Denon/Marantz vs Yamaha vs Anthem Thread

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
As quoted by Trell above, on Page 23 of the manual for the RX-A1080, it refers to connecting 4 ohms speakers to the front channels. IMO, this would include the center channel which often necessitates more power than the left or right channel.
From the picture of the back of an A1060 (post #138 by @KEW above) the front seems to mean just front left/right and not centre.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You do recognize that it wasn't "people", but Yamaha that said it first in their manual?
Excuse us for thinking Yamaha might know what they are talking about regarding products that they designed and manufactured:rolleyes:!
Maybe they don't, but in that case they should correct their manual rather than mislead the customer. Either way the problem falls on Yamaha more than people being "hilarious" because they actually believe Yamaha's guide for using the product is an authoritative source of information!
I thought similar as you when I saw the post you replied to, and from your attached picture of the back of the A1060 receiver shows that it's not just a manual "typo" concerning support of two 4-ohm front speakers. The back side of the A3080 shows the same, so this is something Yamaha has decided to write for some reason, even though there are reports that more than two 4-ohm speakers works fine.

This is not me bashing Yamaha but just reporting what Yamaha themselves write.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am sure the RX-A series are fine, but if I were to use an AVR as prepro I would go with Denon or Marantz. In my opinion, the slightly more reliability concerns can be mitigated somewhat by spending $20 on some quiet fans.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, so for serious HT, we're not going to mention any Yamaha below the A1000 series or any Denon below the 3000 series.

For more serious HT AVR, it seems to come down to Denon 3000/4000 or higher (and equivalent Marantz) vs Yamaha 1000/2000/3000 models most of the time.

For pre-pro, then it opens up to Marantz vs Yamaha vs Anthem vs Monolith.

Yamaha is known to be more power-conservative and applies stringent circuit protection.

Yamaha might be more reliable and more HDMI-compatible. My experience shows that Yamaha has much better remote apps and better manual EQ (Parametric EQ).

It's debatable whether Audyssey XT32 is better than YPAO. I don't like any auto room EQ software.

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Man, after finding out one of the Top manufacturers under cutting on the Ohms! Just soon get a Onkyo! They just over inflate watts! Most Onkyos at 900 bucks + rated 4 Ohm all channels! Yamaha gotta black eye on this for sure!! Lolo. :p.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I thought similar as you when I saw the post you replied to, and from your attached picture of the back of the A1060 receiver shows that it's not just a manual "typo" concerning support of two 4-ohm front speakers. The back side of the A3080 shows the same, so this is something Yamaha has decided to write for some reason, even though there are reports that more than two 4-ohm speakers works fine.

This is not me bashing Yamaha but just reporting what Yamaha themselves write.

Oh man! Yamaha on their Flagship AVR went and stepped back. They done let Onkyo pass them up! And on top of everything else, Marantz Denon and Onkyo and Pioneer all together! We gonna end up with Radio Shack gear all over again!!:p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, probably just the last 20 years or so.
Shall I dig up your tweaks for setting up Audyssey not very long ago? :) I know you primarily used Audyssey as a bass tweak, but, still you promoted its use and it wasn't 20 years ago. Divorcing yourself from Audyssey altogether is fine now but saying "never" not so much....What happened to Acurus and Def Tec, too? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Shall I dig up your tweaks for setting up Audyssey not very long ago? :) I know you primarily used Audyssey as a bass tweak, but, still you promoted its use and it wasn't 20 years ago. Divorcing yourself from Audyssey altogether is fine now but saying "never" not so much....What happened to Acurus and Def Tec, too? :)
We're debating semantics and vocabulary now?

If I had used the word "DIDN"T LIKE" instead of "NEVER LIKED", I could have saved a few posts.

I've only ever used Audyssey Bypass L/R DYNAMIC EQ for the bass boost.

But I've used other "RC" from HK about 20 years ago. And heard other RC since then.

Geez. Need a lawyer to type everything out these days.

And sure, dig up as many posts as you like. Should be interesting to see what I wrote 5 or 10 years ago. How time flies. :D

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We're debating semantics and vocabulary now?

If I had used the word "DIDN"T LIKE" instead of "NEVER LIKED", I could have saved a few posts.

I've only ever used Audyssey Bypass L/R DYNAMIC EQ for the bass boost.

But I've used other "RC" from HK about 20 years ago. And heard other RC since then.

Geez. Need a lawyer to type everything out these days.

And sure, dig up as many posts as you like. Should be interesting to see what I wrote 5 or 10 years ago. How time flies.
Never is a strong word. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never is a strong word. :)
Well, it depends on the context.

Sure, I usually don't use the word "never" in any formal contexts.

But for casual quick slang talk, I usually don't think too much about it. Certainly don't proof-read much of what I write on forums.

But I did go back to replace the word "never" with "didn't". Happy now? Geez. Give me a hard time for one word. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it depends on the context.

Sure, I usually don't use the word "never" in any formal contexts.

But for casual quick slang talk, I usually don't think too much about it. Certainly don't proof-read much of what I write on forums.

But I did go back to replace the word "never" with "didn't". Happy now? Geez. :D
I was gonna say "don't" is even been better, but that's what I see; didn't might imply you've changed your mind (again) :) Jeez, so sensitive today.... :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here's another question.

Do most people buy Denon because of some of the talks about power output and All-Channels-Driven results compared to Yamaha?

I'm sure Yamaha's conservative/stringent protection circuits doesn't help.

Or is it mainly (not ONLY) because of all these huge Denon discounts like 40-50% off?

It seems like Yamaha and Sony don't offer as much discounts as Denon.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now would somebody like @TLS Guy please talk about pre-pros? :D

@Phase 2, get yourself a Yamaha pre-pro, forget about the AVR. ;):D BTW, I'm keeping my ATI amp now. Haha. :D

Nobody's dissing my ATI amp. :cool:

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Now would somebody like @TLS Guy please talk about pre-pros? :D

@Phase 2, get yourself a Yamaha pre-pro, forget about the AVR. ;):D BTW, I'm keeping my ATI amp now. Haha. :D

Nobody's dissing my ATI amp. :cool:
Wait! ..What!! Nooooo!! I never, said I didn't! I (don't) Ever remember saying, never, don't or didn't! Man Yamaha done started a mess with Ohms! First it was Onkyo, and Sony rated 1050 watts total! Now Denon Marantz Onkyo Pioneer done went and threw in the towel! I'm Never, gonna don't know when we didn't see this Ever coming! :p

PS, now i know why TLS Guy hates AVR's. They just the messiest lil things. Oh wait He call AVR'S nasty little things..lolo:p

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis