Comparison between the Hsu VTF-3 HO and the SVS PB12-Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
naisphoo said:
Buckeyefan, my room is 20'X25' with a cathedrale ceiling and I think the maximum height is about 15' I think, just a rough estimate. It's a big four seasons porch.
Ajax, i thank you for your input. Yes it is quite confusing to a newbie like me. It's been 2 months now that I'm looking for a sub and I'm still unable to make a definitive decision. In the last few days I've narrowed them down to the EP600 and the SVS pb12-ultra/2 but then the HSU VTF-3 HO showed up out of nowhere.
Craig I'm still waiting for you as I want to watch King Kong with a sub preferably.

I'd say: buy the latest & greatest - the HO :D:D:D

A HSU owner for well over 11 years. :eek:

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
War of the Worlds - the Return of the King ...

Tonight, we switched between the two subs for War of the Worlds - specifically the lightning scene then the machines break through the ground scene.

In the machines coming through the ground scene, I was worried, both times, that I would be calling for new drivers.

Both subwoofers were pretty potent - louder than I care to listen, with rare exceptions. That being said, they both would require multiple units to achieve that elusive "reference" level in our 4000 ^ 3 foot basement.

In this case, the SVS was a bit more forceful in energizing the room than was the Hsu - and these two scenes need LOTS of horsepower. The SVS, subjectively, has a bit more HP in the deepest bass.

The units were set up as follows: Two ports open, 16 Hz for the Ultra and Turbo installed, 16 Hz for the VTF-3 HO.

Next up is posting the graphs - and watching Return of the King.

Will the graphs match the subjective ?

Round 2 - SVS PB12-Ultra

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
The graphs ... First, the PB12-Ultra handling the Lightning scene.

The VTF-3 HO handling the lightning scene.

The PB12-Ultra handling the machines scene.

Finally, the VTF-3HO handling the machines scene.

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
WOW! I've never seen 2 subs look soooo different, it's like night and later on that night:D

Nice work Craig, keep it commin.

JR

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Duffman-OOHYEAH said:
WOW! I've never seen 2 subs look soooo different, it's like night and later on that night:D

Nice work Craig, keep it commin.

JR
JR - I hope we are never in the same bar. I am sure it would be an all-nighter ... :D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Craig,

Any chance to compare/graph them at the scene where the dying pod crashes through the building, towards the end of the movie?

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Craig,

Any chance to compare them at the scene where the dying pod crashes through the building, towards the end of the movie?
No - My kids are now doing homework - and my bride suggested I turn down the volume. Something about explosions affecting their concentration.:D

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
craigsub said:
JR - I hope we are never in the same bar. I am sure it would be an all-nighter ... :D
Craig you're married, I don't think your wife would appreciate you comming onto some stranger on a forum. :p Let's move this over to match.com big boy. GGRRR! or email me at bigLeon@hotmale.com :D

Sounds like you need to sound proof the childrens rooms:cool:

JR

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Duffman-OOHYEAH said:
Craig you're married, I don't think your wife would appreciate you comming onto some stranger on a forum. :p Let's move this over to match.com big boy. GGRRR! or email me at bigLeon@hotmale.com :D

Sounds like you need to sound proof the childrens rooms:cool:

JR
JR ... If you EVER post something like this again, it will be Bose subwoofers for the rest of your life ... :eek:

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
craigsub said:
JR ... If you EVER post something like this again, it will be Bose subwoofers for the rest of your life ... :eek:
Then I would finally have graduated to a true audiophile quality product. A dream come true.:D

Duffman@STUDMUFFIN.com:D sorry couldn't resist.
JR

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Duffman-OOHYEAH said:
Then I would finally have graduated to a true audiophile quality product. A dream come true.:D

JR
Careful, some members get very upset when confronted with the truth.

SheepStar

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Here are the graphs overlaid ... the machines:

The Lightning:

Thanks, JeffD2 !!! :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
That supports the saying.

Hsu: Handles above 25Hz better
SVS: Handles below 25hz better

SheepStar

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
The Hsu actually looks to have more output around the 18hz-22hz range.

Craig, what kind of differences do you think you could induce by changing the port direction of the subs.

J

jmprader

Audioholic Intern
Duffman-OOHYEAH said:

JR

Uh oh. I would almost be willing to bet there are more Bose "subs" out there than Hsu, SVS, Axiom, Velodyne, Rocket and a few others combined...let's not get the mass market into this...

FYI, in the days of my mispent youth at UC Berkeley, I owned some 901's and a Phase Linear 400. Gobs of bass eq coupled with one screamer of an amp made them full range speakers. We'd put them out the frat window and crank Rod Stewart, et al until you could hear them blocks away on campus. That was when they were at their best: blocks away:D ...

Hey Craig, so much flak over on AVS that my brain hurts, remind me, your peak readings are with uneq'd subs but level matched (pink noise?) and done @ same location for each set of subs, right? And the readings are taken @ listening position or 1m or 2m???. I should know better and apologize if it's recently been answered elsewhere, but others with less surfing time may also benefit.

Cheers. Keep up the effort.

R

rushwj

Audioholic
this is definitely better reading than over at AVS. appreciate your work on this.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
hey craig, i wish you had graphs like this between the ultra and axiom 500.
(or an overlaid ultra, HO, ep500 graph) :)

also, the avs thread was closed ... its just pathetic how many of the posters there just can't understand the words "opinion" and "subjective"

J

jmprader

Audioholic Intern
Sheep said:
That supports the saying.

Hsu: Handles above 25Hz better
SVS: Handles below 25hz better

SheepStar
...dang things are happening fast here...

Without trying to appear technically competent, or start anything, I'm guessing the port plug might be restricting the SVS output...isn't that the raison d'etre for the turbos...(apologies if I butchered the French...that was decades ago)

J

jmprader

Audioholic Intern
mike c said:
hey craig, i wish you had graphs like this between the ultra and axiom 500.
(or an overlaid ultra, HO, ep500 graph) :)

also, the avs thread was closed ... its just pathetic how many of the posters there just can't understand the words "opinion" and "subjective"
Geez, and I bought all kinds of popcorn today...

F

finsup

Audiophyte
Well, another thread locked over at AVS

I think I am going to start hanging out here more often. Bott dropped the bomb and locked the thread down. The guy from the "extreme north" is probably dancing right now. I hope he doesn't drop in here for a visit.:mad:

Craigsub, I hope you can see this thing through!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis