Denon AVR 1612 surround back outputs as pre amp?

B

Brian Eaton

Audiophyte
I am wondering if I can use the surround back/front height channel pre amp outputs on my Denon AVR 1612 receiver as pre amp outputs to connect a power amp for a 2 channel system. (Basically trying to bypass the internal amplification in hope of improved sound quality).

In addition I would have to set the surround output format to "multi channel stereo".

I imagine this would work? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Brian

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Overlord
Ratings
3,546 16 36
Conceivably but don't know why you think that an external amp will necessarily have anything but more power....not particularly a sound quality issue unless you are exceeding the avr's amp's capabilities now. What speakers are you using?

B

Brian Eaton

Audiophyte
Conceivably but don't know why you think that an external amp will necessarily have anything but more power....not particularly a sound quality issue unless you are exceeding the avr's amp's capabilities now. What speakers are you using?
The speakers I'm using now are Polk Audio TSI-100s. The Denon has had no problem powering these speakers for the past few years, but recently I saw a used PS Audio 200c and was considering picking it up to keep as a nice power amplifier to use in a future more sophisticated setup. (hopefully much higher end speakers and processing)

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis
  • CEDIA