Do you think it's worth going with a separate AV Processor?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe they should since he obviously found an error serious enough for them to publicly announce he was correct and send out an IMMEDIATE fix to address it almost unheard of for Emo

You can tell by the tone of Dan's reply they were a little pissed he didn't get a hold of them before those results were posted. Which makes his tests even more valid obviously it was a serious issue or they wouldn't be reacting this way

I disagree if he'd never tested this it never would have been discovered and buyers would be drinking the Kool aid thinking there buying what Emotiva is claiming. Unacceptable. I believe if he hadn't posted they would have done what they tried to do on the first place just deny it and throw Shade on Amir

I don't believe he owes them anything FWIW I'm tired of these companies shoving rushed obviously not fully tested POS highly expensive audio equipment out in the wild and expecting us the buyer to suffer while they slowly send updates to fix it. It finally caught up to them and bit them in the ass. That's on them

Anything I pay thousand of dollars for better work as claimed straight out of the box with everything promised. I can understand a minor glitch every now and then those things happen but Arcam and Emotiva right now just completely unacceptable
Did Dan say they were going to send the FIXED RMC-1 to Amir for Round-2? :D

Where's the popcorn. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Amir said he emailed them prior as apparently he was told by the owner (iiuc)who loaned him the avp, that Emo wanted him to, got no response so he went ahead.........
So @PENG what I'm understanding is a pure standalone Dac due to interfacing in a processor with all its complexities and possibilities of interference with the other components it's almost impossible to match it's standalone performance

But it's the engineering responsibility and software designs responsibility to get it as close to it as possible with any results falling short to be inaudible. Also measurements can tip off as well engineering problems and software problems that might be off which can some times be caught through this type of testing

My question to you is this since we can never perfectly get to the same performance which processors do you believe get close enough to go with? Not AVR but prepros

I'm asking because I will one day upgrade the AVM 60 but I have other theater upgrades I want to go with first

So far I'm leaning toward Monoprice and I'm also waiting on ATI. I'm curious about the JBL sdp-55 I believe it is but since it's based on Arcam software and we've seen the state of there new processors right now I'm leery of jumping in those waters

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So @PENG what I'm understanding is a pure standalone Dac due to interfacing in a processor with all its complexities and possibilities of interference with the other components it's almost impossible to match it's standalone performance

But it's the engineering responsibility and software designs responsibility to get it as close to it as possible with any results falling short to be inaudible. Also measurements can tip off as well engineering problems and software problems that might be off which can some times be caught through this type of testing

My question to you is this since we can never perfectly get to the same performance which processors do you believe get close enough to go with? Not AVR but prepros

I'm asking because I will one day upgrade the AVM 60 but I have other theater upgrades I want to go with first

So far I'm leaning toward Monoprice and I'm also waiting on ATI. I'm curious about the JBL sdp-55 I believe it is but since it's based on Arcam software and we've seen the state of there new processors right now I'm leery of jumping in those waters
plus I'm super happy with the AVM 60 knock on wood but it works perfectly so far

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
no he didn't Amir asked him too he's willing to do that I'm not sure they really want that smoke tho right now LOL :D
It's a can of worms.

What if Emotiva sends the RMC-1 to Amir for round-2 and the measurements still "suck"?

Gene has said the Yamaha CX-A5100 is SOTA.

Many people would say the Marantz AV8805 and high-end Anthem are all SOTA.

The question is, which you and others have already asked, which AVP actually has "SOTA" measurements for Amir?

I think Amir already said that there are NONE to date.

If that is TRUE, then is everyone else WRONG? Is Amir the only one who is correct?

Maybe all the separates Pre-pros TRULY ACTUALLY suck in measurements like all the AVRs? :eek:

So that clears it up. There's no point buying separates Pre-pros. Just buy AVRs. Haha. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It's a can of worms.

What if Emotiva sends the RMC-1 to Amir for round-2 and the measurements still "suck"?

The question is, which you and others have already asked, which AVP actually has "SOTA" measurements for Amir?

If that is TRUE, then is everyone else WRONG? Is Amir the only one who is correct?

Maybe all the separates Pre-pros TRULY ACTUALLY suck in measurements like all the AVRs? :eek:

So that clears it up. There's no point buying separates Pre-pros. Just buy AVRs. Haha. :D
I don't think these higher end companies realize the damage there doing by this

Because if buying what should be a top of the line pre pro which should perform better then almost any avr comes riddled with bugs won't work right and doesn't come with the features it's promised and it's literally going to take maybe years to get it up to speed then why not just go with an avr with preouts?

Why should I spend thousands more when a good mid level avr with preouts can do everything RIGHT straight out of the box?

Just run heat management use all separate amplifiers and it will last a LONG time

He'll my budget onkyo I bought off of EBAY for 500 friggin dollars for my bedroom does 11 channels with preouts and has all the latest audio formats even Bluetooth streaming Wi-Fi everything and it WORKS everything WORKS flawlessly sounds great 500 vs 5000

And I don't want to hear this bullet@$# about they are mass market so they have more resources to make it run right straight out of the box

These companies want that much money then they can WAIT before release until it WORKS like a 5000 dollar product should and release after its been fully tested

Otherwise your right bro why not go with an avr instead of separates the state of high end processors thanks to these companies and there bullshit the damage it does to the growth of audio it's bullshit

Used to be pre pros where were you got that unmatched performance you couldn't get from an AVR

It's crazy but now it's the complete opposite who cares how good the prepro supposedly is if it can't even match the functionality of a 500 f@$!in AVR

These greedy ads buffoons are f@$!ing up our industry

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So you care more about the numbers that Amir measures than the features and functionality of the Pre-pros? :D
I care about BOTH bro and Monoprice measures better then all the rest according to Amir if we want to get down to it plus it's features and functionalities are so far much farther along then the others. And it won't take much longer for them to get it fully running they obviously spent more effort trying to get it right out of the gate then other companies have

The only thing holding me back is ATI hopefully they get it right straight out of the gate

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So you care more about the numbers that Amir measures than the features and functionality of the Pre-pros? :D
What features and functionalities? Except for monoprice none of them even come close to WORKING if they don't work there not features just false promises in my view

I spend 5 to 6000 on a prepro it better f@$!ing do what I need it to after I excitedly hook it up to my system not leave me waiting with compromised sound features and functionality for maybe a YEAR or more that they slowly send out updates on that I have to waste my time on installing which isn't always easy and sometimes breaks stuff as it fixes others

I would never let any other company in any other industry treat me that way for that kind of money. Seriously

Even more reason they shouldn't leave the lab or wherever until it's READY

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It's a can of worms.

AVRs with no bugs are the goal. Let the few high rollers get the expensive gear with bugs. LOL :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
AVRs with no bugs are the goal. Let the few high rollers get the expensive gear with bugs. LOL :)
Sorry bro something glitched on my phone it made it sounded like that was coming from Accu then you my apologies

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I am not aware of any at the moment, and it depends on how many channels you need. If you need only 11 channel processing, the AVR-X4500H at under $1,000 would be the best processor for HT and multi-channel music. Then you can use the savings to grab a separate DAC for two channel music.

If you must have a real 13 ch AVP then the AV8805 has the best balance of measurements, features and probably most bug free, but it costs too much. For 11 channel, I would say the CX-5100 is the best.

Surely there are better ones such as the NAD, Monoprice and others, but would you trust their reliability and bugfreeabilty? I don't.

My comparison XLS sheet is half done, it may tell a different story.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I am not aware of any at the moment, and it depends on how many channels you need. If you need only 11 channel processing, the AVR-X4500H at under $1,000 would be the best processor for HT and multi-channel music. Then you can use the savings to grab a separate DAC for two channel music.

If you must have a real 13 ch AVP then the AV8805 has the best balance of measurements, features and probably most bug free, but it costs too much. For 11 channel, I would say the CX-5100 is the best.

Surely there are better ones such as the NAD, Monoprice and others, but would you trust their reliability and bugfreeabilty? I don't.

There’s another thread on Denon 3600 where they say Dolby is not allowing cross upmixing via DTS NeuralX. Not sure if that limitation should be tracked too. It seems to only be on 3600 and not on 3500 or 4500.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks @PENG

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
There’s another thread on Denon 3600 where they say Dolby is not allowing cross upmixing via DTS NeuralX. Not sure if that limitation should be tracked too. It seems to only be on 3600 and not on 3500 or 4500.
99.9% sure this is no longer the case.

It wasn’t restricted, then Dolby restricted it, and then rescinded the restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While it's nice to find some issues via the analysis on the AP, the overall functionality of that unit seems very buggy still as well as still not providing the long promised Dirac....I don't feel that being live guinea pigs for Emotiva's debugging sounds like a good way to spend that much $$....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
99.9% sure this is no longer the case.

It wasn’t restricted, then Dolby restricted it, and then rescinded the restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any links?

Anyone with a 3600 that can confirm?

Was the fix to allow it in a firmware update or something?

Sorry to bring it up but this type of Dolby bullying is annoying.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From the asr thread seems ol' Emotiva has removed "offending" remarks about this issue and locked their discussion thread. Pathetic.

ps Looking at the Emotiva thread I linked earlier, that particular thread isn't locked but there is mention of another thread that was....

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis