Powering height speakers challenge

E

EBW2023

Audiophyte
I have a 5.2 setup and would like to upgrade to a receiver with HDMI 2.1 outputs and Dolby Atmos so I add 2 front and 2 rear height speakers. My current system is an Integra DHC-80.3 AV processor (HDMI 2.0 outputs), a two channel Bryston 4B ST amp (250 watts per channel) and a three channel Bryston 5B ST amp (120 watts per channel) that drive the front, center, and surround channels, and two HSU ULS-15 powered subwoofers. My front speakers are Dunleavy Aletha tower speakers (30Hz - 20 kHz), center is a Dunleavy SM 1 (60Hz - 20Khz), and surrounds are Krell Resolution 3 speakers (45Hz - 22kHz)

I have two goals - upgrade to HDMI 2.1 to benefit from the new sound technology like Dolby Atmos and continue to use my two Bryston amps. I could achieve my first goal of adding Dolby Atmos and height speakers by using a receiver like the Denon AVR X4700H 125 watts per channel to drive all the speakers. However, although my current speakers are efficient I'm concerned that the Denon cannot deliver the power the Bryston amps can. Plus, I don't want make my Brystons paper weights.

My second goal is to continue using the two Brystons amps to drive the front, center, and surround speakers. The question is how do I do that and drive the 4 height speakers? I considered using the pre-outs from a receiver such as the Denon 4700H to send sound to the Brystons. The issue is that in pre-out mode the Denon's amplifier section is disengaged so I still have to find an external 4 channel amp to drive the front and rear height speakers. It seems that I have two options. 1> Use the Denon pre-outs to my Brystons and get a 4 channel amp for the height speakers. Is this an effective or efficient option? If so, what is a reasonably priced 4 channel amp? 2> Find an AV receiver that would let me pre-out the front, center, and surrounds channels to the Brystons, and use its amplifier section to drive the 4 height speakers. Are there any reasonably priced AV receivers that would let me do that? Any other options?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a 5.2 setup and would like to upgrade to a receiver with HDMI 2.1 outputs and Dolby Atmos so I add 2 front and 2 rear height speakers. My current system is an Integra DHC-80.3 AV processor (HDMI 2.0 outputs), a two channel Bryston 4B ST amp (250 watts per channel) and a three channel Bryston 5B ST amp (120 watts per channel) that drive the front, center, and surround channels, and two HSU ULS-15 powered subwoofers. My front speakers are Dunleavy Aletha tower speakers (30Hz - 20 kHz), center is a Dunleavy SM 1 (60Hz - 20Khz), and surrounds are Krell Resolution 3 speakers (45Hz - 22kHz)

I have two goals - upgrade to HDMI 2.1 to benefit from the new sound technology like Dolby Atmos and continue to use my two Bryston amps. I could achieve my first goal of adding Dolby Atmos and height speakers by using a receiver like the Denon AVR X4700H 125 watts per channel to drive all the speakers. However, although my current speakers are efficient I'm concerned that the Denon cannot deliver the power the Bryston amps can. Plus, I don't want make my Brystons paper weights.

My second goal is to continue using the two Brystons amps to drive the front, center, and surround speakers. The question is how do I do that and drive the 4 height speakers? I considered using the pre-outs from a receiver such as the Denon 4700H to send sound to the Brystons. The issue is that in pre-out mode the Denon's amplifier section is disengaged so I still have to find an external 4 channel amp to drive the front and rear height speakers. It seems that I have two options. 1> Use the Denon pre-outs to my Brystons and get a 4 channel amp for the height speakers. Is this an effective or efficient option? If so, what is a reasonably priced 4 channel amp? 2> Find an AV receiver that would let me pre-out the front, center, and surrounds channels to the Brystons, and use its amplifier section to drive the 4 height speakers. Are there any reasonably priced AV receivers that would let me do that? Any other options?
You probably will do better with a couple of two channel amps. I use 9 two channel amps to power my system. I would look at Crown Amps.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
4 channel amps not too common, depending on how much power you are looking for. I am using a 5ch amp for mine. Otherwise, two two channel amps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are over-thinking the pre-amp mode on the Denon. Pre-outs are always live, you could still use the internal amps for surrounds (or add external amps). The dedicated pre-amp mode does have a slight advantage in that distortion is lower at a slightly higher pre-out voltage level, but does not make the pre-outs unusable in general in the other amp-assign modes.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You are over-thinking the pre-amp mode on the Denon. Pre-outs are always live, you could still use the internal amps for surrounds (or add external amps). The dedicated pre-amp mode does have a slight advantage in that distortion is lower at a slightly higher pre-out voltage level, but does not make the pre-outs unusable in general in the other amp-assign modes.
Yep, they would normally always be active. I have only seen a few AVRs that allow the internal amps to be shut off, but not the preouts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is likely true, I think I have only seen one or two models that even allow disabling the preouts. They would normally always be active.
In the dedicated pre-amp mode you don't get to use the internal amps is his situation, I only mention pre-outs being live in other modes in case he doesn't realize it (and agree this is more the norm too). There's been much fuss about the slightly better measurements at higher voltage you get in the dedicated pre-amp mode as it turns some of the amp circuitry off.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Upgrading your setup to incorporate HDMI 2.1 outputs and Dolby Atmos while utilizing your existing Bryston amps can be achieved through a few different options. Here are some suggestions:

Option 1: Utilize Denon AVR X4700H Pre-Outs and an External 4-Channel Amp: You can use the Denon AVR X4700H's pre-outs to connect to your Bryston amps for driving the front, center, and surround speakers. Simultaneously, you can invest in a reasonably priced 4-channel external amp best review to power the 4 height speakers. This option allows you to retain the power capabilities of your Bryston amps and enjoy the benefits of Dolby Atmos. Look for reputable brands like Emotiva, Outlaw Audio, or Monoprice for reasonably priced 4-channel amps.
Jonny Cab bot posts!! TWO of them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis