Denon New AV Receivers have 4 Features Nobody Else Has!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We just did an incredibly informational Virtual Press Event for Denon on the Audioholics YouTube channel to discuss their new 2020 X-Series AV Receiver line up. In it, we learned their new products have 4 features no other AV receiver company currently has, including:

1. DTS:X Pro - to go beyond 11.1CH restrictions
2. Preamp Mode - fully disconnects amps from preamp path per Audioholics suggestion to reduce distortion
3. Dual Presets, allows full configuration settings including independent Audyssey calibrations
4. HDMI 2.1 with 8K support

Read: 2020 Denon X-Series AV Receiver Overview

Stay tuned for our X-Series Receiver Giveaway!

6700-close.jpg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Eager to watch the video later today! Great news that Denon has come out swinging. I hope this becomes a great year for better AV gear across the board.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I see even the 6700H has the new Dolby height virtualization program on it.

T

tparm

Audioholic
We are a difficult bunch to satisfy......but why can't each pre-out and amp be assigned or why didn't Denon just but a Pre/Pro? I'd love to buy an X3700 and use pre-amp mode for the front three channels and onboard amps for all other channels. Alas I can run it in 11.1 mode (even though my system is 5.2.4) and power my LR at 2V of clean power but not my center. :confused: I respect Denon and appreciate the quality of their products, and these things are feature-rich, but wish for a bit more flexibility on the pre-out front.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Are the prices released on these as well? Any one have them?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you. Not too bad on the pricing. I'm not replacing my X3400H but nice receivers, cool features.

I

IMWhizzle

Audioholic Intern
Baby steps... These models feel like a "in between". It's a pity that the user can't decide which channels can be assigned to the pre-amp mode. Therefore I need to buy an additional power amp for my Atmos channels. I was hoping that Gene could ask Sound United if this feature could be possible via a firmware update.

Also the 40Gbps doesn't feel good. Dolby Vision content is also in 12 bit, which reduces banding in content even though the user is watching it a a 10-bit screen. Also one "8K" input is not enough for the future. Apple will soon announce a new ATV model. Chances are that it could be a HDMI 2.1 device.

I also use a Philips Hue Sync box for ambient lightning and syncs with the content on the screen. Using eARC I can't use that feature.

I'm hoping for a more flexible pre-amp mode
more high bandwidth HDMI 2.1 inputs (including all HDMI 2.1 features)
and full 48gbps to future proof it.

Not everyone is interested in buying a new amp every two years I assume.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Just for fun, let's say you were given a new X3700 and had to use it in pre-amp mode (so you can't use any internal amplification), what amp(s) would you pair with it?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
We are a difficult bunch to satisfy......but why can't each pre-out and amp be assigned or why didn't Denon just but a Pre/Pro? I'd love to buy an X3700 and use pre-amp mode for the front three channels and onboard amps for all other channels. Alas I can run it in 11.1 mode (even though my system is 5.2.4) and power my LR at 2V of clean power but not my center. :confused: I respect Denon and appreciate the quality of their products, and these things are feature-rich, but wish for a bit more flexibility on the pre-out front.
They have to save such flexibility for their flag ship AVR-X8500H, I guess otherwise everyone will just buy the 6700:D because the X8700H won't be out for at least another year to compete with it.

In terms of flexibility, at least you can still run 11.1 and power FL/FR with >2 V clean, assuming you can't do so with the center, but for movies when the center channel dominates, can you really hear 0.018732% THD+N? And, that's at 2.5 dB above reference level for rooms that ended up with trim level 0 after running Audyssey.

ASR review (on page 14) shows that even at 1.4 V, volume position 79.5 (that is 0.5 below "0"), or 195 W/390 W into 8/4 ohms using power amps with 29 dB gain, the AVR-X3600H still managed the very clean 0.0014% THD+N.

It was not affected when 7 channels were driven either, SINAD of the FL/FR dropped only by 1, and no changed either the 5 channel driven conditions.

Regardless, for those who don't need XLR or choose to blindly accept the perceived benefits of HDAM (measurements actually showed the opposite), the new Denon AVRs is a good alternative to Marantz AVPs, especially if some of the internal amps will be used.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think we should now lobby Sound United to offer FW upgrade to add the full/true pre-amp mode to the X/4400/4500/6400/6500H and the SR/6012/6013/6014/7011/7012/7013. At the minimum, a paid upgrade, if kept under $30.:D I have seen the schematics/block diagrams, the switches and relays are there for those models (the X4300H and SR6011 may be okay too), not a hardware issue at all.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just for fun, let's say you were given a new X3700 and had to use it in pre-amp mode (so you can't use any internal amplification), what amp(s) would you pair with it?
Oh many choices. Outlaw Audio and Emotiva come to mind if you are looking to go budget. I have a Parasound amp controlled by the Denon X3400H. Works extremely well. Wish it had this preamp mode but I'll suffer along with out it.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Oh many choices. Outlaw Audio and Emotiva come to mind if you are looking to go budget. I have a Parasound amp controlled by the Denon X3400H. Works extremely well. Wish it had this preamp mode but I'll suffer along with out it.

I was thinking Monolith 5X for floors and another (I own one) BasX A-150 to power my 4 ceiling speakers..... Not sure about the XPA Gen3 but I haven't heard one. Friend has a 5X and I like it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think we should now lobby Sound United to offer FW upgrade to add the full/true pre-amp mode to the X/4400/4500/6400/6500H and the SR/6012/6013/6014/7011/7012/7013. At the minimum, a paid upgrade, if kept under $30.:D I have seen the schematics/block diagrams, the switches and relays are there for those models (the X4300H and SR6011 may be okay too), not a hardware issue at all.
It's not just firmware, the hardware needs to support shutting off the power to the power amp section and I'm not sure the protection circuitry can be controlled in the menu.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I was thinking Monolith 5X for floors and another (I own one) BasX A-150 to power my 4 ceiling speakers..... Not sure about the XPA Gen3 but I haven't heard one. Friend has a 5X and I like it.
Excellent choice, I always forget what them for some reason.

T

tparm

Audioholic

....the Outlaw 5000 is an insane value.

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
I’d keep my Outlaw 2200s.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
All the whining I did to Denon about announcing their new AVR's with HDMI 2.1 support and now I have to keep whining that there is only port that will pass 4k/120 10bit graphics when I need at least 3. There's always something. Gamers looking for a way to enjoy an Xbox Series X, PS5 and PC with forthcoming Nvidia and AMD cards have no choice but to buy an LG OLED for it's four 40Gbps ports and use earc. Not the worst solution but not the greatest plan ever conceived.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis