Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is he talking about? Bridging the amp would guarantee its balanced from input to output! Also giving this amp a 5/5 for value is a bit too kind IMO. It's a great amp but on the pricey side for sure.
Yeah, I noticed that too.

When I read that part (NOT FULLY BALANCED), I thought, "Man, Gene is not going to like that!":D

I think Home Theater Mag is going DOWNHILL.

I recall Audioholics Lab getting BETTER measurements than that on the AVP/POA Combo?

Y

yshostak

Audiophyte
Sound quality issues with AVP-A1HDCI

I'm wondering if anybody experienced sound quality issues with their AVP after the recent (especially initial) firmware updates (DenonLink 4). My AVP now seems to sound thinner, not transparent, with high frequency noise/distortions. It seems to be the issue with different sources/inputs, different outputs, and in Pure Direct mode as well. Any suggestions?

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
I didn't have any issues with mine , so far , works fine.
I did the dl4 update the moment it was released.Some 2 months .
No problem here.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
  • simultaneous Audyssey calibration of all 3 sub channels (its usually preferable and beneficial to apply one correction curve to all subs)

You know you can do that. The way I do it with two is:

Assign:
Sub 1 = sub 1
sub 2 = sub 1

so you assign sub 2 as sub 1 also and they both run lfe simutanoesly. I run my system as 7.1 but have 2 subs and coming on the same time.

If you want to run a third all you have to do is :
Sub 3 = Sub 1 also.

L

Laurent B.

Audiophyte
Hi there,

A long time ago (june 2008), we listed firmware issues of AVP-A1HD and AVC-A1HD (link to the discussion). Then Gene submitted them to Denon.
Some issues have been solved, but some are still here, more than 1 year later!

One of them is :

Receiver continues to display album art image with screen saver turned on and active.
I made a video that explains the issue : it is here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za6hRPKwz3g

I have contacted Denon France 2 weeks ago about this issue, unfortunately they havrn’t replied to my email.

May anybody here could contact Denon USA and link them the video?

Thank you very very much.

Denony

Last edited:
Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
  • simultaneous Audyssey calibration of all 3 sub channels (its usually preferable and beneficial to apply one correction curve to all subs)

You know you can do that. The way I do it with two is:

Assign:
Sub 1 = sub 1
sub 2 = sub 1

so you assign sub 2 as sub 1 also and they both run lfe simutanoesly. I run my system as 7.1 but have 2 subs and coming on the same time.

If you want to run a third all you have to do is :
Sub 3 = Sub 1 also.
Hi Gene did you end up trying it that way??

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Kinda. I grouped 2 of my subs to sub 1 and 2 of my subs to sub 2 and ran Audyssey. I got good results. I plan on running my towers fullrange next instead of treating the bass portions as dedicated subs to see how far I can take it. I really like the sound of the RBH T30s run full range, explosive articulate bass.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Kinda. I grouped 2 of my subs to sub 1 and 2 of my subs to sub 2 and ran Audyssey. I got good results. I plan on running my towers fullrange next instead of treating the bass portions as dedicated subs to see how far I can take it. I really like the sound of the RBH T30s run full range, explosive articulate bass.
Would you say that's a better way than mix ? I was told there was delay issues doing it that way but could not see how.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Does anyone here use Windows Media Player 12 to stream music?

I recently got myself a new PC that uses Windows 7 and came with WMP 12. I got WMP 12 to recognize my AVP right away and streaming music was super easy. But there's a flipide to this, as even though it's streaming my music it doesn't seem like it's doing it correctly.

When I stream a WAV file my AVP's front panel display shows is coming in as an MP3 (MP3 and Digital indicators light up). The PCM and Digital indicators are the ones that it should be showing, not MP3! And when I stream WMA Lossless it shows up as PCM! Everything was correct when I was using WMP 11 (Windows XP) and WAV's displayed on the AVP as PCM and WMA Lossless as WMA.

Does anyone here use WMP 12 to stream music? And if so are you experiencing the same thing? Is WMP 12 transcoding from WAV to MP3? If so I need to find out how to correct this. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Seth

R

ruxperienced

Audiophyte
Strange item in "internet radio" menu

Hi to all,
I apologize for my english but it's not my language.
Last saturday I noticed that in the internet radio menu of my AVP there'a an item strangely named "ID# 0005CD195EA4". It has on the left side the green icon (with the music note inside) as a web radio or a music file. It's an empty link and I can't delete it. I'm almost sure I never seen it before. What can be happened? Have you any idea?
Thx.

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
Avp Upgrade

Hi guys merry christmas.
Gene do you have any idea if denon is going to do an upgrade on avp , as for audyssey dsx, dolby prologic iix, hdmi 1,4 and so on.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I already asked via email and got no reply. I think they are at the NAAM show now. I don't believe this upgrade is possible without a hardware update but I may be wrong. I will let you know.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Thanks Gene.:) Maybe once they return from the NAAM show they will respond to your e-mail and shed some light on any possible plans for the AVP. And you're probably right that for things other than just DSX and PLIIz, a hardware upgrade will be needed.

If Denon were to make a hardware upgrade available for the AVP that included a new video board, upgraded DAC's, new video processor/scaler (ABT?), and HDMI 1.4, and was priced at or around $2000, I'd go for it. And I'm sure that many other AVP owners would as well.

As it stands right now, the AVP is still the most "complete" processor available. But to stay ahead of the pack in say a year, some upgrades will be needed to keep it technologically current with the most recent AVR's.

Will be very interesting to see if Denon has any upgrade plans. But as it stands, I have to say I am loving my AVP!:)

Seth

S

Spizz

Audiophyte
If Denon were to make a hardware upgrade available for the AVP that included a new video board, upgraded DAC's, new video processor/scaler (ABT?), and HDMI 1.4, and was priced at or around $2000, I'd go for it. And I'm sure that many other AVP owners would as well.
Add me as well to that.

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
I already asked via email and got no reply. I think they are at the NAAM show now. I don't believe this upgrade is possible without a hardware update but I may be wrong. I will let you know.
Why gene? i mean why without hardware ? That would be needed for a new video proccesor , but if it stays the way it is and update only for the extra channels of audyssey or prologic iiz , i think it wouldn;t require hardware.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Why gene? i mean why without hardware ? That would be needed for a new video proccesor , but if it stays the way it is and update only for the extra channels of audyssey or prologic iiz , i think it wouldn;t require hardware.
Isnt the 3310 getting the firmware upgreade for the DSX? I cant see why it cant happen for us.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis