Denon New AV Receivers have 4 Features Nobody Else Has!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In fact if I weren't satisfied with my speakers I'd get new ones before trying to address it by choosing an amp that isn't accurate to use as a tone control. Or get REW, a UMIK 1 and a MiniDSP. That will give you measurable and audible improvement for far less. Hell, get the Monolith (as opposed to the Anthem for $2200, then get the Mini and mic with the money saved and still have some left over!

T

tparm

Audioholic
Huh? If your LSiMs are recessed in the top end they're going to sound that way no matter which of those amps you choose. Either new speakers or a little EQ will fix that. An amp should be accurate and flat, not used for tone control. If Emo or ATI amps are tilted up and the Monolith is recessed (Monolith amps are built by ATI, btw...) then none of them are any good, imo. I know that's not the case tho...

My Ultra towers are a little recessed and that's how they sound. My Sierra ribbon towers are more forward and that's how they sound. Both on the same amp, in the same room. That's a characteristic of the speakers tho, not the amp.
Soooo....?

T

tparm

Audioholic
In fact if I weren't satisfied with my speakers I'd get new ones before trying to address it by choosing an amp that isn't accurate to use as a tone control. Or get REW, a UMIK 1 and a MiniDSP. That will give you measurable and audible improvement for far less. Hell, get the Monolith (as opposed to the Anthem for $2200, then get the Mini and mic with the money saved and still have some left over!
I've got Umik-1 and REW. And Dirac via Arcam.
There are no Monolith Class D amps.

And-

And-

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
T

tparm

Audioholic
Huh? If your LSiMs are recessed in the top end they're going to sound that way no matter which of those amps you choose. Either new speakers or a little EQ will fix that. An amp should be accurate and flat, not used for tone control. If Emo or ATI amps are tilted up and the Monolith is recessed (Monolith amps are built by ATI, btw...) then none of them are any good, imo. I know that's not the case tho...

My Ultra towers are a little recessed and that's how they sound. My Sierra ribbon towers are more forward and that's how they sound. Both on the same amp, in the same room. That's a characteristic of the speakers tho, not the amp.
Having said all that, the Monolith is my top choice and I know they are made by ATI, big selling point for me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Having said all that, the Monolith is my top choice and I know they are made by ATI, big selling point for me.
I forget which one, but the Monolith is almost identical internally to one of ATIs models. From what you're concluding the Monolith would sound recessed and the ATI tilted up. They're both built by the same company.

T

tparm

Audioholic
You're losing me, lol. Soooo...? What part of that review are you pointing out?

And get outta here with that subjective Stereophile... poop. :p
Ha!

Well, in the shootout it appears our buddies here at Audioholics say the two ATI amplifiers sound differently from one another, which is in conflict with your original response. ;)

T

tparm

Audioholic
the
I forget which one, but the Monolith is almost identical internally to one of ATIs models. From what you're concluding the Monolith would sound recessed and the ATI tilted up. They're both built by the same company.
Read the Audioholics shootout man! The Monolith is based on the 4000, completely different animal than the AT52XNC line. So, even the two ATI models sound different from one another.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ha!

Well, in the shootout it appears our buddies here at Audioholics say the two ATI amplifiers sound differently from one another, which is in conflict with your original response. ;)
RichB wrote that review and I don't always agree with him. Again tho, subjective impressions. I wonder how that would have gone in a DBT...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
the

Read the Audioholics shootout man! The Monolith is based on the 4000, completely different animal than the AT52XNC line. So, even the two ATI models sound different from one another.
I disagree and don't think you would be able to pick one over the other in a DBT.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What speakers are you using again? I know these terms drive audiophiles crazy, but here I go; my LSiM707 are slightly recessed in the top end and I've heard the Monoliths are too which makes me wonder about that match. The ATI Class Ds and Emotiva seem to be a bit tilted up on the top which may not be a bad thing. I guess I could order 5 amps and choose but that may get a little pricey on return shipping...... Found an Anthem MCA 325 for $2,200 too.
MCA325 for $2200 is good if brand new with manufacturer's warranty but it won't sound different than the Monolith if used with your Polk's. If they do sound different then something is wrong with one of them.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I disagree and don't think you would be able to pick one over the other in a DBT.
RichB offered his subjective opinion. To him, everything seem to sound different even when they sound the same to others, so choose who you believe or don't believe anyone.

Sorry, responded to the wrong post. Meant for tparm obviously.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
RichB offered his subjective opinion. To him, everything seem to sound different even when they sound the same to others, so choose who you believe or don't believe anyone.

Sorry, responded to the wrong post. Meant for tparm obviously.
You're right tho. He posts here and at 1 or 2 other forums I pop into from time to time. I like and respect Rich, but I don't always agree with his subjective side.

I'm still wondering about this shootout... I miss something? I'm in the camp of, if it's a competently built amplifier then it's a good amp. I've never gone down the rabbit hole of chocolatey midrange, recessed highs or "faster bass" when it comes to amps. I don't read a ton of subjective reviews from the amp camp so I have no idea what the current favorite flavor of kool-aid is.

T

tparm

Audioholic
This is my favorite forum so I don't want to come across argumentative or, for heaven's sake offend anyone, by pushing my point. I hear what you guys are saying. I just don't believe a $1,000 2CH Class AB Monolith and a $3,000 2CH Benchmark AHB2 Class D sound the same if every other variable is constant. But, I am old and humble enough to admit I could be wrong. Heck, now I might have to try it to satisfy my curiosity.

And I love the Polks, I am not a forward sounding speaker kind of guy. I had Focals and they have been more accurate but weren't for me. I miss my Martin Logan Motions, those tweeters are awesome.

T

tparm

Audioholic
MCA325 for $2200 is good if brand new with manufacturer's warranty but it won't sound different than the Monolith if used with your Polk's. If they do sound different then something is wrong with one of them.
Yea new Open Box from Crutchfield. I live 3.5 miles from their Harrisonburg VA store.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is my favorite forum so I don't want to come across argumentative or, for heaven's sake offend anyone, by pushing my point.
I don't think anyone is getting offended. I can tell you I'm not at all. You just hit me fast and furious with a few links and comments, one right after the other and I'm still absorbing the first post, lol.
I hear what you guys are saying. I just don't believe a $1,000 2CH Class AB Monolith and a $3,000 2CH Benchmark AHB2 Class D sound the same if every other variable is constant. But, I am old and humble enough to admit I could be wrong. Heck, now I might have to try it to satisfy my curiosity.
If you get an opportunity to do so, I think you should for sure! The debates can go on forever, but it is possible to settle it. Proper DBTs aren't easy to set up tho. There are a lot of variables to consider.

I get the logic of higher price = better sound. It's classic expectation bias and placebo. Something I thought I knew something about until I dug deeper and found out that a lot more of my own perceptions and expectations were/are biased way more than I realized. Not just with audio either.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You're right tho. He posts here and at 1 or 2 other forums I pop into from time to time. I like and respect Rich, but I don't always agree with his subjective side.

I'm still wondering about this shootout... I miss something? I'm in the camp of, if it's a competently built amplifier then it's a good amp. I've never gone down the rabbit hole of chocolatey midrange, recessed highs or "faster bass" when it comes to amps. I don't read a ton of subjective reviews from the amp camp so I have no idea what the current favorite flavor of kool-aid is.
Rich is a real gentleman, but I think it will be great if a few of us can get together to organize a meaningful DBT event.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Rich is a real gentleman, but I think it will be great if a few of us can get together to organize a meaningful DBT event.
I'd like to do it! If for any reason to be able put my money where my mouth is since I'm always bringing it up, lol. I'm absolutely willing to change my tune if the claims hold up under controlled conditions. If I could consistently pick one over another that would be a huge eye opener for me.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
This is my favorite forum so I don't want to come across argumentative or, for heaven's sake offend anyone, by pushing my point. I hear what you guys are saying. I just don't believe a $1,000 2CH Class AB Monolith and a $3,000 2CH Benchmark AHB2 Class D sound the same if every other variable is constant. But, I am old and humble enough to admit I could be wrong. Heck, now I might have to try it to satisfy my curiosity.

And I love the Polks, I am not a forward sounding speaker kind of guy. I had Focals and they have been more accurate but weren't for me. I miss my Martin Logan Motions, those tweeters are awesome.
The Benchmark should have more Chocolately mids because it more expensive.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis