Denon Vs Yamaha AVR

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
I have several Crown XLS amps (four XLS1500s and one 2502) for my diy subs primarily but also on the mains in my main system (don't really need them for the mains at my listening levels but they were just sitting there....). They run nice and quiet, have some nice features and can be connected with rca cables (or balanced if you have them) so are fairly consumer friendly.

The power rating on the speakers is more a warning of what maximum not to exceed without potentially damaging them, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're going to need that much for your listening levels, even allowing for some headroom. Are the ratings program/continuous or peak? More useful would be using their sensitivity rating and an spl calculator to estimate your needs. More than enough power isn't necessarily a bad thing, but unused power is just that....unused.
Thanks this helps. Looks like it's peak power 150 watts @ 4 ohms, unfortunately, I don't have the sensitivity rating as the speakers are pretty old. What's your opinion on power amps like Rotel RMB-1066, I found a used one for a cheaper price. Wondering if these amps can last longer so that I can use it for at least the next few years?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If this is still for your JVC HTIB speakers/sub set I'd first concentrate on getting better speakers/subs. Maybe get an amp for the subs so you could use them. I'd rather have a pro amp's higher power and lower impedance handling for that rather than the Rotel amp, which doesn't appear to be as powerful as your avr.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
@lovinthehd, I got used Emotiva BasX A-300 for the subs and it sounds better now.

@MacCali @mazersteven @lovinthehd I've decided to replace my JVC LR channels with a new set of speakers, the guy who sold the amp is also offering a pair of https://www.amazon.ca/Polk-Audio-LSiM-703-Loudspeaker/dp/B0062P6D8A for 700 CAD (including stands). I will listen to a lot of music in a stereo mode so I would prefer full-range speakers with deeper bass and mids. These speakers got a good review but I didn't get a chance to try this out as the model is discontinued. Wondering if these speakers are worth spending? What are the factors should I consider before buying one?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis