Denon New AV Receivers have 4 Features Nobody Else Has!

T

tparm

Audioholic
The Benchmark should have more Chocolately mids because it more expensive.:rolleyes:
For the record, that isn't what I am saying at all. But it's a completely different configuration so I am curious if they sound different. That's all. It is prettier. :p

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
For the record, that isn't what I am saying at all. But it's a completely different configuration so I am curious if they sound different. That's all. It is prettier. :p
Honestly I just like using the term “Chocolately mids “. For some reason it makes me chuckle inside.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I do think there's something to be said for better parts, aesthetics, tighter tolerances, overall build quality, class of amplification, etc... lots of reasons for the appeal despite a higher price tag.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The Benchmark should have more Chocolately mids because it more expensive.:rolleyes:
Benkmark better have something extra for that price. Did Monoprice just raise their amps by about $200 from where I saw them last month?

Last edited:
T

tparm

Audioholic
Benkmark better have something extra for that price. Did Monoprice just raised their amps by about $200 from where I saw them last month?

I wondered the same thing (price). Looks like Emotiva for me, plus military discount.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wondered the same thing (price). Looks like Emotiva for me, plus military discount.
Not trying to talk you out of it, but it has been noted before that Emo wouldn't service Gene's Amp after the warranty expired. That's not the kind of track record I like to gamble with.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Not trying to talk you out of it, but it has been noted before that Emo wouldn't service Gene's Amp after the warranty expired. That's not the kind of track record I like to gamble with.
Yea they can be a little quirky... both products and people. Has this ever come up with Monoprice? Interestingly my Citi cars extends the factory warranty on electronics purchases, recently found that out.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
D70D8BCC-3512-4545-9309-4B3443BED2C6.jpeg

No matter what AVR you choose this will happen :p
To All that are in this hobby. :D may only take one thing that all AVR's have in Common, Processing processing processing. Aww the Simple joy of make-believe.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Has this ever come up with Monoprice?
Not that I've heard of. But the Monoliths are still pretty new, too. An extended warranty offered by Visa or Citibank seems moot if the Manufacturer will not or cannot repair something. *shrugs
Your Ducats, though. :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Not that I've heard of. But the Monoliths are still pretty new, too. An extended warranty offered by Visa or Citibank seems moot if the Manufacturer will not or cannot repair something. *shrugs
Your Ducats, though. :)
Yeah it's not like your Bank will refund all your money for a 3 years old audio gear. You may if your lucky get a Partial refund but that depends how good of a custom you are with the bank how much money is in your account. Be careful with those Implied warranties The department of e-commerce is not your friend. Than Crossing state lines multiple state lines you could have A financial nightmare trying to get justice of Customer satisfaction. The policies of the company whoever you bought from just may have and probably does people at the courts in their back pocket of the State or County where that Home company resides in. Don't even look if the gear was made overseas Go try and sue China see how it works out for you. The deck is always stacked for the manufactures or whoever sells the gear. Buy Local from a reputable seller when ever Possible. It helps your Local economy and the money stays in your community most of it anyways.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If pre-pros and separate amps cost ~the same I'd probably go that route. Provided the pre-pro could offer at minimum bass management. What is so taboo about bass management anyway? I'm currently using a couple of channels in my AVR to power my surrounds, but I don't need the internal amps, but I do need the multi channel processing and bass management.

Then again... maybe not. AVRs tend to have a ton of useful features most pre-pros don't. My SR6011 is still plenty current for anything I need and not planning to replace it anytime soon.
Well the Pre-pros from Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Integra, Onkyo, Anthem have the same features (including bass management) as their AVR counterparts.

The salient difference is that the pre-pros don’t have the internal amps like the AVRs. But besides that, they are practically the same.

So for example, going from a Yamaha CX-A5100 + MX-A5000 to a single Yamaha RX-A3080 is going to sound exactly the same to me.

The famous question has always been, if they sound the same, then why use separates?

My answer?

1. Separates theoretically are supposed to last a lot longer because they are higher quality. So far, I am 0 for 1 since my AVP-A1HD died after about 8 years. Let’s see how long the CX-A5100 lasts.

2. Pride of ownership. As long separates last longer, I can say they are “higher quality “. But if they don’t last longer, I can say separates are not higher quality and pride of ownership goes out the window. Then I will just stick to a single flagship AVR since it will power all my 9 speakers absolutely great.

To me, with a few exceptions, only my subwoofers truly require separate amps, not most speakers. And I don’t buy, “but my speakers dip down to 3 ohms”.

I’ve used a $400 50WPC 5.1 AVR to power 5 speakers (4 towers + center) that all ”dip down to 3 ohms”. So just because they dip down to 3 ohms somewhere in the 20-200Hz region doesn’t mean that much to me.

All this talk of power is mostly audiophile talk to me. Pride of ownership is huge and important. Everyone is going to think they are correct and can find some arguments to justify their theories. People’s thinking may change over time based on experiences.

I definitely don’t get people spending $3K on amps for their $2K/pair speakers. Probably another pride of ownership reason. :D

Just use common sense. Don’t listen too loudly. Always start at lower volume and gradually increase. If your electronics overheat, find ways to cool them (buy different electronics that stay cooler, use fans, A/C, etc.).

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I user error fried my first Monolith amp and they replaced it under warranty. It wasn't exactly fast service (took over 2 weeks all told), but they didn't even ask any questions. I was hoping they wouldn't... lol.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well the Pre-pros from Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Integra, Onkyo, Anthem have the same features (including bass management) as their AVR counterparts.

The salient difference is that the pre-pros don’t have the internal amps like the AVRs. But besides that, they are practically the same.

So for example, going from a Yamaha CX-A5100 + MX-A5000 to a single Yamaha RX-A3080 is going to sound exactly the same to me.

The famous question has always been, if they sound the same, then why use separates?

My answer?

1. Separates theoretically are supposed to last a lot longe because they are higher quality. So far, I am 0 for 1 since my AVP-A1HD died after about 8 years. Let’s see how long the CX-A5100 lasts.

2. Pride of ownership. As long separates last longer, I can say they are “higher quality “. But if they don’t last longer, I can say separates are not higher quality and pride of ownership goes out the window. Then I will just stick to a single flagship AVR since it will power all my 9 speakers absolutely great.

To me, with a few exceptions, only the subwoofers truly require separate amps, not most speakers. And I don’t buy, “but my speakers dip down to 3 ohms”.

I’ve used a $400 50WPC 5.1 AVR to power 5 speakers (4 towers + center) that all ”dip down to 3 ohms”. So just because they dip down to 3 ohms somewhere in the 20-200Hz region doesn’t mean that much to me.

All this talk of power is mostly audiophile talk to me. Pride of ownership is huge and important. Everyone is going to think they are correct and can find some arguments to justify their theories. People’s thinking may change over time based on experiences.

I definitely don’t get people spending $3K on amps for their $2K/pair speakers. Probably another pride of ownership reason. :D

Just use common sense. Don’t listen too loudly. Always start at lower volume and gradually increase. If your electronics overheat, find ways to cool them (buy different electronics that stay cooler, use fans, A/C, etc.).
Why not add a outboard amp? AVR's or even Some, Power supply isn't aways at it best why? it's Shared with everything else. A Dedicated outboard amp has only ONE Purpose to Supply dedicated power at the rail and out to your speakers. At Reference level or above the dynamic swing that most AVR's or separates cannot achieve at time's. There are times when the ones with Golden ears :Dwill not settle for anything less!:D But if Your up the food chain speakers, rule of law then why add a outboard amp to Your upper food chain speakers that only Require 100 watts to drive to reference Levels? :D

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not gonna lie, that's a big part of it for me. I just love that big gray box that makes noises happen. It's still like brand new.
To me, with a few exceptions, only the subwoofers truly require separate amps, not most speakers. And I don’t buy, “but my speakers dip down to 3 ohms”.

Well, as you probably saw I recently went through a minor crisis, worrying about blowing my new speakers up so I knuckled down and figured out my power needs with the dial pegged for the occasional song. At high volumes (95 dB) I'm using about 35 watts, which leaves me about 7 dB headroom before I run out of juice. It also gives me a little leeway with eq too, tho I avoid boosts wherever possible. Yesterday however, I hit this listening to Korn.

650-1_copy_540x233.jpg

To hit that I'm using well over 70 watts. When you figure for headroom I think I actually qualify for a 200wpc amp at the distance I sit to keep me from clipping with peaks or hot recordings. Altho I freely admit not turning it up so loud is a good solution too. I don't listen that loud very often, but I sometimes do so I wanted to know if I was pushing anything beyond its limits.
Me either. That's the one that probably gets me the most. $3k is much better spent on upgrading your $2k speakers if you really want a noticeable improvement. So many people get hung up on spending the big bucks on power, thinking that's going to improve things and it just doesn't. Unless you're underpowered to begin with, which is rarely the case.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m sure in a few years I’ll be curious about the latest and greatest and 5 inputs with 8k would be about right. I’m more likely to go Yamaha over Denon though. I refuse to use the “smart” TV as the HDMI hub. LOL :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I’m sure in a few years I’ll be curious about the latest and greatest and 5 inputs with 8k would be about right. I’m more likely to go Yamaha over Denon though. I refuse to use the “smart” TV as the HDMI hub. LOL :)
Than you'll miss out for not buy a Denon lol :D or 8k you will than be aPart of the collective like you are now lmao:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. Why not add a outboard amp?
2. AVR's Power supply isn't aways at it best
1. I’ve never owned a system that needed more power than what any flagship AVR can output. For example, the Yamaha RX-A3080 can output about 300 watts RMS into 4 ohms x 2Ch. The RX-A2080 can output 260 watts RMS into 4 ohms x 2Ch.

2. Best “enough”. @PENG can tell you about the little Denon 3000 AVR series that could output about 170 watts into 1 ohms on the test bench. Some outboard amps can’t even do that.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Who can tell the future, right? :D

I don’t see myself getting an 8K JVC Laser PJ, but if I did, I would definitely want a new Pre-pro or AVR with 8K HDMI.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis