computer experts: help pls

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
whenever I watch videos ... the picture is really dark. but when I reopen that same video while the first one is playing, the picture gets bright and fine.

what's wrong with my setup? video codec?

any links to combo video codecs?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
So wait... are you watching this on your PC? Or on your HTPC..?

What videos are you watching, are they in a browser?

I have found that all the codecs I need are included with a copy of Nero 7.

Otherwise I could check and find out what good codecs are out there...
let me know buddy...

Warp

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
on my PC, doesn't matter if using media player or VLC player ... mostly avi files

but the reopening to get a clear picture only works on the VLC player, because when you reopen using media player, it automatically closes the first video and then opens the second one ... which puts you back to square one with the dark picture.

if I use VLC player, it will run both vids at the same time, and the first one will clear up a bit when I open the second one, but the second one is a lot clearer. (this is for the same file)

I end up having to play my vid files twice and then exit the first one opened.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I get alot of responces on this one, but VLC Media Player seems like it has come up a few times....

otherwise...

Both Media Player Classic and VLC have several of the codecs built right into the application.
also
K-lite codec pack.

I think I would try to uninstall the VLC and re-install an updated version.

Seems according to my group that it has everything you need.

try that....

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
right. will try that, must be a bug with the VLC version ... thanks

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
VLC is really good.

Another good one is the Storm Codec, can play almost everything under the sun.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
While graphics/video is not my area of expertise it kind of sounds to me like the card is running out of colors in the color palette. It's just a guess but that would happen if you are using a low resolution and color bit depth.

What resolution and color bit depth are you using?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
1152 x 864 32 bit. Inno3d 7600 GS 512mb

I uninstalled the 0.85 version and installed a 0.86 VLC player ...
it had the same problem, but this time, there was no workaround, whenever you played the same file, it would close the first one and play the second one with still the dark pic ... I couldnt find an option that said "open files in new window" or something like that.

I started messing with something called "extended GUI", in the video menu, I just clicked am "enable" tick box, and everything went clear. when I close VLC, that tick box is not clicked anymore but the videos are clear already.

I'm just happy the vids are watchable - I just can't confirm if that's the best pic quality because I can't open a second vid window.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ive had this problem before. Anything in WMP would be really dark, I believe i had to go in and change some sort of video settings. It was hard to find. :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis