that scene :). I will ponder whether or not I want to pick up the 4K though.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

Fukk soundbar mixes…
I have this move on Blu-ray loved it still do! Fun entertainment but then I'm a Syfy junkie sooo. "Full Metal B$tch" "Who told You to come talk to me" lol if I remember that line right, been a while since I watched it. Or is it, "Who said you could come talk to me" either way good movie ain't the best with directing good though, fun fun movie.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
They don't want to kill any more crappy subs! WHY NOT? Generate some sub sales for those speaker companies lol. After we had been talking about it in the other thread I threw it in just to hear that scene :). I will ponder whether or not I want to pick up the 4K though.
Yeah! I'll sacrifice my crap Sub! Pop! Sizzle..lol Upgrading soon anyways.lol

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah! I'll sacrifice my crap Sub! Pop! Sizzle..lol Upgrading soon anyways.lol
That scene is a potential sub killer for sure. It shocked me the first time, but I immediately rewound it to hear it a few more times lol.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
That scene is a potential sub killer for sure. It shocked me the first time, but I immediately rewound it to hear it a few more times lol.
I do that all the time, I'll watch all the way through than on the 2nd viewing for like the soundtrack, I'll go back over the parts that kick the best! Yeah man, that's one of the best things about this hobby. Can't wait to upgrade my sub. I'm down to two,1st choice is Monolith's THX-M12-VS, 98 lb sub, 2nd is SVS PB-1000. Do believe I'll go with the Monolith gonna be my 1st real Sub. I've never spent more than 400 on a single Sub. But it's way passed time to spend at least 1k.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think Shady was saying the Monoliths have better drivers in this case. That is saying a lot too since SVS drivers are no slouch.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I think Shady was saying the Monoliths have better drivers in this case. That is saying a lot too since SVS drivers are no slouch.
I believe he did, Shady J man, sure glad we have him here on AH. I have read a few reviews of Monoprice CS not being that good at time's, guess I'm about to find out. SVS seems to have good CS, that's the thing, I'm not implying that CS is a deal breaker. But could leave bad taste if I have a issue with their Monolith THX-M12-VS. Some reviewer's have had DOA arrivals and had return issues but they ordered theirs though Amazon. Sooo like reviews go take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I will stick to my bluray version. No need to go 4K for me.
I still haven’t watched the 4K version, but the argument I might make is for the Atmos track which is said to be very much an upgrade, despite the completely disgusting neutering of bass. DSU and DTSnx are also compelling as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I still haven’t watched the 4K version, but the argument I might make is for the Atmos track which is said to be very much an upgrade, despite the completely disgusting neutering of bass. DSU and DTSnx are also compelling as well.
How particularly different to just using DSU with an older disc I wonder?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The ATMOS track is superb. One of the best ATMOS scenes is the “chopper inside the barn”. Another awesome scene was the “finale aerial advance at night“.

But there are many scenes with overhead sound effects. So definitely one of the best ATMOS tracks - if not the best. :D

The bass might have been “neutered”, but there are some great bass-sounding scenes.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The ATMOS track is superb. One of the best ATMOS scenes is the “chopper inside the barn”. Another awesome scene was the “finale aerial advance at night“.

But there are many scenes with overhead sound effects. So definitely one of the best ATMOS tracks - if not the best. :D

The bass might have been “neutered”, but there are some great bass-sounding scenes.
I am really excited for this but need to find time. Ugh!!!!! I will definitely be sharing my thoughts.
Edit: I was thinking about renting this from Apple but not convinced the streaming version will satisfy in the same way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis