Denon AVR-X8500H World's First 13.2CH AV Receiver

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The world's first 13.2CH Immersive Surround Receiver is what Denon is calling their new AVR-X8500H. This 51lbs monster is the king of all AV receivers at CES 2018 as we don't know of any other product that supports ALL 3 immersive surround formats, 3 pairs of height channels, with a HDMI 2.1 upgradability path. While it's asking price may seem a bit spendy, it's really not when you consider the arsenal of processing power this baby has and how flexible it will be for even the most upscale home theater installations.

Denon AVR-X8500H-2.JPG

Read: Denon AVR-X8500H World's First 13.2CH AV Receiver

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looking forward to the measurements of this new flagship AVR.

At least the price tag isn't as high as the previous flagships. My AVR-5308CI was $5,500.

I wish Denon had stuck to the old nomenclature and keep the 5000-series as the name for their flagship models.

Unless they are saying that these new 6000, 7000, and now 8000-series aren't truly their flagship and they will one day release a true AVR-5000 series flagship again.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Well I knew this was coming out. It was why I was able to get the X7200 for >50% off. My room is just not big enough to make it worth adding more channels than what I have.

Is it the same form factor as the 4520/7200 or is it larger?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I knew this was coming out. It was why I was able to get the X7200 for >50% off. My room is just not big enough to make it worth adding more channels than what I have.

Is it the same form factor as the 4520/7200 or is it larger?
It is larger.

There is a comparison on their website between the top 3 models, under "general", for the physicals.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
According to Denon USA website:

Denon 7200: 17.1" x 17.2" x 7.7", 37.7 LBS
Denon 8500: 17.1" x 18.7" x 7.7", 51.4 LBS
Denon 5308: 17.1" x 19.7" x 9.4", 62.7 LBS
Denon 5805: 17.1" x 19.9" x 11", 97.0 LBS (that was crazy :eek:)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
According to Denon USA website:

Denon 7200: 17.1" x 17.2" x 7.7", 37.7 LBS
Denon 8500: 17.1" x 18.7" x 7.7", 39.2 LBS
Denon 5308: 17.1" x 19.7" x 9.4", 62.7 LBS
Regarding the 39.2 lbs weight, according to Gene:

"The user manual states it weighs a whopping 51.4lbs despite the website error showing 39lbs. we confirmed with Denon at CES the correct weight is stated in the user manual."

http://manuals.denon.com/avrx8500h/na/en/

That makes sense because the Denon does seem to have a larger transformer than the Marantz SR8012's toroidal, and for the same specs, toroidals are typically lighter. The SR8012's weight is stated as 38 lbs 6 oz. in both the Owner's manual and the spec sheet.

The Denon AVR-X7200WA's weight is 39 lbs 4 oz. according both the spec sheet (not that comparison table) and the owner's manual.

It looks like the SR8012 is very comparable to the AVR-X7200WA in terms of power output, both have the same power consumption spec of 780 watts too, and same number of channels. The SR8812 obviously is more up to date than the AVR-X7200WA. The Marantz is about 1 lb lighter, probably due to the toroidal.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Thanks for the specs guys. It looks like it just depth of the case that is different. Only reason I was asking is that the middle atlantic rack kit was the same for the 4520 and 7200 and was hoping that down the road if I ever did have to scratch this itch that it would fit the same plate.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding the 39.2 lbs weight, according to Gene:

"The user manual states it weighs a whopping 51.4lbs despite the website error showing 39lbs. we confirmed with Denon at CES the correct weight is stated in the user manual."
Good catch. Yeah, always trust user manual over website. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What does the 260W refer to on the sticker (near the 13.2ch)?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good catch. Yeah, always trust user manual over website. :D
Thanks to Gene's article, whoever wrote the part that compared the 8500 and the 6400 was the one who caught it. I only googled the manual (not on the US Denon website yet) to see it for myself after reading the article.

Last edited:
Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
I noticed that the new Marantz flagship model SR-8012 uses a toroidal power supply. And the new Denon flagship model AVR-x8500h uses a different type of power supply? Does this really matter? or does one type of power supply have any advantages over another?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I noticed that the new Marantz flagship model SR-8012 uses a toroidal power supply. And the new Denon flagship model AVR-x8500h uses a different type of power supply? Does this really matter? or does one type of power supply have any advantages over another?
Both types have theoretical pros and cons. For much larger transformers especially in high voltage/utilities applications I have never seen the toroidal designed used. Toroidal does have one big advantage that can be attractive in audio gear, that is, lower weight to power ratio. Everything else being equal, the more efficient toroidal is better. To summarize, theoretically:

Efficiency & weight - Toroidal type >
Magnetic field induced hum in the audio path - Toroidal type >
Prone to core saturation as related to DC offset/core air gap - EI frame type>

If designed well, the "cons" listed above can be reduced to eliminate any audible effects. For example, my Bryston (2 separate toroids) hums louder than any of my AVRs and my other amps (Adcom, Anthem, Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio) hums as quiet as any of my Denon AVRs. I have also heard one of Anthem's top model amp, forgot the number years ago at the dealer, that hummed loudly. I could hear it from two feet away and can still remember that vividly. If you look at the layout of this big Denon, you can see they succeeded in giving the transformer space around it. It also has the typical kind of copper shielding used in the higher end audio power supply transformers. I fully expect this unit will not hum any louder than the Marantz.

Both types of transformers can be found in super high end audio amps. For further understanding, I highly recommend THIS article, the writer did a great job explaining a technical topic in easy to understand language.

The 51.6 vs the SR8012's 39 lbs probably has something to do with the use of the non toroidal type, in addition to the fact that it is a more powerful (higher VA rating) one, plus two more amps channels.

M

MEGALADON

Enthusiast
Never Again! Bought into the AVP-A1HDCI with matching Separate Power Supply Hailed to be Revolutionary.
Unit has been retired and was suppose to be upgradeable so called "Future Proof"

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is the daftest product I have heard of in many a long day. Putting all that gear, especially the power amps in one case and running the weight up to 51 lb is the height of idiocy. It is long passed time to phase out receivers.

My advice is to avoid that unit like the plague.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is the daftest product I have heard of in many a long day. Putting all that gear, especially the power amps in one case and running the weight up to 51 lb is the height of idiocy. It is long passed time to phase out receivers.

My advice is to avoid that unit like the plague.
And just go the pre-amp/amp route to make you happy? How about we listen to what you call music, too? Good grief. We should all build pipe TL speakers, too.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I only took a cursory glance at both specs for those new DENON / MARANTz units, I'd need to buy an amplifier to complete the system?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I only took a cursory glance at both specs for those new DENON / MARANTz units, I'd need to buy an amplifier to complete the system?
The receivers have built-in amps....perhaps you'd need additional amps if you wanted to max out processor capbilities, tho.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
No it has 13 internal amplifiers and 13 channels of processing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis