highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Overlord
Highfigh, all disagreements, rhetoric, politics, posturing, and stupidity aside, Your quote summarizes my feelings on COVID. Permission to use, put on a shirt?
Go nuts. If it takes off, I wouldn't mind a slice, though.

highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Overlord
That is exactly my question as well; Russian disinformation?
If Russia is behind any disinformation, it's because they have remembered Robert Heinlein's comment- "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity". Americans like to think they're special. They're special, alright- more than half of the country needs remedial reading lessons but that doesn't stop them from being some kind of freaking expert in areas they know nothing about.

Don't forget about disinformation coming from Washington, either.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Overlord
Right? One concept that's eluding people is this is the reason it is a pandemic. So many people are asymptomatic or have very little symptoms and are out and about spreading it. My nephew got it and was only tested because he is in the medical field. He said he never really felt bad. They tested is wife and she had it but was completely asymptomatic. They did their 15 day quarantine.

If you got it, went home because you're really sick, thus not spreading it, this most likely wouldn't be a pandemic. Ebola is the classic - you get it and you go home and die (~80%). There's very little chance of you spreading it.

Also, shuffled somewhere in all this news, Florida has beaten it recorded daily covid deaths four days in a row. I haven't looked today, maybe another new record today? Who's freedom are the protecting down there?
I have been off of work because of a foot problem since March (hasn't healed yet and if I can't walk or stand for long periods, I can't do that job) and I went in to do some work on part of my boat. While the shop manager & I talked about this, he said that the company has 86 employees at five locations, including the part time people, and not one case of COVID-19 and one guy was required to stay at home because his wife had come back from Italy right about the time they showed an early surge in cases.

I don't like the way the stats are being 'massaged'.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Audioholic Slumlord
Pressure is building in the UK for a challenge trial. Pressure is building from an organization called "Not One Day More". They have called for volunteers willing to receive the Oxford vaccine and after showing immunity being exposed to the virus by inhalation. 30,000 individuals volunteered already, to risk death for the common good.

This virus is really causing havoc and distress and widely likened to war. The virus now appears to be 10 times more infectious than previously and no less virulent. The dreadful legacy of permanent illness and disability is becoming more and more evident. Now two studies one from Italy and another from Germany show a high prevalence of permanent heart damage. The Italian study showed 47% and the German study using the more sensitive cardiac MRI showed it to be 87%.

The Red Sox pitcher Edwardo Rodriguez is now out for the season with myocarditis following Covid-19. I suspect his career is over.

A study published last Saturday in Jama, looked at the epidemiology of spread in communities with schools open versus closed. There was significantly more spread in the schools open communities. So likely children to spread. In fact it is now known that children over 10 get and spread the virus virtually the same as adults.

So in the UK at least this is being compare to war, especially as the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain approaches next month.

So now Professor Adrian Hill the head of the Oxford Jenner institute is now convinced that a challenge trial like Edward Jenner did in 1795 is justified. So he is seeking approval to vaccinate 40 consenting adults with the Oxford vaccine and after developing antibodies challenging them nasally with live virus. This is extraordinary as there is no truly effective treatment for this infection. It seems likely this will get official sanction very soon. If this is successful then widespread vaccinations could start in the very near future.

This infection is now regarded and confirmed as an infectious vasculitis. This makes it unique in infectious disease and very dangerous.

According to Professor Hill the phase 3 trials are just going to take too long, with too many lives lost, to say nothing of the long term disability to not seriously consider not doing this challenge trial. After thinking about this carefully I think this is an appropriate and ethical course of action given the current situation, and what is far more likely to be an absolutely ghastly situation as the second wave really takes hold this fall.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Ninja
Pressure is building in the UK for a challenge trial. Pressure is building from an organization called "Not One Day More". They have called for volunteers willing to receive the Oxford vaccine and after showing immunity being exposed to the virus by inhalation. 30,000 individuals volunteered already, to risk death for the common good.

This virus is really causing havoc and distress and widely likened to war. The virus now appears to be 10 times more infectious than previously and no less virulent. The dreadful legacy of permanent illness and disability is becoming more and more evident. Now two studies one from Italy and another from Germany show a high prevalence of permanent heart damage. The Italian study showed 47% and the German study using the more sensitive cardiac MRI showed it to be 87%.

The Red Sox pitcher Edwardo Rodriguez is now out for the season with myocarditis following Covid-19. I suspect his career is over.

A study published last Saturday in Jama, looked at the epidemiology of spread in communities with schools open versus closed. There was significantly more spread in the schools open communities. So likely children to spread. In fact it is now known that children over 10 get and spread the virus virtually the same as adults.

So in the UK at least this is being compare to war, especially as the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain approaches next month.

So now Professor Adrian Hill the head of the Oxford Jenner institute is now convinced that a challenge trial like Edward Jenner did in 1795 is justified. So he is seeking approval to vaccinate 40 consenting adults with the Oxford vaccine and after developing antibodies challenging them nasally with live virus. This is extraordinary as there is no truly effective treatment for this infection. It seems likely this will get official sanction very soon. If this is successful then widespread vaccinations could start in the very near future.

This infection is now regarded and confirmed as an infectious vasculitis. This makes it unique in infectious disease and very dangerous.

According to Professor Hill the phase 3 trials are just going to take too long, with too many lives lost, to say nothing of the long term disability to not seriously consider not doing this challenge trial. After thinking about this carefully I think this is an appropriate and ethical course of action given the current situation, and what is far more likely to be an absolutely ghastly situation as the second wave really takes hold this fall.
Thanks for the update praying that it goes well

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Spartan
You already know my opinion on this. A deliberate viral challenge, where the virus pathogen is known to sometimes be fatal, and when there is no known effective treatment, is unethical. I don't know about the UK, but no MD in the USA would risk his or her license to practice by participating in such a trial. And the FDA – without any doubt – would never allow a challenge trial to proceed, much less consider the results from such a trial.

It might be almost as fast to immunize volunteers where no direct virus challenge is needed – in California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, or Sturgis, South Dakota.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Audioholic Slumlord
You already know my opinion on this. A deliberate viral challenge, where the virus pathogen is known to sometimes be fatal, and when there is no known effective treatment, is unethical. I don't know about the UK, but no MD in the USA would risk his or her license to practice by participating in such a trial. And the FDA – without any doubt – would never allow a challenge trial to proceed, much less consider the results from such a trial.

It might be almost as fast to immunize volunteers where no direct virus challenge is needed – in California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, or Sturgis, South Dakota.
On the whole I agree, but this virus is doing a lot of damage., now and for the future. The Oxford group have applied for permission to do a challenge study as Prof. Hill feels doing large double blind studies is going to take too long under current circumstances. My feeling is that it will be granted and go ahead. The history of the UK gives it a very different perspective on all this. The view of the UK is that if the "few" went up in Hurricanes and Spitfires day after day, and if hundreds of local non uniformed, non combatants were prepared to take small defenseless craft into the jaws of Hell at Dunkirk to rescue its army, then this current generation do not want be found wanting from lack of similar courage. This attitude can be traced right back to the Spanish Armada.

I know the FDA's views on this, as I read their recent announcement in full. They are opposed.

The issue may well arise that if UK development leap frogs from a challenge study, and immunization goes full speed ahead in the UK and Europe in general, but not the US, how much pressure will build on the FDA then. I bet they will cave, or be forced to.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Chief
Quick update from my corner of the world...

It's been a pretty good week. The cough still comes and goes, but not severely. Still have almost no smell. Every so often I can catch a whiff of something, but then it's gone in an instant.

My coworker is recovering much slower than I did. After 3 weeks she still doesn't feel well enough to come back to work. But they only pay for the first 2 weeks... She's probably going to go on short-term disability until she recovers. :confused:

My stepdaughter had a successful and uneventful delivery Saturday 8/1 early AM. They tested the baby and his results were negative. They all came home Monday afternoon...

Just in time for Isaias to pass through Tuesday morning... knocking out their power for almost 2 days. Fortunately our House 2.0 didn't lose power so they had a place to spend a night with air conditioning and some creature comforts.

Welcome to 2020, Nathan. Sorry you picked the shittiest year in modern history to be born, but you won't remember any of this nonsense.

Now flex them pythons! Nate strong! Nate smash!
Nate.jpg

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis