Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Yep. Those are the ones to report to the mods so that they can ban them and remove their posts.
Thanks Adam for the confirmation. Now I know what a spammer looks like. ;)

* By the way Adam, around 1.00 a.m. this morning, I reported this guy 9 times from 8 different threads, in 9 minutes, because you have to wait 1 minute each time before you can report another time.
If it was not for that, he would have been nailed from all these threads, in less than 1 minute, perhaps 30 seconds (pretty fast index, isn't it :D).

[I got to regain my composure]

*Composure*: from com'e' (calm, orgasm), pos (post, flag, golf, greens, chicklets), sure (certain, o'course). :) :D

R

RIK2

Audiophyte
AVP and Bass Management

I'm a new APV / POA Owner and I've a question about how the AVP manages the bass.

I want to connect the CD player in analog (XLR) in (pure) direct mode and I want a full analog path (without any AD / DA additional conversion cycle within AVP).

The only issue is that I need to use L&R subwoofers (in the 2ch Direct Stero menu), since my main speakers have 2 x 25cm woofers each of them to be filtered with an active crossover and driven with a power amplifier. So, basically I configure the AVP to have 3 subs (L+R+LFE) and I connect the L&R speakers to SW2 and SW3 AVp outputs.

When I listen 2ch in (pure) direct mode, in analog, the AL24 indicator switch off on the AVP only if I do not use subwoofers.

Any help on this?

thx in advance for your support.

G

greynolds

Audiophyte
Gene - if you could pass this feature request on to your contacts at Denon, it would be appreciated.

I'd like to have the ability to assign the balanced input to the PHONO input so that I could assign my external phono preamp that has balanced outputs to the PHONO input and use the CD input for something more appropriate. As things are now, the PHONO input is useless to anyone without a MM cartridge - even then a non trivial number of turntable users will probably still want to use an external phono preamp.

Thanks.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm a new APV / POA Owner and I've a question about how the AVP manages the bass.

I want to connect the CD player in analog (XLR) in (pure) direct mode and I want a full analog path (without any AD / DA additional conversion cycle within AVP).

The only issue is that I need to use L&R subwoofers (in the 2ch Direct Stero menu), since my main speakers have 2 x 25cm woofers each of them to be filtered with an active crossover and driven with a power amplifier. So, basically I configure the AVP to have 3 subs (L+R+LFE) and I connect the L&R speakers to SW2 and SW3 AVp outputs.

When I listen 2ch in (pure) direct mode, in analog, the AL24 indicator switch off on the AVP only if I do not use subwoofers.

Any help on this?

thx in advance for your support.
Unfortunately when you use the 3 sub L/R/LFE sub mode, your LFE sub will NOT reproduce bass for 2CH sources. Not sure if thats important to you or not but when placing multi subs in a room, you usually want all of them active and playing the same signal all the time to achieve the full benefits of modal averaging multi subs provide.

Engaging "direct" mode will bypass the ADC to DAC stage for the main channels while also allowing subwoofer output.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene - if you could pass this feature request on to your contacts at Denon, it would be appreciated.

I'd like to have the ability to assign the balanced input to the PHONO input so that I could assign my external phono preamp that has balanced outputs to the PHONO input and use the CD input for something more appropriate. As things are now, the PHONO input is useless to anyone without a MM cartridge - even then a non trivial number of turntable users will probably still want to use an external phono preamp.

Thanks.
Hmm not sure if you can reassign the balanced ins for phono. I will inquire.

R

RIK2

Audiophyte
Unfortunately when you use the 3 sub L/R/LFE sub mode, your LFE sub will NOT reproduce bass for 2CH sources. Not sure if thats important to you or not but when placing multi subs in a room, you usually want all of them active and playing the same signal all the time to achieve the full benefits of modal averaging multi subs provide.

Engaging "direct" mode will bypass the ADC to DAC stage for the main channels while also allowing subwoofer output.
Thx Gene. Let me better explain this.

As per instructions from the AVP manual, If I'm in Direct mode and I activate subs (defined in the HT menu as 3 LFE+L+R), the 3 lights for the 3 subs light on (together with L&R channels indicators and the AL24 light is on) and the sound is properly reproduced by L, R, SW2 & SW3, as expected. The SW1 remanins off always (as per the AVP manual). This is exactly what I want.

My question is only if the AVP angage (also if the mode is Direct or pure Direct), an additional AD / DA conversion for the SW2 & SW3. This is the real point that it is crucial to me and it is not clarified by the manual.

Consider that if in the 2ch Direct I specify I do not want the Sub(s), the AL24light goes off (so this should be a warranty that no AD / DA conversion is performed at all).

thx in advance for your precious advice.

Last edited:
R

RIK2

Audiophyte
Thx Gene. Let me better explain this.

As per instructions from the AVP manual, If I'm in Direct mode and I activate subs (defined in the HT menu as 3 LFE+L+R), the 3 lights for the 3 subs light on (together with L&R channels indicators and the AL24 light is on) and the sound is properly reproduced by L, R, SW2 & SW3, as expected. The SW1 remanins off always (as per the AVP manual). This is exactly what I want.

My question is only if the AVP angage (also if the mode is Direct or pure Direct), an additional AD / DA conversion for the SW2 & SW3. This is the real point that it is crucial to me and it is not clarified by the manual.

Consider that if in the 2ch Direct I specify I do not want the Sub(s), the AL24light goes off (so this should be a warranty that no AD / DA conversion is performed at all).

thx in advance for your precious advice.

Gene, jsut to be fully clear. My perception is that L&R are direct without any AD / DA additional conversion, while the SW2 & SW3 to work need to be processed by the DSP and the AVP perform a AD / DA conversion to low pass the signal for subwoofers. Am I correct?

cheers.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, jsut to be fully clear. My perception is that L&R are direct without any AD / DA additional conversion, while the SW2 & SW3 to work need to be processed by the DSP and the AVP perform a AD / DA conversion to low pass the signal for subwoofers. Am I correct?

cheers.
2CH Direct is a pure analog bypass for the main channels but with simultaneous parallel ADC to D/A coversion for the sub channels. From my tests, the only time the AVP would convert an analog signal to digital for the main channels was if you use bass management or engage in a DSP mode.

R

RIK2

Audiophyte
2CH Direct is a pure analog bypass for the main channels but with simultaneous parallel ADC to D/A coversion for the sub channels. From my tests, the only time the AVP would convert an analog signal to digital for the main channels was if you use bass management or engage in a DSP mode.
ok, now it's fully clear to me. the mail L&R are just bypassed, wile the subs signals are processed (low passed in digital and then recoverted in analog), since the AVPdoes not have analog crossovers.

So, If I want to manage my Main L&R speakers that incorporate subs, completely in analog, I should use external analog corossover and the AVP will see the speaker as a whole (tweeter, midrange and woofers).

Am I correct?

G

greynolds

Audiophyte
Hmm not sure if you can reassign the balanced ins for phono. I will inquire.
It definitely isn't a current feature - as of right now the balanced ins can only be used on the CD input. Not sure if this was clear, but I'm not asking for the balanced ins to be routed through the phono preamp itself, just the ability to optionally assign them to the PHONO input so an external phono preamp with balanced outputs can be used without using up the CD input.

As of the latest firmware version, the CD input has the following Assign selections available in the web setup:

HDMI (HDMI1 HDMI2 HDMI3 HDMI4 HDMI5 HDMI6 NONE)
Digital (COAX1 COAX2 COAX3 COAX4 OPT1 OPT2 OPT3 OPT4 OPT5 DLINK BNC1 BNC2 NONE)
Analog (RCA XLR XLR(INV))
iPod (Assign None)
SIRIUS (Assign None)

Most other inputs have the following Assign selections available:

HDMI (HDMI1 HDMI2 HDMI3 HDMI4 HDMI5 HDMI6 NONE)
Component (NONE 1-RCA 2-RCA 3-RCA 4-RCA 5-RCA 6-BNC)
Digital (COAX1 COAX2 COAX3 COAX4 OPT1 OPT2 OPT3 OPT4 OPT5 DLINK BNC1 BNC2 NONE)
iPod (Assign None)
SIRIUS (Assign None)

The Phono input has no Assign selections available.

It would be really nice if Denon would add the Component selection options to the CD input and at least the Analog (RCA XLR XLR(INV)) selection options to the PHONO input (and why not add the other Assign options to the PHONO input too while they're at it?). One could make an argument for adding the Analog selection options to the other inputs too. Making these changes would make the configuration much more flexible.

Thanks for listening.

L

larryy

Audiophyte
unsolvable web interface problem

I've had my AVP for just over a month now, and completely love it. It replaced an excellent sounding, but buggy Krell HTS, and the Denon is better in every way.

However, I have one problem that doesn't seem to be resolvable either by consulting web resources (including avsforum and here) or by talking to Denon technical support. So my last hope is that Gene will have some magical way to escalate this to the right people for an answer. (I wouldn't be surprised if it required communicating with Denon Japan.)

I can provide more detail, but, basically, because I need to have a mix of static and dynamic IP addresses, from different class C subnets, on my home LAN, I am unable to use the AVP's web interface from computers on one subnet or the other. Even though these machines, including the AVP, are all on my home network, if I give the AVP a static IP address, from that subnet, the computers using dynamic, DHCP-provided addresses cannot access the AVP. Conversely, if I let the AVP get its address dynamically, from the other subnet, then the computers using static IP addresses cannot access the AVP. And it is particularly unfortunate that of the two main computers I would like to use to access the AVP, one is on the dynamic subnet while the other is on the static subnet, so I really cannot win, no matter what I do.

The problem derives from the fact that the GoAhead HTTP server embedded in the AVP requires incoming connections from any subnet but its own to provide a username and password. I strongly suspect that if I could just provide this built-in username and password I could access the AVP from either subnet, and all would be well. But no one seems to know what this username and password are. (I'm not at all worried about security, as the AVP is not visible outside my LAN, since I normally have it set it up to use a dynamic, NAT-ed address from DHCP.)

I researched the GoAhead software a little bit and see that they've made it easy for companies to compile the software with their own username and password, but that it is blank by default. Since blanks do not work, it seems clear that Denon chose to define their own username and password. I would ever so very much like to find out what the username and password are, so I could actually make use of the web interface. If authorities at Denon would prefer not to make these public, I would be happy to commit to never revealing them to a soul if I could be told them in private. Or perhaps if the username and password are not forever fixed--maybe altered values can be placed in non-volatile RAM?--perhaps some kind engineer would be willing to log into my machine remotely and change the username and password for me. (I'd have to temporarily give it a static IP address for it to be publicly visible, but that's doable, at least for a short time.)

I'm sure this problem is rare. No one on the AVP thread on avsforum had ever heard of it. But other Denon threads over there have posts from people who have experienced the problem, so it's not *just* me. :eek:

Any hope?

R

RIK2

Audiophyte
Gene, I still have some doubts.

I believe that the following 2 statements should be true:

1) as long as ADVANCED AL24 is on we are doing D/A

2) I can't find a setting (i trued) where you have ADVANCED AL24 off and still have the sub working.

There is one possible way that they keep ADVANCED AL24 on if they are only doing AL24 for the sub channel but i kind of doubt that. If that is the case then how could we be sure about this?

The only time the AVP would convert an analog signal to digital for the main channels was if you use bass management or engage in a DSP mode?

how could we sure that it was NOT converting?

thanks in advance for your support and patience.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Denon AVP-A1HDCI Surround Processor and POA-A1HDCI Multichannel amplifier - Review.

* I thought that, this would be a very appropriate place to mention this link about the latest review from this extraordinary Audio/Video Combo.

@ http://www.hometheatermag.com/preampprocessors/denon_avp-a1hdci_surround_processor_and_poa-a1hdci_amplifier

:)
Thank you for sharing the review.:) This is definitely the appropriate place.;)

This combo really impressed the reviewer. And it's interesting that even after a year and a half after the AVP/POA's introduction, It's still more advanced than the competition.

Kudos to Denon on these two remarkable products that continue to set the standard.

Seth

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon AVP-A1HDCI Surround Processor and POA-A1HDCI Multichannel amplifier - Review.

* I thought that, this would be a very appropriate place to mention this link about the latest review from this extraordinary Audio/Video Combo.

@ http://www.hometheatermag.com/preamp...hdci_amplifier
While it isn’t a fully balanced design, the POA-A1HDCI still offers balanced inputs, and I ran the main and center channels bridged.
What is he talking about? Bridging the amp would guarantee its balanced from input to output! Also giving this amp a 5/5 for value is a bit too kind IMO. It's a great amp but on the pricey side for sure.

This combo really impressed the reviewer. And it's interesting that even after a year and a half after the AVP/POA's introduction, It's still more advanced than the competition.
Few if any processors on the market today, regardless of price, can touch this baby.

I do wish Denon would update the firmware to allow:

• simultaneous Audyssey calibration of all 3 sub channels (its usually preferable and beneficial to apply one correction curve to all subs)
  • ability to adjust HPF/LPF slopes
  • ability to run 3 sub Stereo L/R and LFE mode with LFE applied to all 3 subs

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys;

this may be old news to some but I just did a firmware update on my AVP last night.

I pinged Denon and here are the list of changes:

Latest firmware update (7/23/09) corrected:

Sound is not outputted when play a specific disc with "DVD-A1UD" which is connected to A/V amplifier with "DENON LINK 4th".

2) "EVANGELION: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE" (KIAX-9)
There is the case that a sound does not out right after started playback.

3) After main power off/on, Parameter check "DISTANCE" shows "SURR.BACK" speaker instead of "SUBWOOFER".

From 05/13/09:

Addition of
1-1. DENON Link 4th function
(When the power supply is turned on, "DENON LINK 4th" is displayed in FL).
1-2. The HDMI Assign function in CD Function is added.

2. Improvement of problem
2-1. AVP-A1HD cannot be correctly controlled from RC-7000CI/7001RCI.

2-2. Neither Dynamic EQ nor the parameter button work after executing an auto setup with external MIC
terminal V.AUX L.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Thank you for sharing the review.:) This is definitely the appropriate place.;)

Kudos to Denon on these two remarkable products that continue to set the standard.

Seth
Hi Seth,

I thought that you might like that one. :)
After all, you're the only one here that is still alive. ;)

Of course, this combo is still state-of-the-art. And I sure hope so for a cool $15,000 list.

Oh yeah, Denon can be really proud of themselves, as usual for many years now.
Lesse, from 1910, that's almost 100 years. :eek:
Yap, it's been a while.

Take good care Seth,
Bob

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
What is he talking about? Bridging the amp would guarantee its balanced from input to output! Also giving this amp a 5/5 for value is a bit too kind IMO. It's a great amp but on the pricey side for sure.

Few if any processors on the market today, regardless of price, can touch this baby.

I do wish Denon would update the firmware to allow:

• simultaneous Audyssey calibration of all 3 sub channels (its usually preferable and beneficial to apply one correction curve to all subs)
  • ability to adjust HPF/LPF slopes
  • ability to run 3 sub Stereo L/R and LFE mode with LFE applied to all 3 subs
Guys;

this may be old news to some but I just did a firmware update on my AVP last night.

I pinged Denon and here are the list of changes:

Latest firmware update (7/23/09) corrected:

Sound is not outputted when play a specific disc with "DVD-A1UD" which is connected to A/V amplifier with "DENON LINK 4th".

2) "EVANGELION: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE" (KIAX-9)
There is the case that a sound does not out right after started playback.

3) After main power off/on, Parameter check "DISTANCE" shows "SURR.BACK" speaker instead of "SUBWOOFER".

From 05/13/09:

Addition of
1-1. DENON Link 4th function
(When the power supply is turned on, "DENON LINK 4th" is displayed in FL).
1-2. The HDMI Assign function in CD Function is added.

2. Improvement of problem
2-1. AVP-A1HD cannot be correctly controlled from RC-7000CI/7001RCI.

2-2. Neither Dynamic EQ nor the parameter button work after executing an auto setup with external MIC
terminal V.AUX L.
Yeah I found his comment about the POA not being fully balanced a bit strange as well. As you said by bridging the amp it is most definitely fully balanced from input to output. Pretty much everything else he says about this combo (with the exception of giving the POA a 5/5 for value) is spot on.:)

I totally agree with you that few if any processors out there can match the AVP. I am totally loving mine! And come tomorrow I will be connecting an A1UDCI to my AVP. :) Here's hoping that goes smoothly.

Re the wish list of Denon AVP updates, hey you never know, they might just offer some future updates to address those things. I mean the AVP is still the company's flagship processor, so I see them wanting to keep current and future AVP owners happy.

Another cool addition would be Audyssey DSX. Whether this will happen or not is anyones guess though. But the AVP is definitely capable of supporting it.

And thanks for sharing the firmware update list.:)

Seth

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Hi Seth,

I thought that you might like that one. :)
After all, you're the only one here that is still alive. ;)

Of course, this combo is still state-of-the-art. And I sure hope so for a cool $15,000 list.

Oh yeah, Denon can be really proud of themselves, as usual for many years now.
Lesse, from 1910, that's almost 100 years. :eek:
Yap, it's been a while.

Take good care Seth,
Bob
Hi Bob,

Yup definitely state of the art.:) And here recently there has been quite a few posts from other people besides you and me. That's good to see, I hope it continues.:)

Seth

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi Bob,

Yup definitely state of the art.:) And here recently there has been quite a few posts from other people besides you and me. That's good to see, I hope it continues.:)

Seth
Hi Seth my good spritited friend, :)

Well, I was very glad to see Gene's couple previous posts here. :)
And also from some newer people into the scene. :)
That keeps my spirit up also. :)
And same as you, hopefully it's a renewed beginning. :)

Big Cheers, :):):)
Bob

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis