mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
When my adult son got covid early in the pandemic, it was entirely an intestinal situation for him. He said it was the worst thing he ever experienced, with diarrhea and vomiting for about 9 days. He essentially couldn't eat or drink anything for that time. It was the most miserable he'd ever been.
How much weight did he lose?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The new kid on he block. The KP.3.1.1 COVID-19 variant is the most prevalent strain at the national, regional and state level for the week ending on July 27, according to the CDC's Nowcast data tracker.

We have had 3 people in our neighborhood come down with Covid within 3 days of each other. The only key similarities, their yard man is the same person who also has COVID.
All reported:
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headache
  • Loss of taste or smell
  • Sore throat
Two have "recovered" but still feel worn out. The other still has some fatigue and headaches.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Do you know if the latest vaccine protects against this variant?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Do you know if the latest vaccine protects against this variant?
Hard to tell by reading everything I've read. IF you have been vaccinated before and have the latest vaccine for Covid, at least there is some protection . This new 3.1.1 from what I read is very contagious and from this article dated July 2024, there is not a vaccine yet for 3.1.1. IF I read it right.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I never had covid (at least that I know of). Anyway, if I'm going to get it, I'll get it now after back-and-forth packed flights from Jacksonville to Pittsburgh. Airports packed and flights totally filled actually overbooked. BTW I am vaccinated up to the current standards so we shall see.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I never had covid (at least that I know of). Anyway, if I'm going to get it, I'll get it now after back-and-forth packed flights from Jacksonville to Pittsburgh. Airports packed and flights totally filled actually overbooked. BTW I am vaccinated up to the current standards so we shall see.
Vaccination will not prevent you from getting infected but most likely greatly reduce the consequences of any infection. On the other hand the virus is adapting and we’re in an “arms race”.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, like I said we shall see. Got home yesterday and so far, so good.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, like I said we shall see. Got home yesterday and so far, so good.
Well if you are going to get it, a packed air plane recirculating air will do. Hope you get through the waiting period. Some say 3-14 days if you or could have been exposed. Hope not.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Eric Topol recently posted about the most recent COVID wave which appears to be the result of yet more mutations of the virus. This wave is the real deal "It’s a major wave now, with an estimated new 900,000 infections per day . . ."

1722899957091.png

One small piece of good news is that this wave is not resulting in as many severe cases of COVID, at least so far "Fortunately, the rise in levels of the virus. . . has not been linked with as much severe Covid (absolute increase) as was seen in prior waves . . ."

Here's what Topol says about the current vaccines:

>>>The new KP.2 boosters will not be ready until the first week of September. It isn’t clear about the timing of availability for the JN.1 shots from Novavax which the company announced at the June FDA meeting would be ready in August. Most likely all 3 will be rolled out the first week of September. The match up of KP.2 (vs KP.3.1.1) is clearly better than JN.1, but some people prefer Novavax with its less acute phase side effects.

That’s still more than month away. The XBB.1.5 (old) booster is available and it will increase protection, so if you’re worried about making a trip or being exposed, it’s a reasonable strategy to get it. While suboptimal, the added level of protection afforded from that booster is useful.

This is a very interesting blog post, but it's also somewhat disheartening because as Topol states: "The virus will not stop [mutating] here, despite our desire to will it way. It will continue to find new ways to infect and reinfect us, under selection pressure from our prior immunity (be it infections, vaccinations, or combinations)" yet no one is willing to seriously fund development of better vaccines and drugs, and the U.S. government is force-fitting the vaccine program into a once a year flu model, even though COVID has not demonstrated a once a year wave pattern.

As Topol states, evolution of the virus and waning immunity is not a good combination:

>>Added to problem of the virus‘s evolution and, as a result, is the blunting of our immune response, the big issue of waning immunity. The vaccine boosters only last 4-6 months for protection from severe Covid, do little after early weeks for any protection from infections or spread. The same goes for infections. Neutralizing antibody levels go down. Our interferon first line of defense gets blocked (Shane Crotty called this the “superpower of SARS-CoV-2” in our podcast this week). The virus evolves and, at the same time, our immune response wanes. That’s not a good combination.<<< (emphasis added)

I tried reading a couple articles on how the COVID virus blocks the interferon response of our immune system. It's fair to say my understanding of this topic is very limited, but I was amazed at how complex the the virus's attack on the interferon response is. My initial reaction was "Holy cr*p, it's a wonder this virus hasn't killed us all!"

Here's one article on the topic that incudes a summary of various blocking mechanisms:

>>>Here, we summarise the various mechanisms adopted by SARS-CoV-2 to impair IFN production.
Repression of activation of IFN coding genes . . .

Blocking recognition by the host . . .
Disrupting antiviral signaling pathways . . .

Post-transcriptional regulation of IFN production . . .
Interrupting mRNA splicing . . .
Blocking the mRNA nuclear export . . .
Repressing mRNA translation . . .
Targeting IFN-related transcripts by microRNAs and microRNA-like non-coding RNAs . . .<<<

If I understand it (which is doubtful) the big problem with all this is that it suppresses the production of @Swerd's favorite cells, the killer T cells, so the virus reproduces rapidly (someone seriously needs to name a band after them, it is certainly better than "Soft Cell").

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Vaccination will not prevent you from getting infected but most likely greatly reduce the consequences of any infection. On the other hand the virus is adapting and we’re in an “arms race”.
Once again.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Well if you are going to get it, a packed air plane recirculating air will do. Hope you get through the waiting period. Some say 3-14 days if you or could have been exposed. Hope not.
Like I said 2 days since I've been home from the return flight and 7 from the departing flight and so far, no symptoms.

C

carlosmiguez75

Enthusiast
I'm tired of this battle..

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
CPP must be a DR Death Fauci's assistant. A new variant just for the coming november . More Drop boxes Mail N ballots more cheating the libera way.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
CPP must be a DR Death Fauci's assistant. A new variant just for the coming november . More Drop boxes Mail N ballots more cheating the libera way.
Don't worry you can count on Trump to attempt another coup if he loses.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis