Denon AVR-X8500H World's First 13.2CH AV Receiver

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Only in multichannel stereo. Read the Dolby Atmos specifications white paper, it states that EACH channel, not combined, must be capable of a peak of 105dB, this includes both speaker and amplifier headroom, obviously this is at reference levels.
Are you talking in circular logic now:D? Yes I know Dolby specified each channel but please re-read what you said in your post and let me quote again below:

Even 13ch stereo wouldn't stress it, since each additional speaker adds 3dB you'd just turn it lower.

I have serious doubts about the ability for a single AVR to handle 13ch simultaneously at near reference volume.
I would doubt that too, but who said a single AVR must handle 13 channel simultaneously (individually, yes as agreed) at near reference level? I really don't think such and animal exist yet!! Denon claimed being first for an AVR to have 13 discrete channels, but no sign of any certification.

Secondly, it's not hard to meet or exceed a 100w requirement if you actually do play back movie at or near reference levels. Even with a relatively decent sensitivity of 91dB, 100w equates to about 101dB at 3m. 0dBfs peaks, though brief in duration, occur quite regularly in many action movies, as I've demonstrated before.

Testing for Rms voltage during music playback doesn't translate to the headroom required during movies, even music with a large dynamic range is often limited to only 10dB, whereas movies require 20dB of dynamic headroom.
That sounds agreeable, and I didn't see any opposing views on this thread so far, or did I miss something?

This doesn't mean an AVR absolutely has to be capable of 100w into 13 channels simultaneously, but it does mean at least some external amplification will be necessary.
Why, you seem to be saying something different before and after the comma? For real world SPL requirements, it depends on room size and sitting distance too right? In a small to medium (THX standard) size room, sitting 10-12 feet, you don't need much to achieve 85 dB average and 20 dB for dynamic levels. Does the Atmos white paper specifies 85 dB like THX, or less, and does it really say all 13 speakers have to be producing the same SPL as if each is in the room by itself and yet all must be still driven to that same point simultaneously in the same room? If so, then the SPL will be much higher than if only one is in the room, that, I thought was the point you made in your post#54.

If you are going to respond to this point, please quote your source and post a link if you don't mind.

Even if you use a 20a circuit, unless it's fit with a 20 ac plug and receptacle, under UL rules, it's still limited to 15a.
If the work was done by a licensed electrician who follow all the rules, it would have the proper 20A receptacle (it even looks different than the 15A one). 20A is obviously just an example, if one expects his/her amp to do 100WX13 simultaneously all day long, and still allow for 20 dB dynamic, may as well get a 100A circuit (a rack full of proamps) implied...:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually I bet this receiver doesn't run extremely hot during steadystate since it likely has a very low Class A bias. My Yamaha RX-Z7 on the the other hand is a space heater. Back when there were only 7 channels in a receiver, "audiophile" still had a bit of focus to these products ; )
It may in fact be very low, but I am not sure if they would necessarily have lowered the bias relative to their earlier models. The newer Denon models, including the 8500, appear to have two fans and that surely wold go a long way in keeping things not overly warm for normal use.

Interestingly, the power consumption spec is 900W vs the X7200WA and the latest Marantz SR8012's 780 W, sort of in proportion with 2 added channel, so I think the 8500 would likely do better on the bench in two channel power output. We don't know exactly how D&M based the power consumption figures on, but it seems fair to compare those figures between their top end AVRs, not meaningful in absolute sense, but probably apple to apple none the less.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Actually I bet this receiver doesn't run extremely hot during steadystate since it likely has a very low Class A bias. My Yamaha RX-Z7 on the the other hand is a space heater. Back when there were only 7 channels in a receiver, "audiophile" still had a bit of focus to these products ; )
I see what you did there. ;)

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Any reports on if it's true the Denon AVR-X8500H will not process wide channels unless the Atmos track specifically includes them? I thought for the outrageous asking price of this AVR, you could install 9 surround channels with wides between the front and side speakers along with 4 channels above for Atmos and have all speakers do their job whether there is discreet front wide channel support in the stream or not.

The reason I ask this is because the folks over at the AVS Forum owners thread for this AVR claim that to be the case and are very upset about it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis