Denon AVR-X8500H World's First 13.2CH AV Receiver

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That is the daftest product I have heard of in many a long day. Putting all that gear, especially the power amps in one case and running the weight up to 51 lb is the height of idiocy. It is long passed time to phase out receivers.

My advice is to avoid that unit like the plague.
Why? Denon receivers has pretty good reliability. For someone that doesn't need massive amounts of power, this offers more than enough and handles 13 speakers in one box. Personally I'd go with the Marantz AV8805 which is a clone of this without the amps, but I can understand folks limited on rack space and/or budget.

BTW, to date this is the best receiver ever made and measured better than most separates of the time:
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-5805

Granted the new 13CH Denon isn't built like this but it just shows you what can be done in an AV receiver if budget or space isn't an issue ;)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
No it has 13 internal amplifiers and 13 channels of processing.
I didn't see any spec for example; "200 watts per channel, both channels driven.....", that sort of thing.

Jeff Schmidt

Jeff Schmidt

Junior Audioholic
It’s a step in the right direction, but I think a lot of us Atmos junkies were hoping for 15.2 processing at this price point. ☹

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never Again! Bought into the AVP-A1HDCI with matching Separate Power Supply Hailed to be Revolutionary.
Unit has been retired and was suppose to be upgradeable so called "Future Proof"
It can be easy to buy into any hype from any manufacturer. Hardly anything is truly future-proof because nobody can see the future.

Good thing I have no desire to upgrade from my AVP-A1HDCI (no desire for ATMOS or 3D or any of those things).

That’s why I think it’s best to just get a mid-level AVR to use as a pre-pro and just buy a new AVR every few years if there is a new feature you want.

For example, buy a $1,000 Denon X3000 Series AVR on sale for $599 brand new. It sounds great as a pre-pro and $599 is so much easier to swallow. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I didn't see any spec for example; "200 watts per channel, both channels driven.....", that sort of thing.
The article states all internal amplification 150wpc (2CH driven). Spec field isn't fully populated since this is such a new product and not everything is known yet.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
It can be easy to buy into any hype from any manufacturer. Hardly anything is truly future-proof because nobody can see the future.

Good thing I have no desire to upgrade from my AVP-A1HDCI (no desire for ATMOS or 3D or any of those things).

That’s why I think it’s best to just get a mid-level AVR to use as a pre-pro and just buy a new AVR every few years if there is a new feature you want.

For example, buy a $1,000 Denon X3000 Series AVR on sale for $599 brand new. It sounds great as a pre-pro and $599 is so much easier to swallow. :D
Buy a new AVR every few years?:eek: Yikes..that could end up being a costly venture.

The Denon looks great, but I personally wouldn't pay 4 grand for a receiver. I would go the separates route for sure. But we all know you don't have to pay this kind of money to get good sound. I decided on a flagship because manufactures usually save their best components, DACs, power supplies and the like, for the upper models. The 3060 passes through every type of video I'm likely to use for years to come, and has more streaming features than I'm gonna use. And at 150 watts x2, it has all the clean power I need. (Granted my room is not very large and the speakers are pretty efficient) Also when you do spend the $600 for that mid level Denon, it still leaves you needing a power amp. I know there are options like the Outlaw model 5000 at $600... but If I'm going the external amp route, I'm going big or going home:D

Just another opinion on the subject..:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Buy a new AVR every few years?:eek: Yikes..that could end up being a costly venture.
Of course, you don't have to buy a new AVR every few years.

But with all the new techs that come out every few years, some people fancy buying something new just to keep up.

And if they do fancy that, it won't hurt as bad to buy a new AVR if your old AVR only costs $600, instead of $2K or $4K, etc.

I decided on a flagship because manufactures usually save their best components, DACs, power supplies and the like, for the upper models.
Just because the flagship models have higher-end components doesn't mean they will sound any better.

Also when you do spend the $600 for that mid level Denon, it still leaves you needing a power amp.
Depending on your speakers, you don't need to buy an additional power amp.

The Denon X3300 is a $1,000 AVR. But when it's on sale, you could buy for only $599 brand new or $484 Like-New open-box.

The X3300 can output 132 Watts x 2Ch into 8 ohms, 180 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms, and 277 Watts of Dynamic Power x 2 Ch into 4 ohms.

The X3300 can power 4-ohms towers like the RBH SVT tower to high volume from 18 FT distance. It can also power towers like B&W 802D2, Phil3, $3K Dynaudio towers, $3K Focal towers to high volume from at least 12FT distance without an additional power amp.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

The Denon looks great, but I personally wouldn't pay 4 grand for a receiver. I would go the separates route for sure. But we all know you don't have to pay this kind of money to get good sound. I decided on a flagship because manufactures usually save their best components, DACs, power supplies and the like, for the upper models. The 3060 passes through every type of video I'm likely to use for years to come, and has more streaming features than I'm gonna use. And at 150 watts x2, it has all the clean power I need. (Granted my room is not very large and the speakers are pretty efficient) Also when you do spend the $600 for that mid level Denon, it still leaves you needing a power amp. I know there are options like the Outlaw model 5000 at $600... but If I'm going the external amp route, I'm going big or going home:D

That is only true if one buys the flag ship right away instead of wait until the new model is out. For example, in no time you should be able to buy the brand new AVR-X7200WA for half the list price. That means one year from now you will be able to buy the Denon AVR-X8500H for 2K. There is no way you can get any comparable separate prepro+amp brand new at any time for even 4K. The outdated Yamaha CX5000 is still going for $2,500 brand new, either way are hard choices really.. That's why I am beginning to see ADTG's point, that is, get a mid to lower mid range unit like the X3300W, or RX-A2060 when the X4400H and the RX-A3070 are out. Then it will cost you only $600 and you can do this every several year to stay current, without feeling much pain.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That is only true if one buys the flag ship right away instead of wait until the new model is out. For example, in no time you should be able to buy the brand new AVR-X7200WA for half the list price. That means one year from now you will be able to buy the Denon AVR-X8500H for 2K. There is no way you can get any comparable separate prepro+amp brand new at any time for even 4K. The outdated Yamaha CX5000 is still going for $2,500 brand new, either way are hard choices really.. That's why I am beginning to see ADTG's point, that is, get a mid to lower mid range unit like the X3300W, or RX-A2060 when the X4300H and the RX-A3070 are out. Then it will cost you only $600 and you can do this every several year to stay current, without feeling much pain.
Agreed. My 4300H is fantastic and the new model get's me exactly nothing in terms of additional functionality.

TechHDS

Audioholic General

Yeah uhu?. I feel you man.lol nice post. By the way your 3060 is one of the nicest Flagships out there. I have one of his lil brothers and it performs nicely. One day soon I hope to pickup a 3050 or 3060 like you I never will use most of the bells and whistles just want one for the premium chipsets and the build quality of a flagship.

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
LOL.........I don't care what anybody says!, I love my receiver. And as long as it keeps working, it's staying right where it is, sitting pretty in my rack.:D

B

Badgerfan

Audiophyte
It’s a shame you can’t use the top middle to drive a second row of surround speakers. I was hoping this was what the extra channels might be for as I start my build. Speaker selectors it is...Ugh. Maybe the Marantz pre/pro will have it, but I doubt it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It’s a shame you can’t use the top middle to drive a second row of surround speakers. I was hoping this was what the extra channels might be for as I start my build. Speaker selectors it is...Ugh. Maybe the Marantz pre/pro will have it, but I doubt it.
I doubt that too. If the X8500H can't do that one, don't expect the AV8805 can do that either, no chance for that to happen.. The prepro basically gets you XLR, HDAM, the Denon took the space to squeeze in the power amps with the speaker binding posts and the larger power supply, in a larger box.

B

Badgerfan

Audiophyte
I doubt that too. If the X8500H can't do that one, don't expect the AV8805 can do that either, no chance for that to happen.. The prepro basically gets you XLR, HDAM, the Denon took the space to squeeze in the power amps with the speaker binding posts and the larger power supply, in a larger box.
Yep. We can only wish someone would do this one day though. It would be a nice touch.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep. We can only wish someone would do this one day though. It would be a nice touch.
Technically speaking it shouldn't be hard to implement a feature to allow each and every amp to be assignable to any channels. I suppose if they know there is a demand for such feature, they would eventually do it, at least for the upper mid range to flag ship models.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Amen, same thing I'm thinking with my X4300h also.
I should clarify in saying that I was referring to the 4400h not the unit in this thread.

The 8500h would get me two extra amps and width channels if I wanted so that would be extra. Unnecessary in my room, but it would still be extra.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
It is larger.

There is a comparison on their website between the top 3 models, under "general", for the physicals.
Peng, how does the Denon AVR-7200WA compare to your
MARANTZ AV8801 11.2-Ch Networking A/V Preamp/Processor? Congrats by the way!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Why would go the separate route? All you're going to do is spend more money with very little return.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis