Car modding/projects thread!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ill still sell you my RS*R GT2 and my C&R full length radiator (both less than 1 year old) for $400 plus shipping.

Sean
Sorry, getting a Titan Racing exhaust.

However, new developments with my car. I brought it into the shop at the end of the day thinking I would removed the piece of pipe that is sliding on the ground and keep my header and cat.

Turns out, 2 of the 3 bolts holding the header together (2 piece header) came out, and it was dangling by 1 bolt! The gasket is mangled, and I don't have any exhaust components other then my header. Open friggin header.

I'm going to contact Epic Kustomz (where I bought it) and have them order me new bolts, a gasket, and a donut so I can have it in good shape for my new cat-back. These should be free, as it header has a lifetime warranty.

SheepStar

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, getting a Titan Racing exhaust.

However, new developments with my car. I brought it into the shop at the end of the day thinking I would removed the piece of pipe that is sliding on the ground and keep my header and cat.

Turns out, 2 of the 3 bolts holding the header together (2 piece header) came out, and it was dangling by 1 bolt! The gasket is mangled, and I don't have any exhaust components other then my header. Open friggin header.

I'm going to contact Epic Kustomz (where I bought it) and have them order me new bolts, a gasket, and a donut so I can have it in good shape for my new cat-back. These should be free, as it header has a lifetime warranty.

SheepStar

Did you use thread locker on those bolts?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Did you use thread locker on those bolts?
No. These bolts screw into the top part of the manifold, then nuts screw on to them. They're basically studs. I figures it would get too hot for lock tight. They also didn't come with lock washers.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can try a tiny bit of form a gasket on them like Loctite. It will take the heat. Lock washers might be a better idea though, if there is enough room for them. That sucks man, but at least you caught it before you lost that last bolt and lost the A-pipe entirely.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I believe that ARP (the hi-perf. fastener manufacturer) have their own lockthread that's heat resistant. Or try locking washers, I had the same problem in my Z-28, 2 header bolts kept getting loose, I found equilvalent replacements that had holes on the bolthead, so I safety wired them. End of problem.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Update.

The header is going to get new bolts that are self locking, as well ans nuts that do the same. I contacted the people I bought it from and they're going to order me a new gasket.

But bigger news, I've ordered my new cat-back exhaust. It's from Skunk2, and it's full stainless construction. Can't wait to get it.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Update update!

I have video of my car driving with half a header (4-2 piece only).

Now it doesn't sound that loud, but neither be nor frit could hear ourselves talk or think. It's stupid how loud it is.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
S2 is pretty good stuff. Cool, let us know how it is when you get it.

LOL, you would get pulled over in about 2 seconds here running like that...and it is a $3500 fine for running no cat.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
S2 is pretty good stuff. Cool, let us know how it is when you get it.

LOL, you would get pulled over in about 2 seconds here running like that...and it is a $3500 fine for running no cat.
Frit and I are going to get a flyby today if the rain holds off. That should show just how loud it is.

I have to go get my beer for St. Patty's day today, hopefully there is another car I can take. :D

SheepStar

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Well after much debate I decided to throw up a quick vid of my hatch.
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=1489
That was my friend driving it, and not all that well. He shifted WAY to early (somewhere around 7500 RPM, On motor I shifted it about 9000) and thats obviously all motor. Youll get the idea :D

Sean

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Well after much debate I decided to throw up a quick vid of my hatch.
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=1489
That was my friend driving it, and not all that well. He shifted WAY to early (somewhere around 7500 RPM, On motor I shifted it about 9000) and thats obviously all motor. Youll get the idea :D

Sean
Wow, that was a total B*tch to load. I love the sound it has!

I've decided to pick up another Civic hatch, but a clean one, (don't care if it's an Si or not) and use that as my daily driver. Then I'll pull the motor from my Si, toss the chassis (accept for any bolt-ons I put on it like my PIAA headlights) and build my D16A6 up into a 200ish Hp N/A motor. Once it's built, I'll drop it into the daily drive, and have my car.

I know Turbo'ing will give me more power, but I'd rather have the reliability of N/A. I WON'T be using NOS.

SheepStar

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Turbo properly done on Honda engine with right cooling conbined with proper thermal analysis, fuel management, some parts from HRC, specially the critical parts like con rods, bearings, cams and alloy pistons can make a turbo last as long as the N/A but with loads more fun.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, but you have to DO all of that to get there...and then keep it tuned. Obviously, you have to work a little more for that additional power, but yes, you get quite a bit more for that work. I'm a fan of N/A also personally. If I had a spare car to play with, I might go FI.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Just found about this thread today. Here's my baby:

1995 Mustang GT
Cobra Intake (Extrude honed)
Edelbrock Performer Heads (Stage 1 ported)
E303 Cam
Cold-air induction
Diablo Predator Chip
Tokico Illumina struts/shocks
Bullitt brakes
18" Mille Miglia Evo 5 rims
Pirelli P Zero Nero tires: 265/40 front 275/40 rear
Yada, yada, yada

I'll post some pics when I get home. I'm still saving up to drop in a 331. But every time gas prices take a crazy jump, like right now, I start thinking twice.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Just found about this thread today. Here's my baby:

1995 Mustang GT
Cobra Intake (Extrude honed)
Edelbrock Performer Heads (Stage 1 ported)
E303 Cam
Cold-air induction
Diablo Predator Chip
Tokico Illumina struts/shocks
Bullitt brakes
18" Mille Miglia Evo 5 rims
Pirelli P Zero Nero tires: 265/40 front 275/40 rear
Yada, yada, yada

I'll post some pics when I get home. I'm still saving up to drop in a 331. But every time gas prices take a crazy jump, like right now, I start thinking twice.
I wouldn't bother dropping in a whole new motor that is only 29ci bigger, unless you're going to FI that thing.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Turbo properly done on Honda engine with right cooling conbined with proper thermal analysis, fuel management, some parts from HRC, specially the critical parts like con rods, bearings, cams and alloy pistons can make a turbo last as long as the N/A but with loads more fun.
Turboing is more expensive, and far more complicated. I prefer the simplistic...ness of N/A, and I already have some N/A performance parts (intake, header).

SheepStar

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't bother dropping in a whole new motor that is only 29ci bigger, unless you're going to FI that thing.

SheepStar
I've got about 150,000 miles on my engine. It's about time to drop a new one in anyway, so I might as well go a little bigger. I'm just looking to get a little extra torque without the extra weight of a 351.

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic

SheepStar
uh...29ci is nearly half a liter. pretty big jump in displacement.

darien: i would agree that a 331 would be nice, but i was just in cali and i saw your gas prices! :eek:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
uh...29ci is nearly half a liter. pretty big jump in displacement.

darien: i would agree that a 331 would be nice, but i was just in cali and i saw your gas prices! :eek:
Yeah, it's about $3.30 here. Up in the city, it's upwards of $3.50! Crap like that makes me think twice. But I love being able to put my foot down and go!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis