China has a Severe Energy Crisis.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There are going to be a lot of growing pains converting over to renewables but I think we're reaching a point to where it's a necessary evil. More and more companies are putting money into researching and developing the tech.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
There are going to be a lot of growing pains converting over to renewables but I think we're reaching a point to where it's a necessary evil. More and more companies are putting money into researching and developing the tech.
I want my daughter to outlive me and I don't think of that as a "necessary evil". YMMV.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Can I assume that you mean the "growing pains" is the necessary evil you are referring to and not renewable energy sources themselves?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can I assume that you mean the "growing pains" is the necessary evil you are referring to and not renewable energy sources themselves?
Yes.
I want my daughter to outlive me and I don't think of that as a "necessary evil". YMMV.
The growing pains involved with switching from fossil fuels to renewables will absolutely affect your daughter. It's not going to be an easy transition. Jobs will dry up and people may die. I don't like that at all, but we have to do something and soon. The way it's going now (relying on fossil fuels) is not sustainable.

Just to be clear, I'm a huge proponent of switching to renewables. I'm also a realist tho, and understand that during the process things could get really ugly before it gets better.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yes.

The growing pains involved with switching from fossil fuels to renewables will absolutely affect your daughter. It's not going to be an easy transition. Jobs will dry up and people may die. I don't like that at all, but we have to do something and soon. The way it's going now (relying on fossil fuels) is not sustainable.

Just to be clear, I'm a huge proponent of switching to renewables. I'm also a realist tho, and understand that during the process things could get really ugly before it gets better.
You sound like a climate change apologizer in your OP that US companies are unable to change, thus my response.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You sound like a climate change apologizer in your OP that US companies are unable to change, thus my response.
Oh god, you make me wanna delete that post! No, that's not my stance. It's entirely doable. We're reaching a point where I think "the bottom line" shouldn't be about money anymore. It needs to be about the preservation of habitability on the planet. I'm only acknowledging it's not gonna be easy.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Oh god, you make me wanna delete that post! No, that's not my stance. It's entirely doable. We're reaching a point where I think "the bottom line" shouldn't be about money anymore. It needs to be about the preservation of habitability on the planet. I'm only acknowledging it's not gonna be easy.
My take from your post is that US companies are unable to compete on their own merits and need extensive protective measures along with extremely generous tax breaks. Did I get it right?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My take from your post is that US companies are unable to compete on their own merits and need extensive protective measures along with extremely generous tax break. Did I get it right?
What?? No! I'm just making a broad stroke statement that it's not going to be easy, but one way or another we need to knuckle down and do it. Period, hard stop

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
What?? No! I'm just making a broad stroke statement that it's not going to be easy, but one way or another we need to knuckle down and do it. Period, hard stop
Sure, and USA must be on that train, and so far they are not, quite the opposite, really.

A very big part of the Democrats agenda is just about climate change but the Democrat "moderates" in Senate does not understand that, but then they checked out mentally a couple of decades ago.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sure, and USA must be on that train, and so far they are not, quite the opposite, really.
Oh I dunno. We're slowly heading in the right direction I think. Even if some of us are being dragged into it, kicking and screaming. The US has decreased it's carbon footprint per capita over the last couple decades. We're doing a hell of a lot better than China!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes.

It is absolutely impossible to replace fossil fuels with renewables. May be you can replace 20 to 30%. Trying to do more will create colossal environmental damage.

The UK is getting 20% of its power from wind.

The destruction of thousands of sea birds, from the massive wind farm on the Dogger Bank in the North Sea has been tragic this year.

Gas is in short supply across Europe. Just recently the wind did not blow for four days across the UK. They came close to rolling blackouts, and were only saved by restarting four coal fired power stations.

The UK have been waking up to this, and are planning a massive investment in more nuclear power. One will be online soon in Somerset supplying 14% of UK power.

Also planed are local community nuclear plants using the Rolls-Royce submarine nuclear plants.

It will turn out that nuclear will be the most reliable, and least environmentally destructive approach.

Converting to handle that enormous electric load increase will require massive investment mot only in power stations, but in sub stations local transmission lines and local transformers.

I tried to future proof my house with a 400 amp panel. The power company would not let me, as they said the local infrastructure would not take it. So I put in a 200 watt. That will not come close to replacing my natural gas supply.

Then we have to talk about electrification of our entire rail system.

Then our trucking industry will have to convert to hydrogen. This will require massive amounts of electricity to produce it. Battery powered big rigs are an unrealistic pipe dream.

We will have to develop systems that make road traffic accidents virtually impossible, before we allow massive quantities of hydrogen barreling down our highways, and travelling through our cities.

The merchant marine is a huge CO2 producer, and no one even has a clue how to solve that. Even less clue how to power aircraft.

The problems are just gigantic, and I fear we have left the changes to our infrastructure far too late.

We don't even know how to solve a lot of the problems I mention. All of them, and probably many I have not thought of, will need solutions before we get even close to carbon neutral.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes.

We have time, but we need to use it wisely- that means, coming up with viable ways to produce enough power for the present, as well as finding some way to produce more that we'll need in future generations. That would have to come in two ways- produce more and consume less. That is the only way we can have enough, assuming population growth remains similar to current levels. Solar isn't totally reliable and doesn't work 24 hours a day in one place, wind is similarly unreliable. Water levels vary and because of bad water management, CA and the Desert SW have chronic shortages. Well, they use more than they should and more than they can rely on, anyway.

I'm not impressed by the lack of progress in vehicular fuel economy, but the quest for HP in cars & trucks by Americans is the driving force, no pun intended. People need to overcompensate for their shortcomings, so they get a big engine and the automakers are feeding that without end. The price of new vehicles is stupid and producing 800 HP cars is needless- let the people who want that do it on their own dime and their own time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The destruction of thousands of sea birds, from the massive wind farm on the Dogger Bank in the North Sea has been tragic this year.
I did read that painting 1 of the blades black drastically reduces bird deaths. Which btw, when compared to how many birds die from flying into buildings is miniscule.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
For those thinking we can get to a point where we no longer need fossil fuels:
We will always need lubrication for all types of machinery and motors regardless of how they are powered.
In order to be energy efficient it is necessary to lighten weight as much as possible within structural and safety parameters. Mining metals from the earth has it's own environmental issues. But lightening things means using plastics which are strong and durable yet light. Yes, they come from fossil fuels as well.
I simply don't see a solution short of a miraculous source of energy such as fusion power coming from seawater. The planet cannot support anything like our current human population for an extended period of time. I'm glad I'm not young anymore.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One of my favorite science based Youtubers pops out videos from time to time on renewable energy and there are some ideas for storage solutions during down times of renewable energy production. I think there's hope. I think it's possible if everyone would direct more focus and resources at the issue.

That's just one of his videos. He has a whole series on renewable energy and doesn't pull any punches. We're not there yet, but it's possible.

highfigh

highfigh

For those thinking we can get to a point where we no longer need fossil fuels:
We will always need lubrication for all types of machinery and motors regardless of how they are powered.
In order to be energy efficient it is necessary to lighten weight as much as possible within structural and safety parameters. Mining metals from the earth has it's own environmental issues. But lightening things means using plastics which are strong and durable yet light. Yes, they come from fossil fuels as well.
I simply don't see a solution short of a miraculous source of energy such as fusion power coming from seawater. The planet cannot support anything like our current human population for an extended period of time. I'm glad I'm not young anymore.
I would bet that the oil reserves aren't depleted, but that a lot of oil is almost impossible to reach. As far as lubrication, some already exist that aren't petroleum-based, but lube obviously needs to perform as needed, not just be a showpiece for someone to yell "I have found a way out of the darkness!".

I never understood why people pound out a gaggle of kids when they had no way to support them. I guess, when they have nothing else to do,.....

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
While I agree it shouldn't be about money; it's starting to become a brick wall. As cars are becoming more efficient, they need to pilot out a pay per mile scheme to reclaim lost revenue. Everyone wants in on the 'green' alternatives that are just as bad, if not worse, rather than ramping up efficiency of current fuels. New tech brings new business brings more money. It has nothing to do with preserving the planet one bit.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
While I agree it shouldn't be about money; it's starting to become a brick wall. As cars are becoming more efficient, they need to pilot out a pay per mile scheme to reclaim lost revenue. Everyone wants in on the 'green' alternatives that are just as bad, if not worse, rather than ramping up efficiency of current fuels. New tech brings new business brings more money. It has nothing to do with preserving the planet one bit.
One part of the solution is to reduce the need for cars. Better public transport and cities/suburbs planned around not needing a car for going to work, for instance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis