Dolby Surround & DTS Neural:X "Upmixers" on New Denon X2800 in a 5.1 System

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The Limit Mode section of the Web Setup contains the HDMI input port settings that are essential in mixing old and new devices in a system. Older HDMI and HDCP specced devices can have issues when connecting to new HDMI 2.1/HDCP2.3 receivers and TVs. Some streaming devices will output a particular HDR format automatically when connected to certain TVs and some may not want them to do so. Next gen gaming consoles and PCs used for gaming will need particular HDMI 2.1 features set accordingly. The Limit Mode settings can accommodate all of them.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
The Limit Mode section of the Web Setup contains the HDMI input port settings that are essential in mixing old and new devices in a system. Older HDMI and HDCP specced devices can have issues when connecting to new HDMI 2.1/HDCP2.3 receivers and TVs. Some streaming devices will output a particular HDR format automatically when connected to certain TVs and some may not want them to do so. Next gen gaming consoles and PCs used for gaming will need particular HDMI 2.1 features set accordingly. The Limit Mode settings can accommodate all of them.
Interesting. I now remember some of that as it was with the TX-NR6050 as well. I just though you could really screw up things by accidentally hitting one of the options and forgetting about it. One setting can really get lost in all that were offered. I just ran through all of them again on a youtube video, and a shame the basics are not even available through the normal receiver menus.

I also remember you had 2 levels of adjustments, one with the recommended Onkyo password and the other mentioned here which is like a developers or customizers password.

J

John Lohmann

Audioholic
Looks like the volume level for each individual input can be setup in by the web app. At least in the RZ70 according to Gene's Youtube video.

I believe the poster was wanting that feature but it's not available in the on-screen menu, as I looked. I have used it on occasion with the phono input on my Denons.
The feature you're referring to in the Onkyos is NOT the same thing as the feature I have been referring to that they removed -- the new feature you're talking about is called MY INPUT VOLUME, and it basically pre-sets a startup volume for each input. The previous INTELLIVOLUME feature allowed you to boost or cut preamp level gain for every source between -12dB and +12dB.

J

John Lohmann

Audioholic
Now that you know and understand how the Denon works, why wouldn't you just keep the Denon AVR-X2800H receiver. It's one of the best 7.1 receivers offered today.

Besides, good luck in finding an interested party to buy a now used receiver. Most people don't share our interest of this hobby. Those that could be interested, want to pay less than what a new soundbar would cost for everything, wire, speakers, and receiver.

I gave up trying to sell receivers. Back in the day in the late 90s and early 2000s, I knew many who would want my used, new looking gear. Now a days, no one is interested as this hobby has passed for cheaper, more personal options.

If you can sell it for what it's actually worth, Great. BTW, I grabbed my 'new' X2800H for $679 from Amazon on their Amazon day. Today they want $879 as of now.
I'm being told that I would get a PLETHORA of bites if I put the Denon up for sale -- it's not really that "used" in that we've been using it for, what, two months now? And it's still sold new, so it's not an outdated model.

I would price it accordingly.

J

John Lohmann

Audioholic
I mentioned on the other forum to try a reset as I have had to do one on my Denon AVR-2312ci and Onkyo TX-NR6050 after they glitched and didn't operate correctly. Mainly from power going off from a storm or someone hitting an electric pole where electric is on and off in quick cycles before going off completely.

Of course it will reset back to factory settings so you'll lose everything and have to setup as it's a new receiver again. That's what's nice about the Denon, you can backup all settings to a flash Drive. The Onkyo TX-NR6050 and TX-NR6100 don't have a settings backup option.

Good luck in whatever you do.
Thanks; yeah, I wouldn't mind setting everything up again on the Onkyo from scratch, if that fixed the issue. I just didn't think this glitch was something that could be "fixed" with a reset. Seemed like it was a bad HDMI port....

J

John Lohmann

Audioholic
I'm also having some reservations now about keeping the Denon because I've been getting somewhat poor results with the Dolby Surround upmixer on certain 2.0 signals, and I know the source can deliver more because I recall better results when using Pro Logic II in the previous AVR...

Over the weekend, I did a Friday the 13th marathon up to the first six films, and I watched the old discs from my original Paramount From Crystal Lake to Manhattan DVD box set. When I got to part six last night, which is encoded with an "Ultra Stereo" soundtrack, the Denon's Dolby Surround mode kicked on, as it should have, but there was like no surround information, and there should have been, because when my Onkyo decoded this track via PLII, it definitely sounded quasi-aggressive in the rear. This isn't the first two-channel track that played back with such surround-lacking results via the Denon.

J

John Lohmann

Audioholic
Yes. Beyond full reset not much the general consumer can do other than send it in....
Yes, I understand that; was just asking for clarification. As I said, the reason why I didn't try a reset at first was because it seemed to me that this port was simply dying; nothing else was wrong with the unit. I don't know what a factory reset could do to fix this distorted setup menu and/or the weird behavior with the front left speaker during the channel trim checks, but if I do put it back in, I'll do it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I understand that; was just asking for clarification. As I said, the reason why I didn't try a reset at first was because it seemed to me that this port was simply dying; nothing else was wrong with the unit. I don't know what a factory reset could do to fix this distorted setup menu and/or the weird behavior with the front left speaker during the channel trim checks, but if I do put it back in, I'll do it.
It's possible that the hdmi port is just damaged, they aren't the most robust. It could be a glitch solvable by rebooting, that's all....one way to find out before packing it up.

J

John Lohmann

Audioholic
It's possible that the hdmi port is just damaged, they aren't the most robust. It could be a glitch solvable by rebooting, that's all....one way to find out before packing it up.
Understood; gonna try it if I reinstall it. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis