Someone PLEASE Help Me Understand Why This is Happening with my DP-UB9000...

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
If there's anyone here beyond member "Paris" (who originally helped me with questions about this Panasonic disc player but is seemingly not active on here any longer) who may have some knowledge of these Panasonic 4K UHD disc players, I appeal to you for some assistance with something that I just can't figure out or get my head around -- and regardless of who I have turned to about it so far (a list that includes a Panasonic "help" contact via email, regular forum members on sites such as this and even professional reviewers who have covered the Panasonic models for various online A/V hobbyist sites who could offer nothing but "I don't know why that is happening, quite honestly..."), no one seems to have any answers.

I have this premium flagship Panasonic 4K disc player connected to a Samsung NU8000 display via HDMI, with just about all the player's settings adjusted to "automatic." Originally, I was told that what the player was sending the Samsung in terms of color space, color depth and resolution was correct based on what the NU8000 could accept -- so when I played 4K Blu-rays, the Panasonic would send out "4K/24P YCbCr 4:2:2 12-Bit" when I checked the output data via the remote, and I was told this was correct because the Samsung couldn't support full 12-Bit 4K video in 4:4:4 format. Likewise, when I viewed regular 1080p Blu-rays upscaled by the player to 2160/4K resolution, the Panasonic read that it was sending out "4K/24P YCbCr 4:4:4 10-Bit" and, again, I was told this was right because the player was using its "Chroma Upsampling" feature to take the 4:2:0 signal from the disc and output 4:4:4 (a feature these Panasonics are known for). DVDs, which I still watch a lot of, were put out at something like its original "4:2:0 8-Bit" signal, I believe...

Now, with regard to settings in the PLAYER, I was leaving the following key adjustments set like this:

Resolution: Auto (This always sends 2160 to my panel, so that's okay.)
4K60P Output: (This is where things get weird, and I'll explain this in a little while; originally, when I set the player up, I got a message that would say "IF YOU CAN SEE THIS SCREEN, SELECT YES, OTHERWISE DO NOTHING..." and the unit chose "4K/60P 4:2:0" here, even if I tried to override it. I was told, once again, that this was correct because my Samsung does not support 4K/60P video with full 4:4:4 chroma.)
Color Mode: YCbCr (Auto) (I assume this is right, as I'm always getting some kind of YCbCr signal to the screen.)
Deep Color Output: Auto (12-Bit Priority) (Again, I assume this is right, as 12-Bit is what's "best" to take care of color banding and such, but there's an issue with this, too, which I will get to.)

Okay, so like I said above, when I originally set up the player, 4K Blu-rays were being sent out as "YCbCr 4:2:2 12-Bit" (based on the settings above) and regular Blu-rays as "YCbCr 4:4:4 10-Bit." I was told by multiple people, some of whom came with great credentials in the industry, that this was absolutely correct for my Samsung television. However, the other night, I decided to go into the "Quick Setup" menu, which does a kind of mini-reset of the settings, and when I was finished, the player was suddenly showing different readings and output data...

First, that 4K60P OUTPUT setting in the setup menu was suddenly reading "4K/60P 4:4:4," not 4:2:2 like before, and when I watched a 4K Blu-ray, Bad Boys for Life, the player's output data was reporting that, suddenly, the unit was sending "4K/24P YCbCr 4:4:4 12-Bit" -- NOT 4:2:2 12-Bit. I don't understand how this happened simply by going into the Quick Settings menu and starting over again, but perhaps what's worse, I don't understand why the player is choosing this output information if my display CAN'T SUPPORT 12-Bit 4:4:4 with 4K signals.

Here's the kicker about it all: My previous 4K UHD disc player, a Cambridge Audio CXUHD (which was basically a rebadged Oppo UDP-203), ALWAYS reported that it was sending 4:4:4 12-Bit signals to my display with 4K Blu-rays, but I was told that this was actually WRONG, and that it SHOULD have been sending 4:2:2 12-Bit with these discs. Now, all of a sudden, my new Panasonic is showing 12-Bit 4:4:4 with 4K Blu-rays, which isn't supposed to be correct, when just a couple of days ago it was sending 4:2:2 12-Bit.

Even stranger is that regular 1080p Blu-rays, as upscaled by the Panasonic, used to be passed as 4:4:4 10-Bit (because the player would use an advanced Chroma Upsampling feature for lower resolutions such as 1080, which would bring the chroma from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 -- so this made sense), but after I did the Quick Settings thing, these discs are now being sent out the same way as 4K Blu-rays -- that is, YCbCr 4:4:4 12-Bit...

This is the STRANGEST thing I've EVER experienced with a disc player; can ANYONE please assist me here, as I'm at my wits end? We paid $1K (U.S.) for this player, and it's utterly frustrating that it doesn't seem to be working right in terms of choosing what's right for my television. Is this an HDMI cable issue? I'm running a Monoprice Premium Certified 4K/HDR cable, one of the popular ones amongst enthusiasts, but I'm not sure if it's the culprit here; furthermore, my TV recently did an auto firmware update, so could this be playing into what's going on? Perhaps the TV is now telling the player that it CAN accept 12-Bit 4:4:4 with 4K signals? I didn't see anything about this when I Googled the firmware update number...

As I said, if anyone could help me with these matters, I would greatly appreciate it, as I can't seem to even get through to anyone at Panasonic who knows what they're talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If there's anyone here beyond member "Paris" (who originally helped me with questions about this Panasonic disc player but is seemingly not active on here any longer) who may have some knowledge of these Panasonic 4K UHD disc players, I appeal to you for some assistance with something that I just can't figure out or get my head around -- and regardless of who I have turned to about it so far (a list that includes a Panasonic "help" contact via email, regular forum members on sites such as this and even professional reviewers who have covered the Panasonic models for various online A/V hobbyist sites who could offer nothing but "I don't know why that is happening, quite honestly..."), no one seems to have any answers.

I have this premium flagship Panasonic 4K disc player connected to a Samsung NU8000 display via HDMI, with just about all the player's settings adjusted to "automatic." Originally, I was told that what the player was sending the Samsung in terms of color space, color depth and resolution was correct based on what the NU8000 could accept -- so when I played 4K Blu-rays, the Panasonic would send out "4K/24P YCbCr 4:2:2 12-Bit" when I checked the output data via the remote, and I was told this was correct because the Samsung couldn't support full 12-Bit 4K video in 4:4:4 format. Likewise, when I viewed regular 1080p Blu-rays upscaled by the player to 2160/4K resolution, the Panasonic read that it was sending out "4K/24P YCbCr 4:4:4 10-Bit" and, again, I was told this was right because the player was using its "Chroma Upsampling" feature to take the 4:2:0 signal from the disc and output 4:4:4 (a feature these Panasonics are known for). DVDs, which I still watch a lot of, were put out at something like its original "4:2:0 8-Bit" signal, I believe...

Now, with regard to settings in the PLAYER, I was leaving the following key adjustments set like this:

Resolution: Auto (This always sends 2160 to my panel, so that's okay.)
4K60P Output: (This is where things get weird, and I'll explain this in a little while; originally, when I set the player up, I got a message that would say "IF YOU CAN SEE THIS SCREEN, SELECT YES, OTHERWISE DO NOTHING..." and the unit chose "4K/60P 4:2:0" here, even if I tried to override it. I was told, once again, that this was correct because my Samsung does not support 4K/60P video with full 4:4:4 chroma.)
Color Mode: YCbCr (Auto) (I assume this is right, as I'm always getting some kind of YCbCr signal to the screen.)
Deep Color Output: Auto (12-Bit Priority) (Again, I assume this is right, as 12-Bit is what's "best" to take care of color banding and such, but there's an issue with this, too, which I will get to.)

Okay, so like I said above, when I originally set up the player, 4K Blu-rays were being sent out as "YCbCr 4:2:2 12-Bit" (based on the settings above) and regular Blu-rays as "YCbCr 4:4:4 10-Bit." I was told by multiple people, some of whom came with great credentials in the industry, that this was absolutely correct for my Samsung television. However, the other night, I decided to go into the "Quick Setup" menu, which does a kind of mini-reset of the settings, and when I was finished, the player was suddenly showing different readings and output data...

First, that 4K60P OUTPUT setting in the setup menu was suddenly reading "4K/60P 4:4:4," not 4:2:2 like before, and when I watched a 4K Blu-ray, Bad Boys for Life, the player's output data was reporting that, suddenly, the unit was sending "4K/24P YCbCr 4:4:4 12-Bit" -- NOT 4:2:2 12-Bit. I don't understand how this happened simply by going into the Quick Settings menu and starting over again, but perhaps what's worse, I don't understand why the player is choosing this output information if my display CAN'T SUPPORT 12-Bit 4:4:4 with 4K signals.

Here's the kicker about it all: My previous 4K UHD disc player, a Cambridge Audio CXUHD (which was basically a rebadged Oppo UDP-203), ALWAYS reported that it was sending 4:4:4 12-Bit signals to my display with 4K Blu-rays, but I was told that this was actually WRONG, and that it SHOULD have been sending 4:2:2 12-Bit with these discs. Now, all of a sudden, my new Panasonic is showing 12-Bit 4:4:4 with 4K Blu-rays, which isn't supposed to be correct, when just a couple of days ago it was sending 4:2:2 12-Bit.

Even stranger is that regular 1080p Blu-rays, as upscaled by the Panasonic, used to be passed as 4:4:4 10-Bit (because the player would use an advanced Chroma Upsampling feature for lower resolutions such as 1080, which would bring the chroma from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 -- so this made sense), but after I did the Quick Settings thing, these discs are now being sent out the same way as 4K Blu-rays -- that is, YCbCr 4:4:4 12-Bit...

This is the STRANGEST thing I've EVER experienced with a disc player; can ANYONE please assist me here, as I'm at my wits end? We paid $1K (U.S.) for this player, and it's utterly frustrating that it doesn't seem to be working right in terms of choosing what's right for my television. Is this an HDMI cable issue? I'm running a Monoprice Premium Certified 4K/HDR cable, one of the popular ones amongst enthusiasts, but I'm not sure if it's the culprit here; furthermore, my TV recently did an auto firmware update, so could this be playing into what's going on? Perhaps the TV is now telling the player that it CAN accept 12-Bit 4:4:4 with 4K signals? I didn't see anything about this when I Googled the firmware update number...

As I said, if anyone could help me with these matters, I would greatly appreciate it, as I can't seem to even get through to anyone at Panasonic who knows what they're talking about.

Thanks in advance.
I have the same player. It connects via a Marantz 7705 pre pro to a 77" LG OLED TV. I have had no issues, set up was fairly easy and the picture is fine.

Specs seem sparse on your TV. I wold just set it to output what looks best on your TV.

If you are getting a good picture, I would stop fretting about it. I get a very good picture, better than streamed, so I leave well alone.

How long is your HDMI cable? If it is longer than 20 ft, I would use a hybrid optical cable.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I have the same player. It connects via a Marantz 7705 pre pro to a 77" LG OLED TV. I have had no issues, set up was fairly easy and the picture is fine.

Specs seem sparse on your TV. I wold just set it to output what looks best on your TV.

If you are getting a good picture, I would stop fretting about it. I get a very good picture, better than streamed, so I leave well alone.

How long is your HDMI cable? If it is longer than 20 ft, I would use a hybrid optical cable.
I am super happy for you that you never have any issues with the player and that you never had set up challenges; I, unfortunately, am, so I am looking for some guidance.

The statement "I would just set it to output what looks best on your TV" is not that helpful, either, in that I want to be sure the unit is sending out what it's supposed to be sending out based on my display's capabilities -- obviously, something is wrong with the unit, as when I first set it up it was sending 4:2:2 12-Bit with 4K video and now, suddenly, it is sending 4:4:4 12-Bit (as well as for upscaled Blu-ray). I want to know WHY this changed when I was told my Samsung CAN'T support those formats.

It's comments like "stop fretting about it" that don't get me anywhere; I paid $1K for this thing, which is a ton of money for us, and I want to know if it is malfunctioning, plain and simple.

My HDMI cable is far shorter than 20 feet.

Thanks for your input.

If anyone could assist with the technical color space/depth questions I had, please fire away with any suggestions/thoughts. Thank you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is not helpful, to get "All mouth and trousers" about it.

I'm not convinced it is the BD player. I think the issue is much more likely to be with your Samsung TV. Samsung TVs tend to be problem units in any case. Not a TV line I would ever purchase personally. As I said it is hard to help you as the published specs on your TV are sparse in the extreme.

As you noted and stated, your new problems started after a Firmware update from Samsung. So the statistical odds of the problem being related are high.

So I would ask Samsung about it, but I doubt you will get anything out of them that makes sense.

You may not solve this problem without ditching your TV. Honestly I really doubt the problem is with your Panasonic BD player.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
It is not helpful, to get "All mouth and trousers" about it.
No -- as I said, it's not helpful just to keep telling me that I'm making something out of this that isn't a big deal. If you can't assist with the technical aspects of what I'm asking -- with regard to the bit depth and color space -- I don't know why you're finding a need to continuously defend what you're trying to say.

It's not helping me figure out WHY this is happening.

I'm not convinced it is the BD player. I think the issue is much more likely to be with your Samsung TV. Samsung TVs tend to be problem units in any case. Not a TV line I would ever purchase personally. As I said it is hard to help you as the published specs on your TV are sparse in the extreme.
Well, I bought the TV and while I can appreciate that you would never purchase a Samsung, I did -- so I'm stuck with the unit for the time being. As for these being problem units, it's interesting that I've been told by other Panasonic UHD disc player owners that their units, too, seem to be "whacky" when settings of any kind are changed, exhibiting what I am right now with the 4:4:4 color space situation, yet they can't understand why.

I have also been told, countless times, that the NU8000 CANNOT display 12-Bit 4:4:4 video at 4K resolution, which is why the player was originally sending 4:2:2 -- and this is why it's so confusing that I'm suddenly getting 4:4:4 12-Bit and a 4K60P Output of 4:4:4.

As you noted and stated, your new problems started after a Firmware update from Samsung. So the statistical odds of the problem being related are high.
This didn't happen immediately after getting the firmware update -- the player DIDN'T start doing these output changes UNTIL I went in and played with the QUICK START setup parameters a couple of days ago. I can't get ANY information online or in Samsung-oriented forums/threads about the latest firmware doing anything funky to the video it can accept...

So I would ask Samsung about it, but I doubt you will get anything out of them that makes sense.
Right -- which is why I'm asking on forums such as this one.

You may not solve this problem without ditching your TV. Honestly I really doubt the problem is with your Panasonic BD player.
So now I ditch my TV altogether? And you keep calling this a "problem" -- I don't KNOW if it's a problem, and that's what I'm trying to sort out. The TV MAY be able to accept 4:4:4 12-Bit 4K video now; I DON'T KNOW.

Let me ask you this: Can you assist me with any of the questions I asked about the PROPER BIT DEPTH AND COLOR SPACE for my PARTICULAR display?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No -- as I said, it's not helpful just to keep telling me that I'm making something out of this that isn't a big deal. If you can't assist with the technical aspects of what I'm asking -- with regard to the bit depth and color space -- I don't knw why you're finding a need to continuously defend what you're trying to say.

It's not helping me figure out WHY this is happening.

Well, I bought the TV and while I can appreciate that you would never purchase a Samsung, I did -- so I'm stuck with the unit for the time being. As for these being problem units, it's interesting that I've been told by other Panasonic UHD disc player owners that their units, too, seem to be "whacky" when settings of any kind are changed, exhibiting what I am right now with the 4:4:4 color space situation, yet they can't understand why.

I have also been told, countless times, that the NU8000 CANNOT display 12-Bit 4:4:4 video at 4K resolution, which is why the player was originally sending 4:2:2 -- and this is why it's so confusing that I'm suddenly getting 4:4:4 12-Bit and a 4K60P Output of 4:4:4.

This didn't happen immediately after getting the firmware update -- the player DIDN'T start doing these output changes UNTIL I went in and played with the QUICK START setup parameters a couple of days ago. I can't get ANY information online or in Samsung-oriented forums/threads about the latest firmware doing anything funky to the video it can accept...

Right -- which is why I'm asking on forums such as this one.

So now I ditch my TV altogether? And you keep calling this a "problem" -- I don't KNOW if it's a problem, and that's what I'm trying to sort out. The TV MAY be able to accept 4:4:4 12-Bit 4K video now; I DON'T KNOW.

Let me ask you this: Can you assist me with any of the questions I asked about the PROPER BIT DEPTH AND COLOR SPACE for my PARTICULAR display?
No, I can't, because Samsung seem to publish very limited specs. So I have no idea, particularly in view of the fact that there has been a recent Firmware update.

However you have not told us what your picture is like. If it is a good picture, then don't worry about it. The answer may be that it does not matter or the difference is insignificant.

So my problem is I can't tell if you have a significant problem, or you are trying to fix something that is not broken.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry about your frustrations. To check the supported resolutions on your Samsung TV, press the Home button on your remote control. Press on “Settings”, go down and press on “Support”, then press on “Open e-Manual”. Once there, move over and down to “Precautions and Notes” and press on it. Now, scroll down the list of items to “Supported Resolutions for UHD Input Signals” and press on it. All of the information you seek about your display is there. Would you mind posting a pic of the information? Take note of the frame rate information. Your player will display 4:4:4 because your TV can support it playing a 4K 24fps disc. Playing a 4K 60fps disc is another issue. Using the “Auto” setting will result in the player applying upscaling instead of playing discs in their native resolution. Set it to “Original” or whatever the player designation and let the TV deal with upscaling it. I hope you find your answers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry about your frustrations. To check the supported resolutions on your Samsung TV, press the Home button on your remote control. Press on “Settings”, go down and press on “Support”, then press on “Open e-Manual”. Once there, move over and down to “Precautions and Notes” and press on it. Now, scroll down the list of items to “Supported Resolutions for UHD Input Signals” and press on it. All of the information you seek about your display is there. Would you mind posting a pic of the information? Take note of the frame rate information. Your player will display 4:4:4 because your TV can support it playing a 4K 24fps disc. Playing a 4K 60fps disc is another issue. Using the “Auto” setting will result in the player applying upscaling instead of playing discs in their native resolution. Set it to “Original” or whatever the player designation and let the TV deal with upscaling it. I hope you find your answers.
That should be helpful to the OP. You seem to be familiar with Samsung TVs. So he can retrieve the information he needs from the TV.

My guess is the auto settings will be correct, just different if the player or the TV does the up scaling.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
He’ll want to play with it. Auto usually means DVD’s will be upscaled. If he turns it off he can compare the upscaling job the player does to the upscaling by the TV. There could be no difference at all and he can leave it on. But, if he thinks the player is behaving strangely, he can just play discs in their original resolution to see if any quirks are still there.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

He’ll want to play with it. Auto usually means DVD’s will be upscaled. If he turns it off he can compare the upscaling job the player does to the upscaling by the TV. There could be no difference at all and he can leave it on. But, if he thinks the player is behaving strangely, he can just play discs in their original resolution to see if any quirks are still there.
That is the problem though, I don't know if he actually has any quirks. The issue may well be just different routes to the same end.

I have that same player, and it works very well and has shown no temperament to me so far. It was set up and then leave well alone.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I wish I could say that about all of my devices but I tinker with them constantly.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
No, I can't
And that's what everyone else seems to be saying, which is why I'm so frustrated. This issue is at the HEART of what's happening in my setup.

I have no idea, particularly in view of the fact that there has been a recent Firmware update.
I can't seem to find ANY information regarding what this firmware update actually did, or if it affected 4:4:4 support.

However you have not told us what your picture is like. If it is a good picture, then don't worry about it. The answer may be that it does not matter or the difference is insignificant.

So my problem is I can't tell if you have a significant problem, or you are trying to fix something that is not broken.
I don't have a problem with the picture -- there's no banding or anything like that. Everything looks good, whether upscaled DVD and Blu-ray to 4K (which is how I have the player set, for Auto resolution output, which selects "2160p" for my display) or native 4K. I would still like to know WHY all of a sudden the player is sending out YCBCr 4:4:4 12-Bit with UHD discs when just a couple of days ago it was sending out 4:2:2 -- and that "4K60P OUTPUT" setting in the main HDMI menu is suddenly reading "4K/60P 4:4:4" when just the other day it was reading "4:2:0."

There's OBVIOUSLY something going on here, and I'd like to know what is actually RIGHT for my television.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Was UHD Color for the HDMI input on the TV set to OFF at any point? That would change things. Did you find your display infirmation?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I appreciate your input here, and let me respond to your statements a chunk at a time:

I will look at what you mentioned in the Samsung's supported formats; I didn't know this was accessible.

When you say the player will display 4:4:4 because my TV can support it playing a 24FPS disc, I understand what you're saying -- but what I'm saying is that when I FIRST installed the unit, 4K discs ALWAYS played back as 12-Bit 4:2:2, NOT 4:4:4. I was told this was correct for the NU8000, as it COULDN'T do 12-Bit 4:4:4 with full 4K signals unless it was on the PC input. All of a sudden, the player IS sending 4:4:4 12-Bit with both upscaled Blu-ray and native 4K.

And, yes, I have the resolution set to AUTO, which, I know, sends out native 4K discs as-is and upscales Blu-ray and DVDs to 2160. I'm fine with this.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Was UHD Color for the HDMI input on the TV set to OFF at any point? That would change things. Did you find your display infirmation?
I didn't have a chance to go down to my home theater room yet; been responding to you guys.

No -- UHD Color for the HDMI input has not been turned off. I thought of that (actually, I'm going to double-check this).

I will look for the display information and check back ASAP.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
And with regard to the resolution settings, gentlemen, yes -- I'm using the AUTO setting, as I've always done with every disc player I've ever used, from Oppo to Panasonic, and this correctly sets "2160P" for my TV (I confirm this all the time by pressing the remote's HOME button and then clicking on the input icon at the bottom, which brings up incoming resolution information).

This isn't the issue, at all; everything looks great, quality-wise -- there's something weird going on with the output parameters the player wants to send (concerning color depth and space), in addition to that "4K60P OUTPUT" setting in the main HDMI menu, which now always reads "4K/60P 4:4:4" when in the past it read "4:2:0."

How can the TV all of a sudden be able to accept 4:4:4 with all these settings?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

And with regard to the resolution settings, gentlemen, yes -- I'm using the AUTO setting, as I've always done with every disc player I've ever used, from Oppo to Panasonic, and this correctly sets "2160P" for my TV (I confirm this all the time by pressing the remote's HOME button and then clicking on the input icon at the bottom, which brings up incoming resolution information).

This isn't the issue, at all; everything looks great, quality-wise -- there's something weird going on with the output parameters the player wants to send (concerning color depth and space), in addition to that "4K60P OUTPUT" setting in the main HDMI menu, which now always reads "4K/60P 4:4:4" when in the past it read "4:2:0."

How can the TV all of a sudden be able to accept 4:4:4 with all these settings?
Well, I don't know, but I suspect the answer is that the TV can scale to what it is sent.

I think if you have a good picture you like you should stop worrying about it and enjoy your movies. I' worried that you will end up changing some setting and have trouble getting back to square one. I guess if the player is sending 4/K60P 4:4:4 and you have a good picture, then the TV must be accepting it.

I think the Monty Python "worried about" sketch is getting evoked here.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I don't know, but I suspect the answer is that the TV can scale to what it is sent.

I think if you have a good picture you like you should stop worrying about it and enjoy your movies. I' worried that you will end up changing some setting and have trouble getting back to square one. I guess if the player is sending 4/K60P 4:4:4 and you have a good picture, then the TV must be accepting it.

I think the Monty Python "worried about" sketch is getting evoked here.

I don't think I'm explaining myself that well; let me go back a bit...

Just because I'm getting a good picture and I am enjoying the films we watch on this finely-built player doesn't mean that I shouldn't have the right to question why, technically, something is suddenly acting differently from one day to the next. This is a $1,000 piece of equipment, and I want to be sure it's functioning properly -- EVEN IF it's sending a clean picture.

When I first set the player up, all the automatic settings were sending -- as confirmed by the remote's access to the onscreen disc data -- 4K/24P YCbCr 4:2:2 video when watching 4K Blu-rays. Again, I was told that this was CORRECT for my Samsung, as it didn't support full 4:4:4 chroma at 12-Bits with 4K video. When I watched upscaled Blu-rays through the Panasonic, the player was sending 4K/24P YCBCr 4:4:4 10-Bit signals, as the Chroma Upsampling feature of the UB9000 was taking the 4:2:0 video of the Blu-ray and upsampling its chroma to 4:4:4 -- I was told this WAS possible with my screen, so the player was acting right.

The other night, I decided to re-engage the "Quick Settings" feature in the player, and this returned me to that setup prompt that reads "IF YOU CAN SEE THIS SCREEN, PRESS YES -- OTHERWISE DO NOTHING," which is supposed to test the display for 4K/60P compatibility. When I pressed YES -- because I was obviously able to see this message -- the player was all of a sudden claiming it was supporting 4K/60P video at 4:4:4, which it didn't do BEFORE I went into the Quick Settings; before this, it was reading 4K/60P 4:2:0.

Then, when I played a 4K disc -- Bad Boys for Life -- the player's output information suddenly started reading "YCbCr 4:4:4 12-Bit" when previously this read "4:2:2 12-Bit" -- I don't understand why this suddenly changed, and I want to know what the correct output is for my display.

I understand this is annoying you -- even though it's MY issue, which is really ironic -- but if you don't have any answers as to why the TECHNICAL end of this is occurring with regard to the color space and depth, then perhaps I should try and wait until someone with more knowledge of the electronics can answer (and I mean ABSOLUTELY NO disrespect or ill will -- believe me; I just don't want to frustrate you or anyone else any longer).

I mean, you keep saying you "don't know" when I ask technical questions, and I'm trying, desperately, to find out what is going on with the signal chain, but at the same time you want to keep forcing me to accept that the player provides a good picture. I can appreciate that, but I want to find out WHY this just occurred because I have a feeling that something is malfunctioning in the UB9000, and if I have to send it in for repair, I want to do it as soon as I can.

Is that fair enough?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't worry about TLS Guy's comments on avrs, most speakers, avrs or Audyssey....he's clueless generally in all these thing despite his protestrations. He might recommend a brit tv monitor but I don't think there are any. He may as well go back to the old blimey for many of his "beliefs". He does have some good electrical and speaker design comments but even them some don't like his speakers....

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I cannot seem to attach the documents here because it keeps saying the file is too large (I took a picture of the menu you asked for last night); is there another way to get this to you?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis