Denon New AV Receivers have 4 Features Nobody Else Has!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
You been around since 2014! where you been hiding man! Postup! Tell us how you digging your setup. I have a NFL Thread started go check it out.
I don't want to Derailed OP's thread anymore than we have already with Who Dat Nation fans, some of the members don't take to kindly to threads being Derailed with jokes and off Subject post. Especially Cajun flair with a little gravy on the side.

Last edited:
T

tparm

Audioholic
You been around since 2014! where you been hiding man! Postup! Tell us how you digging your setup. I have a NFL Thread started go check it out.
I don't want to Derailed OP's thread anymore than we have already with Who Dat Nation fans, some of the members don't take to kindly to threads being Derailed with jokes and off Subject post. Especially Cajun flair with a little gravy on the side.
Yo! I come and go on these forums, between daily life, JazzFest and watching Brees and the Saints! Love the city, the food, the people and of course the music. as far as the system goes I am deconstructing as we speak. Building a house and putting together a system for a dedicated AV room and Bar. Pretty pumped, long hallway leading to the room will be full of art and includes a wine cellar (and my girlfriends craft room). Room is on a slab and have full autonomy for layout, treating etc. I’ll attach a sketch. I’m here because I wanted an X3600 but they are all gone so now I’m back to head-scratching. 3700, 4700, XMC-2, HTP-1, T778, wait and see on Marantz...... I’ve totally confused myself. Abyway, happy Friday and Geaux Saints!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yo! I come and go on these forums, between daily life, JazzFest and watching Brees and the Saints! Love the city, the food, the people and of course the music. as far as the system goes I am deconstructing as we speak. Building a house and putting together a system for a dedicated AV room and Bar. Pretty pumped, long hallway leading to the room will be full of art and includes a wine cellar (and my girlfriends craft room). Room is on a slab and have full autonomy for layout, treating etc. I’ll attach a sketch. I’m here because I wanted an X3600 but they are all gone so now I’m back to head-scratching. 3700, 4700, XMC-2, HTP-1, T778, wait and see on Marantz...... I’ve totally confused myself. Abyway, happy Friday and Geaux Saints!
If I had to Choose between the two Marantz hands down. Between Yamaha and Marantz be a Tough choice would come down to price. Denon also between price's. Don't believe All the hype Do your own research. I have seen what you have, The new 2020 Yamahas aren't even out yet. Who knows what bugs those new AVR's will have. As for Reliability between those three it's a close Tossup. Marantz. :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
10 months to sit, wait and watch.... painful.
I'm digging it man, 5.1 setup? no Atmos?:rolleyes: TLSGUY and I seem to believe just get do full range speakers for your surrounds even center channel if Possible. Think of 5.1 or .2 all channel Stereo! Cause I know once you get your new home built your gonna blow the Dust off the walls a few times.:) Sometimes surround is over rated. I do know a few who do, do full range speakers Throughout the whole set up even for surround they set everything to Large I heard a setup, set like that Think Te- Rex Stomping sound like the roofer is coming down. lol:D one more thing how high will your Ceiling be? 8 ft?12ft? good size room if your ceiling is gonna be 12ft high or more think Reflected sound may need room treatments on ceiling. Some have had issues with a Vaulted ceilings I helped this dude he was getting Reflective, delayed sound all over the place. We spend over a week with a SPL meter just to get rid of bass issues. He also used his Mac PC with a Software he had Program for EQ Spikes, Man we had 4 mics setup on Tripods one in the sweet spot and the other 3 we moved around it helped. Wasn't fun got to be like work lol up and down two Ladders Crawling on the floor. I grabbed his wife's Ipad download a App to it I'm messing around with one mic Man he got mad! told him his Software was overrated he almost threw me out his house. :D

Last edited:
T

tparm

Audioholic
I'm digging it man, 5.1 setup? no Atmos?:rolleyes: TLSGUY and I seem to believe just get do full range speakers for your surrounds even center channel if Possible. Think of 5.1 or .2 all channel Stereo! Cause I know once you get your new home built your gonna blow the Dust off the walls a few times.:) Sometimes surround is over rated. I do know a few who do, do full range speakers Throughout the whole set up even for surround they set everything to Large I heard a setup, set like that Think Te- Rex Stomping sound like the roofer is coming down. lol:D one more thing how high will your Ceiling be? 8 ft?12ft? good size room if your ceiling is gonna be 12ft high or more think Reflected sound may need room treatments on ceiling. Some have had issues with a Vaulted ceilings I helped this dude he was getting Reflective, delayed sound all over the place. We spend over a week with a SPL meter just to get rid of bass issues. He also used his Mac PC with a Software he had Program for EQ Spikes, Man we had 4 mics setup on Tripods one in the sweet spot and the other 3 we moved around it helped. Wasn't fun got to be like work lol up and down two Ladders Crawling on the floor. I grabbed his wife's Ipad download a App to it I'm messing around with one mic Man he got mad! told him his Software was overrated he almost threw me out his house. :D
I have to admit I've seriously considered going 5.2. However, that really doesn't solve any of the inherit issues with these AVRs and Bladerunner 2049 sounds pretty bad ass w/ Atmos. I mean, it's a new build so why not out speakers I already own in the ceiling? And I don't plan to get rid of my LSiM set up, I like them a lot. One thing I like about Denon and Marantz is they mostly "work." I owned an NAD T758 V3 and that thing was a complete pain and my Arcam isn't plug and play for sure.

Ceiling is 9' and flat and I will treat room as needed but I tend to under-treat (compared to a lot of what I see on threads). Cement floor, padded rug, big ass soft sofa. I will use REW to measure room and set up speaker and sub locations before I calibrate with whatever on-board system I end up with. Arcam may be sold, so the hunt begins soon. Good catching up and thanks for the input.

PS I do wonder what of the bench tests over at ASR I can actually hear...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
why buy a receiver with pre amplifier mode ?
buy a surround pre amplifier and add power amplifiers. no ?
That’s how I think also, but everyone thinks differently.

If pre-pros + amps cost about the same as AVRs, would everyone buy pre-pros + amps? I thought they would, but I might be wrong.

I recently sold some equipment to client (PJ, speakers, etc.). He asked about AVR vs Pre-pro. I told him I could get him a state-of-the-art 11CH pre-pro + 11CH amp for about the same price as the AVR he wanted, but he still got the Denon X8500 anyway. :D

Maybe he’s just an exception or just wants certain brands? No telling.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most likely because the AVR with pre-amp mode will be cheaper than a component surround/pre-amp processor..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Especially if they change the name from ”AVR” to “Integrated AVP”. :D

Guy1: I have an Integrated AVP + Amp.
Guy2: But....it still has a bunch of amps on the inside, so it’s technically still an “AVR”.
Guy1: No, they removed the FM tuner, so now it’s more of an Integrated AVP, like an Integrated Amp + AV Processor. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Especially true for people who want to spend their heard earn money on a better 3 channel amp for the front 3 channels only; and they are not concerned with using the AVR's internal amps to power the surround and height channels.
Yeah, but “most” people don’t even need any external amps because the AVR’s internal amps are usually perfectly capable of powering most speaker systems - that’s why most people just own AVRs w/o ext amps.

For example, if my RX-A3080 actually lasts longer than my CX-A5100 and MX-A5000, I would say “screw separates, they don’t really last any longer” and I would just replace them with a single AVR w/o any external amps, except for the ext amps for all my subs.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I have to admit I've seriously considered going 5.2. However, that really doesn't solve any of the inherit issues with these AVRs and Bladerunner 2049 sounds pretty bad ass w/ Atmos. I mean, it's a new build so why not out speakers I already own in the ceiling? And I don't plan to get rid of my LSiM set up, I like them a lot. One thing I like about Denon and Marantz is they mostly "work." I owned an NAD T758 V3 and that thing was a complete pain and my Arcam isn't plug and play for sure.

Ceiling is 9' and flat and I will treat room as needed but I tend to under-treat (compared to a lot of what I see on threads). Cement floor, padded rug, big ass soft sofa. I will use REW to measure room and set up speaker and sub locations before I calibrate with whatever on-board system I end up with. Arcam may be sold, so the hunt begins soon. Good catching up and thanks for the input.

PS I do wonder what of the bench tests over at ASR I can actually hear...
Some do use a lot of room treatments most if the time a good size rug Some curtains a few Pieces of wall art here and there Usually does the trick. Bass traps in Connors or behind the speakers can help a lot. I have found that Depending on the source Material with heavy bass recorded can be a issue. Those 707's I've Actually heard one time at the prices they are going for and not many new can be found now are a steal. Best of luck with the new build. Just a note, If I thought I could find a Decent apartment in New Orleans I mean in the city downtown around market Place I'd move. 1500 or more prices are out of my Pocket.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That’s how I think also, but everyone thinks differently.

If pre-pros + amps cost about the same as AVRs, would everyone buy pre-pros + amps? I thought they would, but I might be wrong.

I recently sold some equipment to client (PJ, speakers, etc.). He asked about AVR vs Pre-pro. I told him I could get him a state-of-the-art 11CH pre-pro + 11CH amp for about the same price as the AVR he wanted, but he still got the Denon X8500 anyway. :D

Maybe he’s just an exception or just wants certain brands? No telling.
If pre-pros and separate amps cost ~the same I'd probably go that route. Provided the pre-pro could offer at minimum bass management. What is so taboo about bass management anyway? I'm currently using a couple of channels in my AVR to power my surrounds, but I don't need the internal amps, but I do need the multi channel processing and bass management.

Then again... maybe not. AVRs tend to have a ton of useful features most pre-pros don't. My SR6011 is still plenty current for anything I need and not planning to replace it anytime soon.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Think I've located a new X3600. Will use a 3-channel amp for LCR; Monolith, Emotiva XPA Gen 3, ATI AT523NC, or Nord MC500 (what input sensitivity of the Nord?)? The Polk LSiM707s could stand to be "woken up" a bit but I'm not familiar with the Class D amps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
and I would just replace them with a single AVR w/o any external amps, except for the ext amps for all my subs.
I agree, if and when my amps fail, I would not hesitate to hook everything to my AVR. That will be a gradual process because my 3 amps for 11 channels should not be failing at the same time.:D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Think I've located a new X3600. Will use a 3-channel amp for LCR; Monolith, Emotiva XPA Gen 3, ATI AT523NC, or Nord MC500 (what input sensitivity of the Nord?)? The Polk LSiM707s could stand to be "woken up" a bit but I'm not familiar with the Class D amps.
So your going with a outboard amp? I'd use a outboard amp to drive the front 3 let what ever AVR you choose to drive your surrounds or if you do go more than 5.1 or .2 anyone of those AVR's you choose will drive your surrounds. As for Choices of amps it's a Tossup between the ones you listed. Remember Service After the sale, some or a few do Not offer service after the Warranty runs out. Than think Crossing state lines with implied warranties if you do ever need service some can Be a hassle getting even in Warranty service crossing many state lines with implied warranties e-commerce is not your friend. If at all Possible by local within your state just incase you need to file against who ever you Bought your gear from.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Loving my Monolith 7. It never gets hot and my SR6011 does the amp disconnect trick so I assigned preouts to my front l/r. It's way overkill but I never worry about running out of power or clipping when crank it up. I've never felt the Monolith get hot, even with my Ultra towers bi amped, cranked up and playing full range.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Loving my Monolith 7. It never gets hot and my SR6011 does the amp disconnect trick so I assigned preouts to my front l/r. It's way overkill but I never worry about running out of power or clipping when crank it up. I've never felt the Monolith get hot, even with my Ultra towers.
What speakers are you using again? I know these terms drive audiophiles crazy, but here I go; my LSiM707 are slightly recessed in the top end and I've heard the Monoliths are too which makes me wonder about that match. The ATI Class Ds and Emotiva seem to be a bit tilted up on the top which may not be a bad thing. I guess I could order 5 amps and choose but that may get a little pricey on return shipping...... Found an Anthem MCA 325 for $2,200 too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What speakers are you using again? I know these terms drive audiophiles crazy, but here I go; my LSiM707 are slightly recessed in the top end and I've heard the Monoliths are too which makes me wonder about that match. The ATI Class Ds and Emotiva seem to be a bit tilted up on the top which may not be a bad thing. I guess I could order 5 amps and choose but that may get a little pricey on return shipping...... Found an Anthem MCA 325 for $2,200 too.
Huh? If your LSiMs are recessed in the top end they're going to sound that way no matter which of those amps you choose. Either new speakers or a little EQ will fix that. An amp should be accurate and flat, not used for tone control. If Emo or ATI amps are tilted up and the Monolith is recessed (Monolith amps are built by ATI, btw...) then none of them are any good, imo. I know that's not the case tho...

My Ultra towers are a little recessed and that's how they sound. My Sierra ribbon towers are more forward and that's how they sound. Both on the same amp, in the same room. That's a characteristic of the speakers tho, not the amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis