Comparison between the Hsu VTF-3 HO and the SVS PB12-Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
For those who have followed the subwoofer wars, about 15 months ago, Hsu Research announced their new VTF-3 HO. It was touted as being competitive with any 12 inch subwoofer, and was promised to have a "turbo" option which would extend the bass without the usual loss in SPL which port blockers caused.

After a few delays, we received a pair of VTF-3 HO's last week, complete with Turbo.

Last June, we purchased a couple SVS PB12-Ultras.

Now that the Hsu's have had a few days, it is time for a blind shootout.

For the system, they will be paired with the Emotiva DMC-1/MPS-1, a modded Denon 2900, and ACI's Sapphire XL's.

We can do some pretty quick swap outs ... and tonight we will start the listening impressions "blind". Both subwoofers are level matched, and have comparable in room response curves.

Right now, Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" is playing on subwoofer "A". More later ...

Matt34

Matt34

craigsub said:
For those who have followed the subwoofer wars, about 15 months ago, Hsu Research announced their new VTF-3 HO. It was touted as being competitive with any 12 inch subwoofer, and was promised to have a "turbo" option which would extend the bass without the usual loss in SPL which port blockers caused.

After a few delays, we received a pair of VTF-3 HO's last week, complete with Turbo.

Last June, we purchased a couple SVS PB12-Ultras.

Now that the Hsu's have had a few days, it is time for a blind shootout.

For the system, they will be paired with the Emotiva DMC-1/MPS-1, a modded Denon 2900, and ACI's Sapphire XL's.

We can do some pretty quick swap outs ... and tonight we will start the listening impressions "blind". Both subwoofers are level matched, and have comparable in room response curves.

Right now, Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" is playing on subwoofer "A". More later ...
Sounds like fun, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the HO.:p

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
keep us in the loop! pictures of the shootout would be great too!

(if its gonna be the same as the previous gtg ... why not include your DD in the mix)

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Round # 1 ... In past blind tests, I have waited until the very end to post results. This time, results will be posted each night. As stated earlier, I have been doing switching with the Two Against Nature DVD/A from Steely Dan. EDIT: The subwoofers are both being run in their standard, all ports open mode. The SVS's tuning is set to 20 Hz, the Hsu's to 22 Hz. Lower tuning options will be explored later ...

Bass in this disc is broken into two basic components - a Kick drum which hits from the mid 40's down to the low 20's, depending on which drummer was sitting in.

Michael White, for example, has a VERY deep kick drum - the type that whacks you in the chest, even at moderate volumes.

Both subwoofers were equally adept at delivering the goods here.

The difference between these two subs is in the bass guitar work of Walter Becker and Tom Barney. While listening, it was clear one of the subs was more clearly playing the bassguitar, while the other had bass guitar being more distant.

Round # 1 goes to the Hsu VTF-3 HO.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yay, another shoot out. :)

Any chance on getting measurements (In room FR, THD, GD, PC) ?

SheepStar

T

ted_b

Audiophyte
Is the turbo installed (that's the add-on port piece on the top, correct?)? Are you going to try the blind test with and without turbo or any other option (tuned ports opened vs shut, etc.)? What do you have planned , software wise, for the next rounds? Music, DVD's, what? Is it just you or is the SO involved, or neighbors?
Ted

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
We will get some in room measurements this weekend - and hopefully pics before then.

Outdoor measurements will come when our Great Lakes weather permits.

For the last hour, I have had David Sanborn's "upfront" playing ... The Hsu is kicking some serious bass here - most of this disc resides on the 50 to 80 Hz range, and speed/agility are paramount. The Ultra, while pretty good here, just cannot match the HO for mid and upper bass.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Craig,

Thanks for sharing another great shootout - and posting as you go.

Any reason the EP500 isn't in the mix?

A

akebono

Enthusiast
craigsub said:
Round # 1 ... In past blind tests, I have waited until the very end to post results. This time, results will be posted each night. As stated earlier, I have been doing switching with the Two Against Nature DVD/A from Steely Dan.

Bass in this disc is broken into two basic components - a Kick drum which hits from the mid 40's down to the low 20's, depending on which drummer was sitting in.

Michael White, for example, has a VERY deep kick drum - the type that whacks you in the chest, even at moderate volumes.

Both subwoofers were equally adept at delivering the goods here.

The difference between these two subs is in the bass guitar work of Walter Becker and Tom Barney. While listening, it was clear one of the subs was more clearly playing the bassguitar, while the other had bass guitar being more distant.

Round # 1 goes to the Hsu VTF-3 HO.
Thanks for doing the work on this Craig, I'm very interested in your opinion on the HO. Are you going to be listening to movies as well? Personally, I tend to use my system for theater, than music. I'd appreciate hearing your opinion on how the HO does with movies as well. Thanks.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Craig,

Thanks for sharing another great shootout - and posting as you go.

Any reason the EP500 isn't in the mix?
As with many other areas of my life, a threesome here is beyond my ability to do it justice :D

I may run the EP-500 one on one against one of these when we are done. Look for tomorrow to be a movie spectacular night ... :)

A

akebono

Enthusiast
craigsub said:
As with many other areas of my life, a threesome here is beyond my ability to do it justice :D

I may run the EP-500 one on one against one of these when we are done. Look for tomorrow to be a movie spectacular night ... :)
Excellent! Looking forward to it.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
ted_b said:
Is the turbo installed (that's the add-on port piece on the top, correct?)? Ted
If Craig answered this already, my apologies for the duplicate. In the 22hz(native) tune that Craig stated he is using, that means no turbo and both ports open.

Craig, good luck in keeping this thread in good graces. I just read the AVS thread. Some people are terrible.

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
silversurfer said:
If Craig answered this already, my apologies for the duplicate. In the 22hz(native) tune that Craig stated he is using, that means no turbo and both ports open.

Craig, good luck in keeping this thread in good graces. I just read the AVS thread. Some people are terrible.

He hasn't but there should be no turbos used right now.

M

MUCHO

Audioholic Intern
Craig -

Thanks for your work here. I have a HO on pre-order and need to decide if I should buy it or just keep the 20-39 PC+ I have now.

The fate of my bass is in your hands :D

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
initech said:
So whats the deal with a modded Denon?
Some people upgrade components in their dvd/cd players. Usually transports, powersupplys, etc.. aren't the greatest from the factory so they get swaped for better internals.. Kinda like upgrading the chip or gearing in your car. It won't effect the comparo in anyway.;)

Craig, may I make a request? Throw on some tool - "aenima" to see how these big boys handle some quaddruple rolls from danny carey, lets see how well they keep up.:cool:

JR

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Some Clarifications ..

1. When I said "standard, 22 Hz mode" for the Hsu, that means no turbo used. Thus far, no Turbo has been engaged.

2. Tool will be fired up Thursday night. I think.

3. Mucho ... I say keep both. :D

4. Hopefully, I will fire up War of the World tomorrow night - along with the Blind results, look for graphs on each sub using TrueRTA and "PeakHold" ... the graphs will also be taken without my knowing which subwoofer it is.

The Ultra will be run in 16 Hz mode, the Hsu with Turbo installed.

K

kingtut

Junior Audioholic
MUCHO said:
Craig -

Thanks for your work here. I have a HO on pre-order and need to decide if I should buy it or just keep the 20-39 PC+ I have now.

The fate of my bass is in your hands :D
Mucho, keep both of them and conduct a blind listening tests like the "Sub-Guru" Craigsub. :D

D

daman4799

Junior Audioholic
I own a SVS 20-39 PCI and a HSU VTF-MKII. I've done my blind testing. Both subs are excellent performers. I'm still deciding which one I should sell (LOL).

Have fun with this Craig, I wish I was there. I would love to hear all those subs in one room. Axiom,HSU,SVS, Velo & that little X sub in one room,WOW!
FUN FUN FUN!!!!!

Later, Daman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis