Cheap preamp/amp on high end speakers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How is that comparison to be conducted/setup?
We both know such exercise is futile, been there done that right?:D I suppose most audiophiles or even just audioholics have to go through the same kind of journey..:rolleyes:

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I have two switch boxes. One switches the RCA input from one amp to the other. The second box is speaker selection box. This allows switching one amp to play one set of speakers and then the second amp to play to the same set of speakers.

The amps I’m comparing will be a Carver and a tube amp, (my friend will supply) the 2 demo Anthem Amps from the stereo dealer.

The music will be from Tidal (hard wired cat 5e from modem) and record player. Music of choice:
Classic Rock; Creadance Clearwater, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, ZZ Top, etc.
I have:
Onkyo TX RZ 1100
Focal Kanta No. 2 (fronts)
Focal Chorus CC700 (center)
JL Audio E112 (sub)
JBL S310II (surround)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have two switch boxes. One switches the RCA input from one amp to the other. The second box is speaker selection box. This allows switching one amp to play one set of speakers and then the second amp to play to the same set of speakers.

The amps I’m comparing will be a Carver and a tube amp, (my friend will supply) the 2 demo Anthem Amps from the stereo dealer.

The music will be from Tidal (hard wired cat 5e from modem) and record player. Music of choice:
Classic Rock; Creadance Clearwater, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, ZZ Top, etc.
I have:
Onkyo TX RZ 1100
Focal Kanta No. 2 (fronts)
Focal Chorus CC700 (center)
JL Audio E112 (sub)
JBL S310II (surround)
How will you level match?

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I see. I have a feeling your advice on setting up is futile. I can barely hear the difference between amp connected verses no amp connected. Although, I didn’t hook up the switch box yet for quick switch. As for level matching I searched the formum snd found previously mentioned topics on level matching. A new frontier in audioland for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good question, but with any luck those amps likely have the same gain. Regardless, level match to within 0.5 dB is a necessary step.
.5 dB or .1dB? I've seen more recommendations for the latter.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
.5 dB or .1dB? I've seen more recommendations for the latter.
Agreed, critics tend to say 0.1 dB. I suggested 0.5 for practical reason only, and now I know why you asked the question "how will you level match"..:D:D It can be done though, just need a little more effort..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis