Car modding/projects thread!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Brain Surgery Has Begun..

But it was quickly stopped when I couldn't get the crank pulley off (need impact gun).

So, this is whats going to be happening..

1.) D16Z6 head transplant
2.) ARP head studs
3.) New High Comp. headgasket.
4.) Adjustable Cam Gear
5.) Lightweight crank pulley
6.) OBD-OBD1 conversion harness
7.) P28 ECU (for VTEC)
8.) Header port match

Should be a fun project. If I complete it in time I'll see if I can get a run in at the local strip. Last date is in Oct.

SheepStar

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Not yet, the shop that did the install won't do it for liability reasons but I found how to at http://www.AVIC411.com. It's basically taking one wire and soldering it to another then grounding them to the chassis.

The wife and I are taking a road trip back home next week and I want her to be able to find POI's(motels, gas stations, etc.) on the navigation unit but you can't do that with the vehicle in motion. That takes a lot of the convince out of having nav imo.

Clint,

Here is the "baller" model in the Pioneer lineup the Z1.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/division/demo/0,,2076_310069681,00.html#unit=AVIC%20Z1
I don't know bout liability reasons or else, all the civic with gps will be ticketed. I learned that the gps in the civic is the only one that you operate while in motion (if there are others, i don't know bout it). But I know that you can't have dvd players that's viewable by the front passengers (in dash).

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord

Busted off the Crank pulley today.. as well as relieved the tension in the Alternator belt and unbolted the header.. but now I need to get the header apart.. won't fit through the bottom opening.

Tomorrow everything should be unbolted except for the head.. waiting until I have one to stick on there.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Starting to heat up.

Ok, so after work today I started wrenching yet again on the civic. Today, my main goal was getting the coolant out. However, my oil/coolant container was stuck in a car and the keys were gone. So in the time before the coolant container was accessible, I removed the crank pulley, removed the timing belt cover, and removed a plastic skit plate blocking the coolant drainplug.

Once I had my coolant container, I began loosening the drain plug. Now, before my HG blew, my car was overheating. I figured it was a sensor, but right when the drain plug came out, I knew that it was an air pocket. Why? Because I was blasted with coolant all over my torso. Quite a fun experience, but I guess any mechanic needs to get drenched once in a while.

The head is ready to come off. Just need to loosen the tension in the timing belt, unbolt the Intake manifold from the frame, and it should pop off. Tomorrow will be a big day.

SheepStar

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
How did I miss this?

This junk must go and did

New Ipd sways F&R and links F&R.
Stage II software with active interface and logging capability.

The stage II goes with a CAI and downpipe

And you need some lightweight forged wheels to round out the package with AWD and 325+hp

Super grocery getter complete. Oh yeah, '07 Volvo V70R.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Holy crap! SSR! You baller! I run Mugen's myself. :)

Do you ever hit up the local dragstrip, or destroy on the streets? What have you beaten? And don't even TRY to tell me you don't "push it" on the streets. Everyone does :p

SheepStar

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Sheep,
I'm guessing from the rust-free BC undercarriage that you've never had the pleasure of busting a nut trying to get a rusted bolt off under your car. Nor the pleasure of finally cracking loose a rusty bolt whilst lying on your back under the car and being showered with rust powder in your face and eyes. Life here in the rust belt has it's own simple charms.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep,
I'm guessing from the rust-free BC undercarriage that you've never had the pleasure of busting a nut trying to get a rusted bolt off under your car. Nor the pleasure of finally cracking loose a rusty bolt whilst lying on your back under the car and being showered with rust powder in your face and eyes. Life here in the rust belt has it's own simple charms.
Rust free? HA! We get snow too. My car is held together with undercoat. I snapped one of the bolts holding the plastic skirt on the front of the car.

SheepStar

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
Holy crap! SSR! You baller! I run Mugen's myself. :)

Do you ever hit up the local dragstrip, or destroy on the streets? What have you beaten? And don't even TRY to tell me you don't "push it" on the streets. Everyone does :p

SheepStar
No drag, although I may hit the track one day when my tires are near their end. I don't race, but no one has tried to beat me to a merge either. It's really not all that fast, you can't spit around here without hitting a 911 turbo, M3, 335, M5, E55, SL55, etc. It's just a wagon sleeper than can hit 100km/hr in about 5.5s and can return to 0 in just 110 feet. I can also make the suspension rock hard or soft at the touch of a button...

I love tinkering with cars. I'm jealous you have something that you can actually open up. Days gone by now with this new one.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
No drag, although I may hit the track one day when my tires are near their end. I don't race, but no one has tried to beat me to a merge either. It's really not all that fast, you can't spit around here without hitting a 911 turbo, M3, 335, M5, E55, SL55, etc. It's just a wagon sleeper than can hit 100km/hr in about 5.5s and can return to 0 in just 110 feet. I can also make the suspension rock hard or soft at the touch of a button...

I love tinkering with cars. I'm jealous you have something that you can actually open up. Days gone by now with this new one.
This thing is being the biggest pain in the ***. I need to go buy a 12mm 6 point open/box end wrench just to get off 1 bolt. I did however find out why my HG went, warped head! So, the VTEC head comes in a few days, then things will start up again.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Got head?

Ohhh yeah, Z6 head has arrived and been cleaned up, ready to be taken apart. First thing I did was strip the valve cover, then removed the VTEC solenoid. The head was cleaned in a part washer, and now the cam will come out so it can be reground.

This is the old head ready to come off..

And this is my box of goodies, including Stainless header, AEM SRI, AEM Trutime cam gear, and my VTEC solenoid.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Cam is out...

I had to wait to take the cam out, I needed someone to push down on the head so I could loosen the cam girdle bolts. After that was done, the valve train came off, and the cam came out.

And just to explain to those non OHC guys, this is how the VTEC system works. Pictured below is my camshaft. If you look at the 3 lobes in a line, those are all intake lobes. The smaller ones on the outside are the pre-VTEC intake lobes. The car runs off these lobes under 4800RPM. They're shaped and ground for good idling and fuel efficiency with decent low end torque. The bigger lobe is the VTEC intake lobe. At 4800RPM, the rocker arm for the large lobe locks with the smaller lobes, and the intake valve operate on that lobe. The lobe is ground for high end power.

Updates with the modlist..

1.) No ARP head studs, 10.4-1 compression doesn't require it, and that's $120 saved.
2.) The header will be heat-wrapped to help keep the heat down inside the engine bay.
3.)The VTEC cam is going to be reground. On a Z6 motor (head and block) there is a gain of 13whp, but since my car is running high compression (10.4 vs 9.6) I will likely see bigger gains, reaching 20whp.

SheepStar

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Sheepster,

If you're running 10.4:1 comp ratio don't you worry a bit about detonation? What kind of gas will you be running? Will you use water injection in case of detonation or retard timing?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Sheepster,

If you're running 10.4:1 comp ratio don't you worry a bit about detonation? What kind of gas will you be running? Will you use water injection in case of detonation or retard timing?
I'll be running 91 minimum. No water injection. The timing will be retarded until I use up my 87. So long the days of 24 dollars to fill the tank.

Every day I do a little more on the car, I keep getting cold feet. There is so much to do and research regarding which part to use from what engine. Timing belts, head gasket, spark plugs. The thing that is scaring me the most is the ECU and conversion harness. But, I have help from Vancouver civics, and a friend that has already performed the swap.

SheepStar

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Doesn't MDS have a unit that retards or advances your spark on the fly based on what gas you're using? I've been out of hot-rodding for too long.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cheerios, trail mix, cans of Bud and using your dryer as a work bench for your Honda.

You sir could inspire a Norman Rockwell fit for the back cover of the Bible.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Cheerios, trail mix, cans of Bud and using your dryer as a work bench for your Honda.

You sir could inspire a Norman Rockwell fit for the back cover of the Bible.
Ha, it was what I had. But I think I will be cleaning up that area so I have more room.

Just wait until tomorrow, I'll show you where my head is going to be rebuilt. ;)

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis