Denon AVR 1612 surround back outputs as pre amp?

Discussion in 'Amps, AV Pre-Pros & Receivers' started by Brian Eaton, Jan 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM.

1. Brian Eaton Audiophyte

Brian Eaton
    I am wondering if I can use the surround back/front height channel pre amp outputs on my Denon AVR 1612 receiver as pre amp outputs to connect a power amp for a 2 channel system. (Basically trying to bypass the internal amplification in hope of improved sound quality).

In addition I would have to set the surround output format to "multi channel stereo".

I imagine this would work? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you,
    Brian
  2. lovinthehd Audioholic Warlord

lovinthehd
    Conceivably but don't know why you think that an external amp will necessarily have anything but more power....not particularly a sound quality issue unless you are exceeding the avr's amp's capabilities now. What speakers are you using?
  3. Brian Eaton Audiophyte

Brian Eaton
    The speakers I'm using now are Polk Audio TSI-100s. The Denon has had no problem powering these speakers for the past few years, but recently I saw a used PS Audio 200c and was considering picking it up to keep as a nice power amplifier to use in a future more sophisticated setup. (hopefully much higher end speakers and processing)