Close...

....but no cigar.

This is where it will be done.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Latest update

So this is where the car stands right now.

And here is whats left on the list of things to do..

1.) Buy and install P28 ECU and OBD-OBD1 conversion harness.
2.) Rebuild head with new valve seals (Have a week or so before my camshaft comes back from the machine shop, and 350 more bucks in my bank account..)
3.) Re-install head with new gaskets including valve cover.
4.) Buy Distributor cap, rotor, and wires with new spark plugs.
5.) Siphon gas tank and refill with 91 octane gas (not looking forward to this).
6.) Buy new hatch parts and install (this is going to be a PITA).
7.) Buy new crank pulley (AEM underdrive).
EDIT: 8.) Pull radiator and have it pressure tested.
9.) Check block and make sure it isn't warped. If so, I'll have to pull that and get it machined (Someone will die if I have to do this)

So yeah, still a way to go. Mainly because I need someone there to help hold things and such.

SheepStar

Last edited:
D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
So this is where the car stands right now.

And here is whats left on the list of things to do..

1.) Buy and install P28 ECU and OBD-OBD1 conversion harness.
2.) Rebuild head with new valve seals (Have a week or so before my camshaft comes back from the machine shop, and 350 more bucks in my bank account..)
3.) Re-install head with new gaskets including valve cover.
4.) Buy Distributor cap, rotor, and wires with new spark plugs.
5.) Siphon gas tank and refill with 91 octane gas (not looking forward to this).
6.) Buy new hatch parts and install (this is going to be a PITA).
7.) Buy new crank pulley (AEM underdrive).
EDIT: 8.) Pull radiator and have it pressure tested.
9.) Check block and make sure it isn't warped. If so, I'll have to pull that and get it machined (Someone will die if I have to do this)

So yeah, still a way to go. Mainly because I need someone there to help hold things and such.

SheepStar
Sheep. Teh bbq sauce there.

I was never a fan of civics untill recently. You;'re is verry sharp and looks nice and clean clean.

I just gave up the speedy car thing and bought a massive SUV yesterday, I've never been happier in my life but I miss the gass pedal sending my down the road quick fast in a hurry... But I have the bike for that.

Anyway nice job man, verry verry sharp.

What do you expect it to have at the wheels?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep. Teh bbq sauce there.

I was never a fan of civics untill recently. You;'re is verry sharp and looks nice and clean clean.

I just gave up the speedy car thing and bought a massive SUV yesterday, I've never been happier in my life but I miss the gass pedal sending my down the road quick fast in a hurry... But I have the bike for that.

Anyway nice job man, verry verry sharp.

What do you expect it to have at the wheels?
Thanks,

I'm hoping for ~135WHP. Should be enough to break the 15 second barrier. Tomorrow I'll be checking the block to see if it's warped and my valve seals and head gasket kit come, so I should start to make some real progress.

SheepStar

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
that is some decent beef if you pull that much HP.

it reminds me of my friends (we were Vdub boys) and the stripped down super clean no carpet GTi's they would build.

Not my style, but it was real fun to autocross.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
135 at the wheels with that weight you shouldn't have a hard time breaking below 15 I would think. I have the dyno sheet from my R - 172 at the wheels bone stock.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
So the head gasket kit and valve seals came yesterday, 340 dollars later.

The head is completely disassembled and undergoing some cleaning. The exhaust ports still have some carbon build up.

All the valves have been cleaned off and are awaiting lapping.

I still need to check my block to see if it's warped. Didn't have time, mainly because I slept in.

So far things are looking good.

SheepStar

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
do you work in a shop Sheep?

That would be fun.
I would like to chip my truck just for fun, but I don't know if it would be worth it. I'm more into the sound system now...

I hope to get some impressive beats soon.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
do you work in a shop Sheep?

That would be fun.
I would like to chip my truck just for fun, but I don't know if it would be worth it. I'm more into the sound system now...

I hope to get some impressive beats soon.
Yeah, I work at a dealership in the service department. I can't work on my car all day long, but I can come down on my days off.

SheepStar

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, I work at a dealership in the service department. I can't work on my car all day long, but I can come down on my days off.

SheepStar
Good for you.

I am sure your friends love you. My most precious friend is a mechanic basicaly, but went on to be an enginear with sound.

I can't tell you how many times he's saved me when it comes to cars etc.

You must be a popular guy!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Good for you.

I am sure your friends love you. My most precious friend is a mechanic basicaly, but went on to be an enginear with sound.

I can't tell you how many times he's saved me when it comes to cars etc.

You must be a popular guy!
Wow, you're friend did what I'm doing... I was lined up to start an apprenticeship with this dealership, but I decided to go for audio engineer also.

I have a few friends that like to get some minor work done (just did spark plugs for a friend). I don't do major stuff on anyone's cars though. I also don't do oil changes (it's a waste of my time, I'd rather teach them how).

Knowing even the basic things about cars will save you a LOT of money.

I'm going to start lapping my valves soon for my head, then everything goes back together.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hatch and tail lights

Update: I decided while I was waiting for the lapping supplies to come back I would install my new hatch and mod my tail lights (needed to replace some bulbs anyway).

I don't have any daylight pictures ATM (will get some tomorrow) but you can still get the idea. I picked up my new hatch of another civic that was written off. It's black, and personally, I think it looks really good with the white. The tail light mod is just adding a couple coats of red to make the entire light red (except for the reverse light). My car has amber rear corners, and they don't look good.

You can see the entire light is red, vs this.

Here is the new hatch installed. All I have to do is rewire it (had to cut the wires.)

I also gained a couple more horsepower here... :rolleyes:

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What was wrong with your old hatch? I kinda like the black hatch on there...but need to see better pics. Not feeling the lights though; I like the amber (since I had 2 Sis). Maybe you need to sand and polish them a bit and maybe they will look better. Why not just get the lights off a 90-91? That is an 89 right?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What was wrong with your old hatch? I kinda like the black hatch on there...but need to see better pics. Not feeling the lights though; I like the amber (since I had 2 Sis). Maybe you need to sand and polish them a bit and maybe they will look better. Why not just get the lights off a 90-91? That is an 89 right?
The lights will look stupid when I have the new middle piece in (it's black). I don't want the lights a bright red and then transition to the black middle piece. I'll be getting a better picture today.

The old hatch had a busted wiper motor, 4 working defroster lines (something I need here), and the mounts for the gas pistons to prop the hatch up where non existent. So I grabbed the black one off a VCC member and threw it on. Still needs to be wired (not looking forward to this).

In other news, I picked up my new OE aluminum rad today. It's exactly like stock, but aluminum. The Koyo and Fluidine rads for my car are not direct bolt ins and cost an arm and a leg.

SheepStar

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Here is the hatch back with the taillights installed.

Notice how the darker lights go with the flat black middle piece.

And here is the new radiator installed. Looks like stock, but shiny, and it will cool better as well.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Head is home!

I brought the head home today, should be going on Friday. Couple photo's for yall to see.

SheepStar

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
At what point will you have paid more in parts than the car?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis