Comparison between the Hsu VTF-3 HO and the SVS PB12-Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
ssabripo

ssabripo

Audioholic
eebuckeye said:
I initially was happy with the HO performing so close to the Ultra - it was news to me that the Plus is so close to the Ultra with $300 savings.

in all fainess ee, keep this in mind: the new db12.2 Plus driver is an excellent driver and really narrowed the gap with its flagship brother, the Ultra. However, as Craig always points out, there is more than just numbers! The Ultra is definitely the better "sounding" driver in the lineup, although the Plus is no slouch. Is it worth the extra $300 for "some" SQ improvement? for me (and many others) yes, but only you can answer that. Have you tried contacting SVS regarding the Plus vs Ultra? They will give you the best guidance, which they have to many in the past: the Plus is the sweet spot of bang vs buck, while the Ultra is the flagship and better sounding one bar none.

but honestly, we are in the miniscule details now: the HO, Plus, and Ultra will all be excellent choices, is just a matter of how much can your wallet (and ears) afford and/or justify. :)

E

eebuckeye

Audiophyte
I agree completely! Thanks! I also did not realize they had parametric EQ built in (although I'm not sure if this is a big deal for me).

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
jmprader said:
...didn't Sheep volunteer to come out and help?

Total Est. Time: 39 hours, 25 minutes Total Est. Distance: 2672.06 miles

I think Sheep, like me, is only gonna be lifting 12 oz. at a time, from home. Spent about an hour on AIM with him last night. Pretty cool, straight up kind of guy! Have to do it again sometime.:cool:

ssabripo

ssabripo

Audioholic
eebuckeye said:
I agree completely! Thanks! I also did not realize they had parametric EQ built in (although I'm not sure if this is a big deal for me).

it comes in handy, but it is a single channel PEQ, so dont expect BFD-esque leveling out of it :p

Better Sound quality, and the following, are the main reasons many fork up the extra $$ for the ultra:

J

jerrodshook

Audiophyte
ssabripo said:
it comes in handy, but it is a single channel PEQ, so dont expect BFD-esque leveling out of it :p

Better Sound quality, and the following, are the main reasons many fork up the extra $$ for the ultra:
Boy, that 1 driver looks wimpy!:)

Surely some of you will remember that whole debacle....

D

dirtraven

Enthusiast
Since we are at the SVS Driver

Numbers for a SVS PB ISD Driver that I found from a review. Measured at 1m.

SVS PB1(PB12) -ISD:
18 Hz: 84.3 dB
20 Hz: 94.6 dB
22 Hz: 103.3 dB
25 Hz: 110.3 dB
30 Hz: 119.7 dB
35 Hz: 118.2 dB
40 Hz: 121.7 dB (4.28% THD; amplifier limited)
50 Hz: 115.5 dB (9.14% THD; amplifier limited)
60 Hz: 111.4 dB

Last edited:
A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
Like many, I have had great fun following this thread. I was looking forward to hearing how these subs sounded with Tool. Perhaps I missed it, and if so, perhaps someone could refer me to the correct page #. If not, Craigsub, I would definately be interested to hear your impressions with this music. Thanks.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
auge.dog said:
Like many, I have had great fun following this thread. I was looking forward to hearing how these subs sounded with Tool. Perhaps I missed it, and if so, perhaps someone could refer me to the correct page #. If not, Craigsub, I would definately be interested to hear your impressions with this music. Thanks.
I received thie disc - and am just waiting for a good time to fire it up. Preferably, when the wife and kids are not there ... :D

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
I know you guys did a blind test on EP500 vs the Ultra, and most people prefer the EP500. So, in your opinon craigsub how does HO's SQ compare to EP500?

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
s002wjh said:
I know you guys did a blind test on EP500 vs the Ultra, and most people prefer the EP500. So, in your opinon craigsub how does HO's SQ compare to EP500?
Good question ... I was not involved in the test between the 500 and Ultra, and have not done any comparison tests between the 500 and ... well... anything yet. :eek: :D

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
The Behringer has arrived ...

I have placed the Hsu Pair back into our upstairs theater room, which is 4500 cubic feet. This room is harder to "drive" than is our basement room, so for now, I am using the Max output, 22 Hz, two ports open setting.

Here is the frequency response curve, both 1/24th octave and the same graphed smoothed, with no eq :

And here is the same graph after EQ ... both from the precise listening position ... I did switch the bottom to 20 Hz, as the VTF-3 HO really does not have noticeable output below 20 Hz in this setting.

B

bobgpsr

Enthusiast
FYI

Version 3.2 of TrueRTA is a free upgrade to any previous version 3 owner.

Purchase of level 4 (1/24 octave) is $99 for a new copy.

porksoda

porksoda

Audioholic Intern
craigsub said:
And here is the same graph after EQ ... both from the precise listening position ... I did switch the bottom to 20 Hz, as the VTF-3 HO really does not have noticeable output below 20 Hz in this setting.
Is this EQ done from your new Behringer eq?

porksoda

porksoda

Audioholic Intern
craigsub said:
Porksoda, yes, it is.
I think i should consider purchasing some sort of EQ device for my sub since i notice with my old subs certain frequencies would be more pronounced...

and by looking at those two curves that curve master does a great job... any pointers on this eq or any other for my newly purchased MKII?

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
porksoda said:
I think i should consider purchasing some sort of EQ device for my sub since i notice with my old subs certain frequencies would be more pronounced...

and by looking at those two curves that curve master does a great job... any pointers on this eq or any other for my newly purchased MKII?
Depending on what you want to spend, here is what I use ...

1) Behringer BFD = $99
2) Behringer ECM-800 = $50
3) Microphone cord = $20
4) RCA Adaptors = $30
5) Getting Microphone calibrated = $50
6) TrueRTA = $99**
7) M-Audio Mobile-pre= $149 **

The BFD is the actual eq ... you can take a Rad Shack meter, and plot your own graphs, or check out some of the free software. I think Room Wizard has corrective values to use with the Rad Shack as a microphone. That gets your cost down to under $200.

J

jmprader

Audioholic Intern
craigsub said:
...The BFD is the actual eq ... you can take a Rad Shack meter, and plot your own graphs, or check out some of the free software. I think Room Wizard has corrective values to use with the Rad Shack as a microphone. That gets your cost down to under $200.
Porksoda:

Be sure to download some correction tables if you use the Rad Shack meter. The BFD forum and Room eq wizard sites have/reference to the file (which has been updated recently). Also beware that from meter to meter there will still be deviation from the table, at least moreso than with a calibrated mic.

Since I have had success using the Behringer eq with Room eq wizard and the RS meter and an outboard soundcard, anyone with half a brain and less than a few pints in him can do it, promise. Send John Mulcahy a Paypal honorariam if you use his Room Eq Wizard, he's a great guy to do what he does for the benefit of all.

<edited to add link to room eq wizard>

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.mulcahy/roomeq/

Last edited:
C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
jmprader said:
Porksoda:

Be sure to download some correction tables if you use the Rad Shack meter. The BFD forum and Room eq wizard sites have/reference to the file (which has been updated recently). Also beware that from meter to meter there will still be deviation from the table, at least moreso than with a calibrated mic.

Since I have had success using the Behringer eq with Room eq wizard and the RS meter and an outboard soundcard, anyone with half a brain and less than a few pints in him can do it, promise. Send John Mulcahy a Paypal honorariam if you use his Room Eq Wizard, he's a great guy to do what he does for the benefit of all.
Excellent stuff, jm. As a guy who, 3 years ago, was using computers for playing solitaire and surfing the Web, I sure have been taught a lot about all sorts of uses for the computer. My employees get nervous - because they cannot snow me as easily as they used to ... :D

I have heard about this free software, but was not sure how it could be free - very cool stuff about John Mulcahy. I would imagine someone will be doing something nice for him, too ... :)

majorloser

majorloser

Craig,

I like your new signature, but I think subwoofers are LESS controversial than women :D

Besides, you can kick the subwoofer when it pi$$es you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis