Cheap preamp/amp on high end speakers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks all, it was a great deal indeed, I always hunt them out :)

I'm not sure actually, I'm messing around with that right now. A program called Plex came up, is that what I need? I'll try the Foobar one.
I'm having some issues getting the laptop to sync up with the Denon. On Flex and Foobar when I hit play it just goes through the laptop speakers. What am I missing? The only way I can make it work is right click and "cast to device Denon" but it's using some crap integrated windows app.

As for hardwired, does the receiver need to be hardwired, or the laptop, or both? I have a very good internet service bit I guess we will see. Does Foobar play the 24/192 files that I have without getting chopped up? Thx.
To stream you do need Foobar. If setup right, the Denon will find the music on your PC, then it is just click and play.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To stream you do need Foobar. If setup right, the Denon will find the music on your PC, then it is just click and play.
You use it differently than I do I think (?). I find using the Denon Media Server clunky by comparison of controlling/searching/selecting via foobar2000 from the computer and casting to the Denon via dlna/wifi.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In case you are floundering over what to get, this is a pretty nice kit for $20 US:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just put mine atop the warmest areas and leave on the low fan setting. The fans cannot be heard more than a couple feet away (in a quiet room) while the AVR temp stays down close to room temperature!
One of the best features is the silicone pads you can see in the picture. These prevent vibrating the AVR's cover.
These fans are what I use to cool all my electronics. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did :) they were selling I for $799 CDN and I'm like "you guys can do better than that." $625 out the door. That solves that! Thanks guys, this is a sweet "preamp" in my case. More options than the STR and 1/8th the price, granted I still need an amp, but she plays for now. We had a birthday party at my place last night, I had the Polk's bumping pretty good for 105w lol. Beer pong and all that good stuff.

How do I play music from my laptop to the 3300? I'm able to Spotify and all that, but I have hi res music on my PC that I want to either stream via Bluetooth, or with a cable. What's the best way to do the without losing the quality?
I think the best way is always with a cable (Ethernet, HDMI, Optical, Coax, etc.).

I use HDMI cable from my PC to Denon.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You use it differently than I do I think (?). I find using the Denon Media Server clunky by comparison of controlling/searching/selecting via foobar2000 from the computer and casting to the Denon via dlna/wifi.
I find it clunky too but I assume it was because my 4308 and 8801 are of the older generation and that the newer models would do okay. I do use Foobar200 and jRiver too but only with my USB DACs, not streaming.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
I'll have to try Ethernet. I tried HDMI but it didn't run too well from my laptop, not sure why. To use DAC do I need USB to usb and plug into the front port of the AVR?
I find it super clunky the to use the Denon dashboard and open songs from there. Universal Media Server has been working well so far, fairly easy to use and sends FLAC 192khz to the Denon (says so on the details of you have TV plugged in).

One more question, when I get an amp, right now it's looking like the Monolith 2 channel, the Denon will act as the preamp, but will it use its watts in combo with the 200w from the amp, or just send signals and amp does the watts? Also, if I get the 5 channel amp and run wire from the extra channels to the speaker posts, is that biamping or is it a waste of time? Call me crazy but I feel like 200w is cutting it close for a 2 channel setup, 3-400 would be nice to have the headroom. I listen to some parts really loud and it doesn't take much knob to go from 100 to 200 watts of perceived sound (~3db gain from 100 watts) wowza.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When using an external amp the avr's amp is not used, although if just using the external amp on the mains you would be freeing up the avr's power supply a bit for surround/center channels. The extra channels don't cost very much on the Monolith...but passive bi-amping I'd not bother with.

If you haven't already read this.... http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring. If you want more power than the Monolith for a lesser price might try a Crown amp like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140557-REG/crown_audio_xls2502_two_channel_775w_power_amplifier.html#!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also, if I get the 5 channel amp and run wire from the extra channels to the speaker posts, is that biamping or is it a waste of time?
1. If you have to even ask, do not waste any time on the bi-amping. If done incorrectly, it could be very bad.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Another option is to get some Yamaha p2500s pro stereo amps. They have fans, but in 3 years I never heard them come on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another option is to get some Yamaha p2500s pro stereo amps.
Yamaha p2500s = 250W/8 ohms x 2Ch Class = $490
Crown XLi1502 = 330W/8 ohms x 2Ch = $299
Crown XLS1502 = 300W/8 ohms x 2Ch Class-D = $379

Now why would anyone want to pay a lot more for less power ?

The more efficient amps are the Class-D Crown XLS amps. The other amps are class AB.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Yamaha p2500s = 250W/8 ohms x 2Ch Class = $490
Crown XLi1502 = 330W/8 ohms x 2Ch = $299
Crown XLS1502 = 300W/8 ohms x 2Ch Class-D = $379

Now why would anyone want to pay a lot more for less power ?

The more efficient amps are the Class-D Crown XLS amps. The other amps are class AB.
Never cared for the crown amps...noisy fans too.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never cared for the crown amps...noisy fans too.

I've owned 2 Crown XLS2500 amps in the past. I used one to power the B&W 802D2 for a few hours just to see if the amp would get hot and see if the fans were noisy.

But the fans never even turned on because the class-D amp ran so extremely cool, unlike many Class AB amps (Yamaha amp is Class AB).

I don't own any Crown XLS Class-D amps now. But I would not hesitate using one if I ever needed one.

So Yamaha amp fans are quieter than Crown amp fans, huh?

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I've owned 2 Crown XLS2500 amps in the past. I used one to power the B&W 802D2 for a few hours just to see if the amp would get hot and see if the fans were noisy.

But the fans never even turned on because the class-D amp ran so extremely cool, unlike many Class AB amps (Yamaha amp is Class AB).

I don't own any Crown XLS Class-D amps now. But I would not hesitate using one if I ever needed one.

So Yamaha amp fans are quieter than Crown amp fans, huh?
In my experience the Yamaha is better.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Can you expand on that? I see you still have those 2208s, never found a good use for mine....yet.
I compared several Crown amps years ago, and they didn't sound as good as Yamaha did, plus had fan noise. I also bought a used Crown studio amp a couple of years ago and it didn't sound as good as the p2500s did, and died a month later, and was returned. Some people love Crown, but the last good Crowns that I have heard were built in the late 70s, and 80s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I compared several Crown amps years ago, and they didn't sound as good as Yamaha did, plus had fan noise. I also bought a used Crown studio amp a couple of years ago and it didn't sound as good as the p2500s did, and died a month later, and was returned. Some people love Crown, but the last good Crowns that I have heard were built in the late 70s, and 80s.

Ah, you were broadbrushing Crown when the amp under discussion was one you haven't even used. :) Really should give the XLS Drivecore series a try, sweet little amps for the money. No fan noise on the XLS Drivecore amps to speak of....totally unlike the 2208s :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis